Console Temp Gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 10, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Phil

Console Temp Gauge

I finally installed a new reproduction temp gauge in my console pod and a temp sender from Rick's in the drivers cylinder head. Gauge is grounded good and has proper voltage. I installed it exactally as instructed. I was running an Autometer temp gauge on my car for several years. On a hot summer day, my engine usually ran about 190 degrees, and I never seen it hit 200 even in stop and go traffic. Now when I drive my car with the original gauge in operation, it only gets up to the second mark from COLD on the factory gauge. I came home from a show in August with it 100 outside and the gauge got up to the third mark from COLD and knowing my engine as well as I do it was probably around 195. This just doesn't relly look right to me. I think the needled should be at least over the 1/4 way mark and maybe even on the half way mark when my enine is around 195 degrees. I tried to gentle pull the needle off the gauge and was going to index it farther forward but the needle didn' want to come off. So rather than tearing my new gauge up I stopped trying. My question is, how can I get this gauge to read higher or normal I should say? The temp sender I got from Rick's has the mushroom head which I now know is for the idiot light. Would the correct sender for gauges (with the threaded stud) read differently? I thought about buying 3 or 4 sender units and installing them to see if they show differen't on the gauge, but that sure would be a lot of trouble dropping the coolant everytime just to change them all out. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get my gauge to read about the 1/2 way mark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 10, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Re: Console Temp Gauge

You said you got the sender for the idiot light. You need the one for the gauge setup. Tlhe idiot light sender is merely an on-off affair whereas the temp gauge sender varies resistance to the gauge.

alan
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 12:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

x2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Phil

Well I changed out the temp sender today with the correct one for gauges with the threaded stud on the end. The temp gauge is reading the exact same as it was with the other sender. I guess my new gauge isn't calibrated right or whoever assembled it put the needle on in the wrong place.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Gauge normally reads 1 tick above 1/4 scale with the engine operating around 180 degrees, thats just how the originals work.

Heres some resistance values for three senders 6 dollar TU5 Wells sender from Autozone, 25 dollar "correctly calibrated" Lectric Limited model 01513321, and an original GM 1513321 sender (for a Pontiac Firebird - one with the slide on connector- Camaros use a 1513462 with a screw on lug).

80 degrees: Wells at 650 ohms, LL at 573 ohms, GM at 549
90 degrees: Wells at 526 ohms, LL at 445 ohms, GM at 524
100 degrees: Wells at 429 ohms, LL at 365 ohms, GM at 409
110 degrees: Wells at 328 ohms, LL at 266 ohms, GM at 365
120 degrees: Wells at 283 ohms, LL at 227 ohms, GM at 323
130 degrees: Wells at 250 ohms, LL at 200 ohms, GM at 272
140 degrees: Wells at 216 ohms, LL at 170 ohms, GM at 227
150 degrees: Wells at 198 ohms, LL at 155 ohms, GM at 195
160 degrees: Wells at 173 ohms, LL at 133 ohms, GM at 175
170 degrees: Wells at 157 ohms, LL at 119 ohms, GM at 157
180 degrees: Wells at 135 ohms, LL at 101 ohms, GM at 140
190 degrees: Wells at 120 ohms, LL at 89 ohms, GM at 125
200 degrees: Wells at 109 ohms, LL at 79 ohms, GM at 109
212 degrees: Wells at 104 ohms, LL at 75 ohms, GM at 102

If you have a gauge with an external resistor you can change it from the stock 86 ihm resistor to a 91 ohm resistor and that will move the gauge up to 1 tick below half, at 180 degrees. I've done that, I use a potentiometer with two short leads on it, I adjust it to what i want the gauge to read and then lock it down in a ball of electrical tape so it can't change. If your gauge has the resistor built into it, then you have to live with it reading low, or get a sender that has a lower resistance at each of the temps above. As you can see the LL sender had a lower resistance throughout the range of the instrument for any given temperature so the needle would be higher on the gauge for the same temperature.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Last edited by Mark C; Oct 4th, 10 at 07:07 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 07:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

My sender has a unthreaded pin... Not sure if the resistance values are any different. Probably not.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode