Radio Circuit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Radio Circuit

My wiring diagram doesnt have the radio circuit at all and i dont have a factory radio, not sure if the car ever had one, i assume yes since i have an antenna. Im installing an aftermarket car stereo and would like to use the fuse designated as "radio" but dont know what wire to get the power from in my harness to use this fuse. I see no extra plugs under the dash that would have been for a radio

Second choice would be to use the heater/ac fuse as i dont have either. However i used a meter on all the wires on the heater control plug and the only one with power is the brown one but it has it with or without the heater fuse in.... I cant find what wire is fused for this circuit either.

thanks

Last edited by jeffs68camaro; Aug 12th, 10 at 06:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Radio Circuit

The radio is powered with a 20 ga. yellow wire. The fuse is on the right side of the fuse panel in the center, 10 amp I think.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Thanks! Where might i find this yellow wire in the harness? Does it join up with other wires somewhere? As i said, i see no plug that would have gone in a radio, perhaps thats a seperate harness that was removed? I located the fuse, i think it was the 2nd or 3rd from the bottom on the right. I tried using a fuse-tap but that didnt work and just ended up breaking the fuse. That is when i decided it was best to use the factory wire if i can find it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

On 69 radio power is a 20ga Yellow wire off the fuse panel according to the GM Service Manual I have - can't tell you if it's the same on a 68. The manual doesn't show any plugs in between so I would look at the big loom coming off the panel and follow it to see if you can find where it comes out - or pull back some tape and see if you can find it in there.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 02:24 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

1968 also use a 20ga Yellow wire.
RPO U57-A5, Item 8, main view and also view B.. "Power lead from body harness (Yellow wire)"

One would assume that this wire is in all standard looms, but like yourself, I can't see any yellow wire in the UPC 12-D2-3 diagram.

The U57 main diagram shows it hanging down at the harness support clip, that is closest to the instrument panel.
It's very possible that this wire has been cut off in the last 40 years as stereos come and go as frequently as owners and boy, I've seen the mess backyard stereo installers can make!

If you can access the loom near that clip, perhaps try removing some tape to hopefully reveal the end of that yellow wire.
Hopefully it's in there.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Well i found bits of yellow insulation along the harness but no wire. So it was either pulled out or burnt out. The only yellow wires i see left is one that goes to a connector junction in a clip up above the steering column area and a loop behind the fuse box which i cant tell where it goes, maybe to the eng comp?

So next question would be if i want to use the heater/ac fuse for my stereo what wire is the fused power wire that goes to that??

Last edited by jeffs68camaro; Aug 13th, 10 at 06:59 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 08:14 AM
Guess

http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

thanks. I have a copy of that but nowhere on there do i see the anwswers to what im looking for. For one that yellow radio wire isnt even on those charts. Also nowhere do i see any correspondence of wires to specific fuses. Actually looks like the brown connector with 12v in my heater plug goes to the fuse box. I cant figure what the 2nd orange is doing as it never has 12v in my car yet the diagram shows it going to the fuse box connector too

Last edited by jeffs68camaro; Aug 13th, 10 at 08:59 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

I got it wired up to the brown wire on the heater plug which does go to the fuse. The stereo has 2 power wires, a thick one that requires a fuse and a thin one that says to hook to a acc switched power. I ended up hooking them both up to here. I had originally thought maybe they had the thick one going right to a fuse/battery to preserve the presets/clock but even with them both on this switched fuse, i dont lose my presets. So not sure what the purpose is.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Depending on the type of radio, some will not lose their presets at all, some will lose their presets after the radio internal power supply/volt reg. filter caps have drawn down, some lose presets immediately.

Your presets may disappear after your car has been off 24 hours.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

You are right, it lost it a few hours later. So what i will do is rewire the thick 12v wire with a inline fuse to a always on source and wire a ground all the way to the battery on the other side of my cut-off switch. But i wonder if this will now make other items in the car power on when the battery switch is cutoff. Im thinking the radio chassis will now become a new grounding point and everything will try to ground to the battery thru the new wire i run to the battery...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 02:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs68camaro View Post
..and a loop behind the fuse box which i cant tell where it goes, maybe to the eng comp?
Probably to power the wiper motor. It can appear to be a "loop" from where is goes from the fuse box to the bulkhead connector.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs68camaro View Post
You are right, it lost it a few hours later. So what i will do is rewire the thick 12v wire with a inline fuse to a always on source and wire a ground all the way to the battery on the other side of my cut-off switch. But i wonder if this will now make other items in the car power on when the battery switch is cutoff. Im thinking the radio chassis will now become a new grounding point and everything will try to ground to the battery thru the new wire i run to the battery...
There are generally 2 grounding points on the dash harness. You can use one of those from the radio chassis.
Brake pedal bracket and possibly the center dash brace is used. (As it is in a 69)

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

yea i have it grounded now to the dash but thats not my worry. I use a battery cutout switch to shut the car off. If i want the presets to stay alive then i need to run a seperate ground wire to the battery to the other side of my cutoff switch. But if i do that then i worry that everything else in the car will now take that path thru the radio chassis to the battery... So accidently try to start the car with the battery cutoff on, then the radio/ground wire will melt!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 10, 04:56 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I think I saw a cutoff switch somewhere that keeps your presets alive. You might try google.

But, you don't want more than a 1A (500mA would work) fuse for your preset supply. That would eliminate any potential malfunctions if that is your concern. 1 amp won't carry much of anything in these cars.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode