67 Camaro Alternator Issue? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

67 Camaro Alternator Issue?

I have replaced 3 batteries in a 4 month period. Each time I returned them I was told that the battery had a bad cell and was given a free replacement. Each time I replace the battery, it starts great for about a month, then starts slower and slower each time until finally it just doesn't start. Now again, my car wouldn't start. I am thinking the issue is with the alternator. Is it possible that something could be damaging the battery? Not an expensive fix or anything and I know I can have the alt tested, was just curious if this is a common symptom for a bad alternator. Thanks for your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 67 Camaro Alternator Issue?

At operating temperature, you should measure charging voltage across the battery posts and at 2000 rpm, no accessories on, just ignition, the voltmeter should not be less than 13.8 volts if you still have the mechanical voltage regulator.

The symptom of a slower start in time means the battery is not getting recharged enough and/or a long recharge time. At lower rpm, by design, the charging system was designed just for the car and a radio, nothing else. Any current needed at a lower rpm came from the battery. At the time, people revved the engine alittle higher always, we didn't have to worry about gas mileage. Also, with the same symptom, the regulator may need a little adjustment of more voltage.

A good fix, Plug & Play, would be to substitute the mech regulator with an electronic one Wells P/N VR715. Don't forget the strap on one of the mounting bolts to ground the chassis.

Make sure the alt belt is tight and if you can't remember the last time it was changed within the last four years, replace it.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 10, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech

A friend of mine just replaced his second battery and was told, "oh yeah, this is one those batteries", meaning a series of duds from the manufacturer. In other words, you can get 3 bad ones in a row - though they'll likely from the same batch.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Yeh, it was the alternator. Took it to Oreilly's and it tested bad. Replaced it and im good to go. Finally my GEN light is off. Has been on since I bought the car. Thanks for the resonses guys.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 10, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

What kind of alternator is it?
External reg'd or internal reg'd?
If ext reg'd, change the voltage regulator to an electronic type I described earlier, Post 2, and charging voltage will be closer to the same at low rpm and high rpm.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 07:59 AM
fat block

Everett
question for you. I think I am going to do the fix you described here using the wells PN 715 FOR MY 1968. Is this fix better than swapping over to an internally regulated alternator?

Thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 08:29 AM
Retired
Jim

'better'? probably not any better, either way will charge the battery and run your system just fine. The Wels regulator Ev spoke of is such an easy replacement and it eliminates the old way of regulating elec. power and makes everything run so nice, eliminates dimming of headlights when you slow down etc. its also so cheap, around $10. It also is same size and the old original black cap fits on it as well

Here is my Wels regulator in place with old original black cap on it :

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode