Installing\Pointing headlights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 10, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Exclamation Installing\Pointing headlights

I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the headlight bulbs in the buckets and have them turned the right way... not aimed... installed in their buckets.

The bulbs have 'tabs' that are supposed to fit into the adjustable buckets so that they're turned the right way... rightside up so to speak. I'm assuming the word General Electric and other numbers go rightside up?

When I do that, the bulbs are turned sideways which makes the light shine the wrong way, even if I aim them. The high beams point the wrong way, which tells me the bulbs aren't oriented properly. I'm guessing the slot in the center filament thing is supposed to aim down when the bulb is in right?

The brackets that mount to the core support can only go on one side, and can't be mixed up, correct? I went by "the book". Then the adjustable bulb buckets attach to them. If I turn the buckets around, or swap them to the other side, the tabs for the bulbs STILL won't be in the right places to mount the bulbs! They only mount to the brackets one way.
What am I doing wrong? Are bulbs car specific? I might have the wrong bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BulbBucket.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	17603  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 10, 11:19 AM
Kevin

Re: Installing\Pointing headlights

Joe, I had a little bit of ?? when I was setting mine up. I cannot remember what I did to make them correct, sorry. I think there were L & R buckets. Take the buckets out of the brackets and fit the bulbs and trim rings in the bucket 1st, then see if you can install them with the GE words reading correctly. I know the brackets are different left vs right.

Kevin

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 10, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Yeah... the brackets AND the buckets are side-specific.
I'm thinking that the bulbs I have are wrong or something because the 'tabs' on them do NOT fit the indentations in the buckets. I just turned them to what I thought was the right orientation and tightened the rings down for now.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 10, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Bulbs usually have 'TOP" on the glass. At least the lines are horizontal.
Could it be defective bulbs?
Maybe the bracket the bulbs fit into have the tabs in the wrong place? Old one to compare, or another picture?

Aiming headlights is easy.
Preliminary: Proper tire pressure, half tank of fuel, empty trunk except for spare tire and jack, drvr and pass in interior.
Measure from the ground to the center of the grille and transfer to the garage door/wall with tape.
Measure from the center grille to headlamp center and transfer to garage door, both sides and mark tape.
Mark with tape, a horizontal line 2" under lamp center above step. Place a tape +, this lower horizontal line/+ is the new center line/spot for the high beam.
Align a carpenter's square and string from the center of the + to the center of the headlamp with the headlamp 25 feet from door.
Adjust headlamps accordingly.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

Last edited by Everett#2390; Sep 4th, 10 at 02:11 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 10, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Actually I have two different bulbs... neither fit the buckets. One bucket is an original (original to what, I have no idea... it's OLD) and one I bought from NPD, but the old one is the same as the new one so it must be from my Camaro.
It's just one more thing on this car that's tweeking me out.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 10, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
mark

Joe take the one in the picture and put it on the other side with the notch in the center hole up , that also puts the angled adjustment screw hole on top .see if that works
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 10, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Guess

I was going to swap them side-to-side but then they won't attach to the brackets. The adjustment screws and the springs won't mate to the opposite brackets.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 10, 04:01 PM
Senior Tech
mark

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 10, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Now I gotta go out and pull them apart again!

Thanks Mark.... I'll let you know what I find.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 10, 04:10 PM
Senior Tech
mark

Joe the spring goes in the square hole in the trim ring not the bucket .
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 10, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Whatta you mean? The chrome ring around the bulb? Wow... that's a lot of pressure on that thin metal. Where you see it on mine now (bottom left) it's under some serious pressure.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 10, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
mark

Yes thats where mine are , if you look in the AIM 12A3 the bulb ,bucket and ring are already assembled . The ring is stainless steel and the extra one i have has scratches and the edge is marked from the spring .
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 10, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Hmmmm.... well, I'll give it a try. That's gotta be what's wrong then.
I tried following the AIM but you know... it only gets you so far when you have to interpret those hieroglyphics.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 10, 07:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

just put a new motor on my RS last nite ,,, here is a pic of the spring installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2283.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	17614  

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

Last edited by Camaro67_rcl; Sep 5th, 10 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 10, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Guess

I guess I have it all wrong.... heading to the garage!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode