I am looking for a wire - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 10, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to tony -Di
I am looking for a wire

hi for a 1968 camaro I am looking for a wire. iI need a wire that is switched with the ignition and has power when the starter is cranking is there one ?
thanks
tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 10, 05:14 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: I am looking for a wire

Inside the car or under hood ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 10, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

If under the hood look for the big purple wire going to the starter solenoid. Origonates at neutral safety switch if installed. Otherwise, go to back of ignition switch and get the S terminal and either tie into it with another wire or tap into the wire that connects to that terminal..

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 10, 06:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Yup just follow the hot solenoid wire. Put a volt meter on it and test it with key on and off.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 10, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If he is looking for ignition power during START, then tapping from the purple/white wire is going to backfeed ign power to solenoid. If power from the purple wire before the NSS, then every time Park or Neutral is selected, starter will engage.

Set up two relays, a time delay on opening for the one installed in Start, activated by start command and delayed off time to allow ign relay, the second one installed, activated by ign power, to supply uninterrupted power from a battery junction block

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 10, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

I thought this wasnt going to be easy . first thanks for the response's and yes the wire is inside it's for a remote lock controler the directions suckto say the least . the directions say (white +12 volt parking light output ) find the wire that supplies switched positive 12 v to the ignition this wire is usually located in the steering colunmn harness this wire will have positive 12v when key is in ignition position and when starter is cranking
the next wire .(yellow +12 volt switched ignition ) find the wire that supplies positive 12v to the parking lights only this wire is losated at the headlight / parking light switchor the light itself
i probly dont have to us these wires it to flash the parking lights when i lock or unlock it
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 10, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony -Di View Post
find the wire that supplies switched positive 12 v to the ignition this wire is usually located in the steering colunmn harness this wire will have positive 12v when key is in ignition position and when starter is cranking
It sounds like this system has a remote start feature. If it does you have to make sure you tap into the correct wire on the ignition switch harness.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 10, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would think if installing a remote lock controller, one would want battery voltage for the controller to flash the lights and lock the doors?

Use the BAT spade on the fuse panel and tap the controller into the brown wire for parking lights and side markers. The controller would be flashing the p/lights when fob button is pushed.

If remote start, check controller to see if it can handle the current of the solenoid and tap into purple/white wire. Otherwise, a starter relay will be needed if controller cannot handle current.

Ignition feed can be tapped into resistive primary coil wire for ign power and battery power from fuse panel spade, or junction block. If manual trans, bypass or jumper NSS wire as needed to fool it and remember to leave trans in neutral and parking brake on. Once car starts, and yes, starter has enough torque to roll car, the car will run on its own.

Ign reference pulses can be tapped from coil neg terminal to controller - no pulses, no start.

Good luck.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 10, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

thanks
I am not going to use the remote start and i will tempery hook up the wires for the park lights if it doesnt work i won't use it
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 10, 08:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony -Di View Post
I thought this wasnt going to be easy . first thanks for the response's and yes the wire is inside it's for a remote lock controler the directions suckto say the least .

Look at the fuse block on the floorboard. There is a block labeled IGN and it should have a male spade terminal next to the fuse. That one is hot with the key ON and in START position. Just put a female spade connector on your wire and plug it onto that. I'm running both my HEI and my EFI system off that feed.

You'll see some others:
BATT - hot all the time
ACC - hot with key in ACC position

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 10, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

thanks i am not going to be able to get back to working on it till this weekend and ill check it
tony
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 10, 10:47 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Are you working on your alarm install still?
I doubt you need a cranking V+ supply.

My alarm and anyone I've ever used have batt V+ and IGN V+.
The ign V+ triggers the doors to lock after a predetermined time after ~5 secs of latch.

I have/modified a Clifford alarm -
Channel 1 door locks/ alarm mode
Channel 2 trunk unlock
Channel 3 RS doors open/close
Plus other security measures undisclosed

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 10, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

yes i am still working on it but , i have not been able to acualy do anything since last week . work got busy so i have been getting home late and going in early i hope to clean up the wiring and put every thing back in this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4497.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	18814  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 10, 09:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Wilson

Tony, for 12 V ign controlled power source under hood - check out the wiper motor supply - I tapped off it for a relay control for daylight driving lights - advice from some one on this site. Also, if you have a 67 RS, there are ign + in amongst the relays - found them after the wiper tap.

Wilson
67 RS Convertible stock # matching 327/210 PG
Original owner
Full rotisserie restoration back on the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode