Voltage Readings ... 55 BelAir - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 10, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Voltage Readings ... 55 BelAir

There may be a simple explanation, but I don't know it yet. I have stock wiring other than an alternator w/int regulator conversion and I use a Crane XRI conversion unit. In taking voltage readings with car running, I get approx 14.5 to 14.9 volts at alternator and at battery; however, at the ballast resistor, I get 15.9 to 16.0 volts.
This is both sides of the resistor. I see similar higher voltage at the coil. With engine off, I get a little more than 11 on input side of resistor and 9+ on output side. Can anyone explain why the voltage is so high around resitor and coil. Is this some kind of feedback from the coil? Thanks in advance ... Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 10, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Voltage Readings ... 55 BelAir

That is weird. I'd wonder about the grounds you're using to take your measurements. It could be the "additional" volt is really riding on the ground. Measure the voltage between your two ground points and see what you get. You should see a very small voltage (less than 0.1 volts). If you see that extra 1 volt - dig in to find the bad ground that's causing it.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 10, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Long story short ... I had installed an alternator conversion harness ( int regulator ) whose installation diagram routed the smaller wire from alt clip to the "input" or 12v side of the ign ballast resistor. I think it basically requires a switched 12v source. The "output" or reduced voltage side of resistor goes to coil. I had these 2 wires reversed and it made for some wacky readings. Now, all readings are consistent. The reading on the - side of coil is still "wacky" but apparently that is the signal that the tach interprets.

Look at instructions on this link:

http://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx...9-c71701dc9155

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 10, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The voltage read on the coil neg terminal could be the induced voltage from the coil, the energy not used by the spark plugs as not all the field generated within the coil is not dissipated to the spark, residual voltage.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 10, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
The voltage read on the coil neg terminal could be the induced voltage from the coil, the energy not used by the spark plugs as not all the field generated within the coil is not dissipated to the spark, residual voltage.

That's the exact definition of "wacky" I saw in Webster's !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode