LED turn signal /auto meter gauge problems...help !! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 10, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

LED turn signal /auto meter gauge problems...help !!

I'm wiring up my 67 Camaro RS without gauges the front turn signal works. Then, when I brought in the autometer cluster / LED turn signals hooked everything up ...turned ign the turn signals flash but also the speedo and tach light (AUTOMETER) both flash with the turn signal. When I turn on the headlights...no blinking. I'm getting juice from each turn sig wire.
The car has a new AAW harness, DSE electric headlight kit, the turn signals share thye same ground -could this be a problem? I'm sure this is ground related, but I;m lost...I've done a lot of searching but most seem to have the factory setup. The original ground for the cluster isn't hooked up because the AM gauges and LED 's have their own grounds...any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have much hair left- I've been pulling it out for the last 3 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 10, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech
Tony B

Re: LED turn signal /auto meter gauge problems...help !!

you need to start taking things back apart.. check each harness individually..undo grounds and set up a battery charger for power...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 10, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

First, what lights are LED?
Just the inst cluster indicators and the rest of the bulbs external of the dash are filament?
Or, is the front t/sig's LED also?

A ground is a ground is a ground. Use the ohmmeter to check continuity of the ground back to the battery, should be less than 1 ohm, maybe two.

As '69 suggests, undo everything, attach a battery charger for proper power, and hook up one circuit at a time.
Instructions given with the gauge panel/lights?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 10, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the replys. These are just instrument cluster LED (STOCK DIRECTIONAL/PARKING LIGHT UP FRONT) I'll take everything apart today. Like I said, the front turn signals work fine( turning and hazard) my problem is at the cluster.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 10, 10:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Post Re: LED turn signal /auto meter gauge problems...help !!

I had a similiar problem when I installed my autometers. All of my gauges were electric. Initially I tied all of the grounds together (series I think its called). When I turned my turn signals on, the other gauge indicators would flicker (like the volt meter). I ended up separating the grounds for the lights (gauge), the gauge (ground) and the turn signals and grounding them separately at different places. This corrected the problem. I suspect your light problem might be tied into that but try separating the grounds first and see if it helps.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 10, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Update..I haven't hooked up the tailights yet ( we're expecting them in a few days) wonder if that has any bearing.... I realize the tail is grounded to the tail light panel brackets without these hooked up may be a problem - but I thought just for the rear - all my problems are in the front. Also , when I step on the brake , the gauge lights come on.
One more thing ...the bright/headlamp switch on the floor cuts out the normal headlight when I switch from high beam to normal....sometimes it works , sometimes not...I'll replace that tomorrow.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 10, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

It might as the OE flasher is a thermal circuit breaker and relies on the current drawn through the device to make/break the circuit.

You can replace the flasher with a LF12 flasher at your local store, or a 552, as they are independent of current drawn. This will allow you to troubleshoot the lights.

As far as the present action happening, gauge lights coming on when brake switch is made, make sure the return of the LED's is on a good ground. The gauge illumination is a gray wire from the light switch.

The site for flashers: http://www.novitatech.com/tridonflashers.html LF12 is about middle of the page, yellow cylinder.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 11, 10:07 AM
Bill

I have a similar problem. I installed a OEM console gauge kit and gauge cluster tach which replaced the gas gauge. The right turn signal will light and blink the console gauge and gauge cluster. When applying the brake pedal it will light the console and gauge cluster. Any ideas?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 11, 12:57 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Sounds like a ground back feeding...as above said, seperate them guages on one and lights on another

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode