Running down electrical problems - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Question Running down electrical problems

I'm restoring a 67 Camaro RS. Options include: Factory AC, 4-speed, dash tach, power steering, factory power front disc brakes. I bought and installed all new wiring harnesses throughout. Been running down electrical problems and got it down to four final issues - the back-up lights, turn signals, wipers, and heater blower motor

First the turn signals....
I have a restored floor shift steering column with a new turn signal switch installed. I turn on the ignition and when I engage the turn signal lever in either the left or right position, nothing happens. But when I engage the emergency flashers they work, except for the left signal indicator in the dash does not come on at all. Brake lights work, the instument panel lights up when the headlights are turned on, the horn works. The dash harness is a manual trans with console guage type; however, no console is installed. I've checked all grounds in the engine compartment area, and all appear to have contact. What next?

Back-up lights....
The back-up lights are not connected to the switch on the transmission. I was just wondering how the body harness connects to the switch on the trany. I've heard of a separate harness that connects to the body harness under the dash next to the emergency brake lever and runs under the dash to a hole in the firewall where the transmission switch harness meets into it. Is this correct?

Wipers...
I turn on the wiper switch and nothing happens, Its a new motor. What could be the problem??

Blower motor....
I turn on the ignition and flip the fan switch on the A/C panel and nothing happens. How do I check if I'm getting power to blower motor??

There's got to be a systematic way of running down and fixing these issues. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 12:26 PM
Kevin

Re: Running down electrical problems

The proper method for chasing electrical issues is to look at the diagrams and see where the closest 12V junction is. Make sure you have 12v at the junction, then follow the path to the switch and then to the unit. Also make sure the ground path is good (common problem). You can also ohm out switch contacts to check the switches. Wipers are the odd duck, they get 12v all the time, but the switch controls the ground path instead of the 12v path. Luck!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The above post ..every point hits the nail on the head.

Quote:
I'm restoring a 67 Camaro RS.
And as mentioned above grounds espec on a new resto...they must have quality star washes to break the paint surface....I like using stainless steel, they do not collaspe before penitating the paint.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Turn signals, may not be getting power to the flasher, pink wire for power? Or dead flasher, usually lights work with a dead flasher.
Could be turn signal switch as brake light power goes through t/sig switch.

Back up lights have a switch on trans w/linkage rod on reverse lever and plugs into connector on firewall next to gas pedal, if female connector exists, OE design.

Wiper switch provides ground as Kevin suggests through dash mounting of switch.
No ground through switch body to dash, no workie.

Blower power to orange wire except for HIGH speed, then through relay on firewall next to suitcase, engine side.
All other speed power through resistor block for blower motor in duct work.
Connector plugged in/on? Fuse for A/C/Heater good? Blower work with hot wire from battery to blower terminal? Ground must exist through motor frame to body. Ground straps on firewall to engine block?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 10:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Turn signal power wire is purple from flasher to switch. Pink to flasher. In case you are checking for power to switch. Hazzard flasher and power are different (brown wire). Fuse is also different...

Back up wires to a 2 pin connector are pink and light green under dash near pedals. There is a intermediate harness from there to firewall. Then, the switch harness connects to it from the other side of the firewall. There is a "boot" on each end of the connector at the firewall connection.

Make sure wiper body is grounded. Switch, too.

Wiper has it's own fuse.

I'm sure you checked the fuses. But I tend to think (write) out loud... I bought all new harnesses made by AAW. The tach wire didn't have continuity out of the box! So, don't put all of your bets on the harnesses being perfect. Yes, that was just one out of, what, 8? Though, the ignition switch connector was smashed, too... I checked every circuit while they were still out of the car. Switches, too. Mainly to verify the schematics and make notes on how the switches, etc. really work. FWI, I have a '68.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode