What is needed for installing floor console gauges and tic-toc tach? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What is needed for installing floor console gauges and tic-toc tach?

Hey guys,

What do I need to install the aftermarket floor console guages and the tic-toc tach on my 68?
Do I need a new dash instrument circuit board for the tach? I have the fuel guage where the tach will go now, and the fuel guage will end up on the floor console. So do I also need a new circuit board made for a tach rather than a fuel guage?
Also, how difficult is this undertaking? Am I going to be waaaaaay over my head on this if I have never done it before?
Thanks a lot for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 09:53 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: What is needed for installing floor console gauges and tic-toc tac

Well I can only describe for a 69 which I assume would be the same
Quote:
What do I need to install the aftermarket floor console guages and the tic-toc tach on my 68?
you need the consol, the gauges and pod they fit in and the wiring loom to hook into the main loom...note there is also wiring to go thru to the engine bay for the ampmeter.
The unit we got for a friends resto also came with a wiring circuit
Quote:
Do I need a new dash instrument circuit board for the tach?
No, that tach wires into the loom.

Quote:
Also, how difficult is this undertaking?
Depends if you take the seats out or not..no seats lot easier
Seriously thu it is not diffcuilt , but is time consuming....just following the circuit diagrams, Wires are all colour coded...you may find a couple of wires that connect into the looms, baynet fittings inside the loom...not a problem you can feel them iside and a small cut.
If you have Air Con, pull the lower ducting out..a few screws.. to hook up the oil line and run the loom correctly behind and under it
We didnt have the radio in..pull that out to..makes thing comfortable.
Most important...get a small matress and pillow to make yourself comfortable laying on the floor...If you are comfortable, you think clearer and the job goes far better..and less stress hassles.
2x and 3x check each connection is correct before moving onto the next.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 10, 05:23 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Just the under dash wiring harness for a console car with gauges and the console extension harness w/gauges. Hopefully, you already have the tach and console.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 10, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Well I can only describe for a 69 which I assume would be the same

you need the consol, the gauges and pod they fit in and the wiring loom to hook into the main loom...note there is also wiring to go thru to the engine bay for the ampmeter.
The unit we got for a friends resto also came with a wiring circuit

No, that tach wires into the loom.

Depends if you take the seats out or not..no seats lot easier
Seriously thu it is not diffcuilt , but is time consuming....just following the circuit diagrams, Wires are all colour coded...you may find a couple of wires that connect into the looms, baynet fittings inside the loom...not a problem you can feel them iside and a small cut.
If you have Air Con, pull the lower ducting out..a few screws.. to hook up the oil line and run the loom correctly behind and under it
We didnt have the radio in..pull that out to..makes thing comfortable.
Most important...get a small matress and pillow to make yourself comfortable laying on the floor...If you are comfortable, you think clearer and the job goes far better..and less stress hassles.
2x and 3x check each connection is correct before moving onto the next.
Cool! Thanks a lot for the help on this! I was a little worried about taking this on myself sinse I do not have the gauges in my floor console, or the tach in my instrument panel.
Wish me luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 10, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If you already have the consol in....unbolt the trans lever from the floor and the consol for good access
Whatch when putting the cover over the gauges, the cover gauge lens are rather weak set in...I ended up using small drops of rtv to hold them in place...could have used model plastic glue, but that tends to be perminent.
Watch when cliping the unit into the consol..takes a little to figure out how it goes in and the tags are not that strong....
Just be comfortable, careful patient, one step at a time and follow instructions exactly.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode