Single Contact Tail Lamp Bulbs.. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Single Contact Tail Lamp Bulbs..

I am really suprised that I have to ask this most basic and seemingly obvious question after consulting the Camaro owner's manual, the local car parts guy, online bulb suppliers and of course Google, but hey, here I am!

1969 non-RS rear tail lamp bulbs..

Page 77 of the Camaro owner's manual says that the Camaro's Tail, Stop and Rear Directional bulb is an 1157.
But, an 1157 is a Dual Contact (DC) bulb and the inner Tail lamp sockets on a 69 Camaro are Single Contact (SC).

The outer Tail, Stop and Rear Directional bulbs are an 1157 12V21W5W. So why can't I find a matching 12V5W (3 candle) SC bulb?

Here is a pic of my tail lamps. The outer is the 1157 using only the 5W Tail filament and the inner Tail is the only SC matching bulb I can find available, blaring away at 21W.

Please, to ask a stupid question, what is the correct bulb for the inner Tail lamp?

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 01:34 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Single Contact Tail Lamp Bulbs..

I think the inner and outer (well, 1 and 3) are supposed to be the same type of three wire socket. It looks like you've got a reverse light socket on there which goes in the middle. I'm not 100% certain but I think when the suppliers refer to the "inner" socket they are talking about the middle one for the reverse light and the two on each side are called "outer".

I'm pretty sure the sockets are one of the last original things left on mine and I'm 99% the four outers are all black three wire sockets and both function as running lights and brake lights....at least on mine. The reverse lights were yanked and I found them under the back seat. Previous owner must've given up on them when he switched it to a manual transmission.

You can see one of them here. I'll check for sure when I get home but I know all four light up with the same intensity with the lights on and am pretty sure they all function as brake lights.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Jul 31st, 10 at 03:04 AM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks.. These are exactly how the loom came from AAW.
The outer Brake-Tail-Turn is a dual contact, the middle Back-up a single, and the inner Tail also a single.
This is how the standard non-RS model is I'm quite sure and as it is in the AIM (UPC 12-D4), where you'll see the inner socket I am referring to has just a single 20ga Brown wire leading to it.
I'm quite sure it's correct, and I know RS models are different, -more like what you're suggesting.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 04:25 AM
Kevin

Steve, on a standard Camaro, the inner taillight is spec'ed for 1156, but the old 1156's intensity matched the park light filament on the 1157. New modern 1156s now match the brake/turn intensity. This has been discussed before and the bulbs used with the correct intensity were 1155 or 67 or 97, they are a small globed light with a single base. Luck!

Kevin

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

..Like the 631 courtesy bulbs?
I tried one.. It fits but is a tad brighter. (1W) Bummer.

I'll see what I can find. Thanks Kevin.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 04:46 AM
Kevin

I just checked mine and they are sylvania 67's. Same base as the 1156, but the correct intensity. They cross reference as a 1969 camaro rear license plate bulb. You should be able to find those pretty easily.

Kevin

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Great! Thanks again.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Well I'll be damned. Just got home and checked and mine are both three wire sockets on the outers. My wiring harness sure looks original so maybe my car was an RS originally. That sure sucks because it ain't no more. The washer bottle is on the driver's side though.....

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 06:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Recently here on Team Camaro I was reading about putting brighter bulbs in the brake light sockets. I read that the 67's and 97's fit so I bought a pair of the 97's that are the brighter of the two. When installing them I was puzzled as to why earlier I had put dual contact bulbs into a single contact socket. Now I know I was mislead by inaccurate information and maybe I am not going nuts. Maybe.......

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; Jul 31st, 10 at 08:32 AM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Well I'll be damned. Just got home and checked and mine are both three wire sockets on the outers. My wiring harness sure looks original so maybe my car was an RS originally. That sure sucks because it ain't no more. The washer bottle is on the driver's side though.....
I'm still using the original non-RS harness with my RS conversion and both outer sockets in each housing are 3-wire with dual fillament bulbs.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 08:41 AM
Kevin

The outers are 3 wire on all Camaros (RS and standard), it is the inboard socket that is different. Standard: 2 wire, single filament, white housing. RS: 3 wire, dual filament, brown housing. So you just have to look at the color of the plastic housing to figure out what you have

Kevin

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
The outers are 3 wire on all Camaros (RS and standard), it is the inboard socket that is different. Standard: 2 wire, single filament, white housing. RS: 3 wire, dual filament, brown housing. So you just have to look at the color of the plastic housing to figure out what you have
You sure on that, Kevin? Making sure we're talking about the back-up lamp, middle pod on a 69. When I converted to RS, I'm pretty sure it was a 2-wire socket, (+ and -) The socket I got for the conversion (back-up light below the bumper) is a single wire socket, using the chassis for ground. And no light at all in the center pod. In fact, I don't think a true 69 RS tail light housing even has a socket hole in the center pod. If I'm wrong though, it won't be the first or last time!

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 11:57 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

You are correct BPOS on the true 69 RS lamp housing only having two bulb sockets, both outer and both brown double contact.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 12:15 PM
Kevin

Al, the thread started life just talking about the difference between the standard outside socket and the inner (was not talking about the backup lights). The thread morfed a little and included RS, but I did not detail the backup light info since we weren't really talking about that.

But to clarify, Standard harnesses have 3 light sockets per side (brown outer for brake/park, white middle for backup light and white inner for park only). RS harnesses have 2 sockets and 1 plug (brown outer for brake/park, 1 wire plug that connects to backup light pigtail that comes up through the trunk pan and brown inner for brake/park)

Hope that clears things up

Kevin

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 10, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
Al

My mistake Kevin - I misunderstood what you meant by "inner". But back to the OP, judging from his picture, that harness looks wrong, correct? Wires to the sockets, from L to R, should be 3, 2, 3 for non-RS. Is the AIM different than what was actually produced?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode