new ignition, is it a newb friendly install? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 10, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

new ignition, is it a newb friendly install?

Well I got myself a new ignition for xmas and am thinking about trying to install it today. This is what I got 6AL MSD Ignition #6420, MSD Blaster HVC-2 #8253 and MSD Pro-Billet Distributors #8570. I have been searching all night to try and figure out if I should attempt. I have never done any ignition stuff before so other then the instructions that came with the products i'm going at this blind. The car currently has a HEI. I understand alot of problems can be resolved by running the power and ground direct to the battery which I will do, even though its in the trunk. I am going to soder everything I do know the importance of that. Is this a newbie capable install or should I wait until I can get somebody else to help me? I would like the satisfaction of doing it but hate to mess it up. Pointers that I wouldn't get from the instructions that came with it are welcome.

Jake

69 camaro 502 TH400 Dana 60 4:10 gears. Old drag car now my little learning lab. Short video of my last time to the track, who knows how many for the car!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Amsoilguy; Dec 24th, 10 at 01:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 10, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Re: new ignition, is it a newb friendly install?

I think the issue of soldering connections was brought up a while ago and the consensus was that good crimping was the way to go.

You understand how to set up an engine to drop in and position a new distributor? If not, do a search, it has been explained many times here.

alan
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 10, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech

If you have a timing light, with the help of this sight you can do it.
Just ask questions as they come up

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 10, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Follow the instructions for your specific ignition and should not have any problems.
As stated, good crimps are a must.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 11, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well a buddy is going to help me do it. We got the car to his shop today hes making a bracket to hold the box and coil tonight hopefully will start running wires this morning. I'm excited about getting rid of the HEI set up that is probably 20+ years old!

69 camaro 502 TH400 Dana 60 4:10 gears. Old drag car now my little learning lab. Short video of my last time to the track, who knows how many for the car!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 11, 11:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Follow the instructions for your specific ignition and should not have any problems.
1st skim thru reading them, then read them, skim thu again, take them out with u and follow them.
Anything u dont understand or not sure on, do a site search, cause that will find it faster than waiting for a reply....cant find, ask.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 11, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well the install is coming along very nicely. My buddy made a bracket out of aluminium and has the box and coil attached to that. Looks very nice. Bracket sits at an angle connects to the dash under the ash tray down to the tunnel and the box and coil fit up nicely inside the dash. The box is wired and ran under the carpet to the trunk to the battery. Hardest part so far was getting the rear seat out/in. Won't work on it again until Friday but hopefully we can finish it up then. I'll snap some photos of the bracket he made it looks nice!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ignition is done, car runs. Now I need to find something else to do!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Cool beans!

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 09:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Now I need to find something else to do!
Road trip

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 11, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoilguy View Post
Ignition is done, car runs. Now I need to find something else to do!
You could always take pics of the bracket, wiring and engine compartment and share with the forum.

1969 X66
1964 Corvette 327/300
1998 SS Vert
1987 Regal

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 11, 12:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

PICS!!! Please post some pics!!!

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 11, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Will do as soon as I get back to my buddy shop. The distributor is so small it looks out of place, with the big block in there. I'll post pics tomorrow.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 11, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

new ignition, is it a newb friendly install? UPDATED PHOTOS!

Heres a couple quick photos of it finished. The side view photos are taken pretty low so you can see the mount.

Where we put the firewall feed through.

Front view, pretty discrete.
[IMG]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x416/amsoilguy1
From passenger side
Drivers side

Last edited by Amsoilguy; Jan 10th, 11 at 09:17 PM. Reason: updated
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 11, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I did see in the pics though I need to get a shop vac.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode