Am I Going to Set My Car on Fire? & A GREAT manual for 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 10, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Am I Going to Set My Car on Fire? & A GREAT manual for 69

I pulled out an Auto Meter 6-gauge cluster from my 69. I'm replacing it w/ original dash, w/ clock, fuel and speedo, with a stand alone water temp. I would like to add a tach later.

All the other wiring works fine and is new, even if it's not the prettiest.

I found this dash harness: http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...ode=camaro6769

Two rookie questions:

1) Will this dash harness match up with the rest of the wiring that is already in the car (again, it's new and in working order).
2) Does this harness end at the firewall, or does anything go farther than that?

I've been studying some great diagrams from this manual I found on an old forum post: http://www.scribd.com/doc/32913817/69-Camaro-AIM, so I think the answer is "yes" to both questions; but just want to be sure. As someone mentioned (sorry I forgot who it was), the electric starts on p176.

I felt like this would be a great sticky, if it isn't already? Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ZaCamaro69; Aug 2nd, 10 at 11:17 PM. Reason: clarifying my first question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 10, 08:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: Am I Going to Set My Car on Fire? & A GREAT manual for 69

Probably don't want to make a sticky out of a copy righted book that has been scanned and posted on the internet.?.?

Why not use an original harness? Yes, they are expensive. But it would clean up the old (and new) hack job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 10, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
Probably don't want to make a sticky out of a copy righted book that has been scanned and posted on the internet.?.?

Why not use an original harness? Yes, they are expensive. But it would clean up the old (and new) hack job.

I'm on a budget, as always, so I was trying to use any parts that were still good. Was hoping the existing wires would work.

As for the manual, once it's on a free Internet source, like scribd, it's pretty much fair use, not copyright infringement, to post something like that. It's already posted on the forum pages, so posting it again won't be any worse. I only mentioned it b/c I saw someone on Tech looking for a manual for a 67... figured I wasn't the only one who was lost.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 10, 09:45 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I would use a harness from factory fit from American Auto Wire. I have had no issues wiring Camaro's with these and loads of trouble with others. http://factoryfit.com

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 10, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
I would use a harness from factory fit from American Auto Wire. I have had no issues wiring Camaro's with these and loads of trouble with others. http://factoryfit.com
Thanks for the advice... I'm going to call them tomorrow. Judging by previous posts, it sounds like they have solid customer service.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 10, 08:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegeBoy View Post
I'm on a budget, as always, so I was trying to use any parts that were still good. Was hoping the existing wires would work.

As for the manual, once it's on a free Internet source, like scribd, it's pretty much fair use, not copyright infringement, to post something like that. It's already posted on the forum pages, so posting it again won't be any worse. I only mentioned it b/c I saw someone on Tech looking for a manual for a 67... figured I wasn't the only one who was lost.
I hear you regarding the budget. I am the same way. I am always keeping my eye out for a good deal. I bought my harnesses when there was 20% off at one of the vendors. I am adding a few things. So, I had to replace more than one harness to make it all work. Plus, a couple were cut up pretty good, too.

The '68 instrument cluster is just one plug (plus clock power if you have it). So, it's a pretty easy fix if one is swapping back to original. Adding additional instruments to a non-factory gauge car is a bit more work. But they also have some harnesses for that! I'm not sure about '69s...

Interesting about the copyright thing. I hope more people scan all the books in the library so I can get them "legally"! One would think that the book companies would want to continue to make money on their books... But I have no idea how it really works.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
assembly, dash, harness, manual, wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode