67 parking lights ??? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

67 parking lights ???

I know the 67 parking lights were originally designed to go off when the headlights came on. Has anyone found a good method to allow them to remain on when the headlights come on ??

67 'Bird vert 455 JW TH400 KRE d-port 310 cfm heads H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 67 parking lights ???

Will a 68-up headlight switch work?

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
Will a 68-up headlight switch work?
I don't think so. Different pin outs. But I plan to look into it. I know you can put a jumper between the turn signal and tail light wires since the tail lights are always on. But I seem to remember hearing about moving the front parking light wire to a different location and it working off the same circuit that the tail lights do. I guess I need to test my light switch/harness a little.

67 'Bird vert 455 JW TH400 KRE d-port 310 cfm heads H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 07:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I did a diode mod on my '67 switch to accomplish this. If you PM me your email I can send you a photo tonight. It is incredibly simple. (If you can solder)

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Well I found this post over on the Performance Years site. It's how they did their 64-67 GTOs. I also found a pic of my 67 switch on Autozone.com and it looks the same. I plan to test my switch in the next cpl of days. It's actually very simple. You just move the parking light lead, purple on my harness, from one pin to another that is straped in the switch to the tail light circuit.

Here's a link on how they did it. I'll post some results after I test out my harness. I figure the switch and harness should be the same for Camaros and Firebirds for 1967 models.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=586289

And if you ever want a single element side marker to blink with the turn signals here's how ...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...rkerflash.html

And here's a link to my thread on the PY site. Interesting differences between the 67 and 68 switch internals.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...77#post4168477

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 08:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

My way you don't have to mod your harness. I believe the difference between the 67 and 68 switch is that the 68 switch has a jumper across those two pins to accomplish the same thing so you could just go with a 68 switch. I'm not 100% sure but if some one has a photo of the 68 switch I could be.

-
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
My way you don't have to mod your harness. I believe the difference between the 67 and 68 switch is that the 68 switch has a jumper across those two pins to accomplish the same thing so you could just go with a 68 switch. I'm not 100% sure but if some one has a photo of the 68 switch I could be.

I can't post pics here. But my post on PY has a pic of both the 67 and 68 switch. You can se this diff. And changeing the harness is actually pretty easy to do. Especially if it's still out of the car.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 10:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

FWIW, very dangerous to use AutoZone as a reference for anything but that said, I see the difference and it looks like they just eliminated that one spade in 68 and wired as you suggest. Modding the switch or harness, either way, it should work out fine.

-

Last edited by Melrose RS; Dec 1st, 10 at 02:55 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 10:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Mark, I like your idea. I would like to do the same. What way are you considering doing this? Will you still have turn function?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokedcamaro View Post
Mark, I like your idea. I would like to do the same. What way are you considering doing this? Will you still have turn function?

Ok here goes. Will probably be a little long but I'll give out all my secrets ... LOL

Now that I know how the switch works here's my "NEW" plan.

I'll leave the harness in it's current configuration. So the front turn signals will turn off when the headlights come on.

Now, since 67's did not have side markers on them I plan to get creative. If you are familiar with the 1st gen Birds at all this should make sense. I plan to replace the front fender "Bird" badge with the rear "Bird" side marker from a 1969 Firebird. I'll make my own clear lens from a kit I can get at my local hobby shop since you have to run clear or amber fron side marker lamps. I'll use my new found connection in my switch to power the front side markers.

For the rear side markers I plan to use 1968 Firebird rear arrow head markers. These I'll tie into the rear tail light circuits.

I'll wire all the side marker ligts to blink based on the info in the post above. So the side markers will always be on but blink with the turn signals.

I also plan to merge a 1968 and a 1969 Camaro valance to have both my front turn signals and the 69 lights for driving lights. That way my stock lights will still be turn signals and I can have driving/fog lights with having to mount them under the bumper which looks very tacky.

Here's another tip I have discovered about the headlights on our cars. They were always so dim. Well if you use a cpl of relays to control your low and high beams as described in this link - http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...adlights.shtml your dim stock headlights will be a think of the.

Hope this explains my plans and/or answers some of your questions.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
FWIW, very dangerous to use AutoZone as a reference for anything but that said, I see the difference and it looks like they just eliminated that one spade in 68 and wired as you suggest. Modding the switch or harness, either way, it should work out fine.
LOL I hear ya about the autozone thing. But that's the first place I looked for pics. I also found opics on RockAuto that were the same.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode