Interior lights dim but wont turn off - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 10, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Interior lights dim but wont turn off

When the door opens, the lights go on bright but when the door closes they dim but still stay on.

Turn the light switch to no avail.

Bad light switch symptom?
Ideas?

thank you.

1968 Convertible L92 VVT project, Hotchkiss lowering front & rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 10, 09:11 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Interior lights dim but wont turn off

A ground in in the door jam (car been painted recently) not good
or crap in the door switch...which unscrews easy enough..take note where the lock nut sits, otherwise if too high u can break it, if too low doesnt turn off at all.
Quick check..as to which door, close one (or better still have someone push the switch all the way in on the other door

And now the obvious door switch ont adjusted right...
This may sound silly...dont forget to close the other door before checking the one looking at...
The interor light part of the main switch is generally very reliable after 40 yrs..it is the other parts that tend to give up the ghost 1st.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 05:03 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

With the doors closed, will turning the light switch make the interior light go bright?

If not, investigate light switch.

What happened to cause it to start malfunctioning (i.e. what was the last thing you did?)

Two things on my '69 will cause similar symptoms as you are describing.

A. The whole light switch assembly gets turned (not just the knob) and finds ground against the metal dash.

B. One of my underdash courtesy lights (vert. here) gets popped out of it's holder and finds ground on the lamp bracket.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 05:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Are all of the fuses installed and good? It sounds like feedback to me, meaning some other circuit is getting ground back through the dome light circuit. I can't recall ever having a feedback problem on a first gen Camaro but have seen it on several newer models.

Jeff
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech

like chops said look for underdash courtesy light thats poped out of holder & is grounding out.this about drove me insane untill i found the bulb out of the holder.sounds crazy but i took my harness out from trunk to dash before i saw bulb out of socket on pass side
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Thanks for ideas. Will check when I get back.
For clarification, the light stays on dim but will brighten when the door is opened or when turned on via headlight switch. So I think the door switch is good.

I did just put vintage air in so definitely will check to see if I bumped the light switch while I was in there behind the air ball.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech

Perhaps someone tapped into to the white wire on the interior lamps as a power source that is providing a substitute ground.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 10, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

After tapping things I notice if I tap the light switch hard they flicker (vert so no dome light). Pushed in switch hard and they went off. Is this typical of a bad OE switch or is it still ground somewhere?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 10, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post

A. The whole light switch assembly gets turned (not just the knob) and finds ground against the metal dash.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 10, 10:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Pushed in switch hard and they went off. Is this typical of a bad OE switch or is it still ground somewhere?
Like I mentioned above the or a switch may just need adjusting slightly...
It could have been set just so it breaks the circuit...time heat, wear, paint worn a smiggen on the door jam so now it is not quite turning off.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 10, 12:38 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68problemchild View Post
I did just put vintage air in so definitely will check to see if I bumped the light switch while I was in there behind the air ball.
Yes, that's most likely it if it worked fine before the a/c install. The switch just provides ground to the dome light which always has 12V on the other side of it. The wire is on a plunger on the back side of the pushbutton and when the door is closed, it is pushed away from the switch body which is grounded through the door jamb. When you open the door, the plunger slides back foward and contacts the back side of the switch providing ground. If there is any corrosion on the back of the switch and the plunger only moves a little when the door closes, it'll conduct enough to turn the light on dimly due to the extra resistance of the crud and poor contact. Easy to see how it operates if you pop the kickpanel off. If you can push the passenger side switch all the way in with your finger and the lights go out, there you go. If they're old, it would be a good time to sand off any crud on them and dab on a little dielectric grease.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 10, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Good lord. After all this I grab a wire down my knee and follow it back. Turns out the bulb had displaced itself from the flat metal holder and was intermittently contacting and non contacting.

Twist bulb in tight to flat metal holder and whammo fixed. Now how one light turns keeps the whole underdash going I have no idea but its fixed now.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 10, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Turns out the bulb had displaced itself
So it was a "conitunity " issue lol

I love it when other ppl man up to silly things like this.....I know im not alone

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 10, 09:49 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Your question answered in post # 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68problemchild View Post
Now how one light turns keeps the whole underdash going I have no idea but its fixed now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
B. One of my underdash courtesy lights (vert. here) gets popped out of it's holder and finds ground on the lamp bracket.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 10, 07:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Same thing happened to mine. Lights would come on when I shifted. The bulb was contacting the holder and grounding.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode