Electrical problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 11, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

Electrical problem

Have an electrical issue just thought I would see if anyone else has seen any thing like this before. Car will crank and run fine all lights work and brake lights work when I hit the brakes. However when I put on my turn signals they will not blink right hard to describe but trust me they just dont blink right. If I turn my lights on they will not blink at all, but with my lights off if I hit my brakes and put on a turn signal it will work fine. Also when I hit my brakes the lights on my console guages come on and once or twice when I had the car running with the lights on if I cut the switch off the car would not turn off until I turned off the lights.

I just finished up restoring the car and I am trying to get it back on the road. during restoration I removed I the front clip so the engine harness, head light wiring etc. came off but I have cheked my AIM and all of my wiring and to include the grounds appears to be installed right and tight.

I know I have listed a lot of things going on here but just wanted to get some thought here as I am about to go crazy trying to figure this one out so if anyone has any thoughts here please feel free to speak up.

Thanks,
Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 11, 10:29 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

Re: Electrical problem

Not only do grounds have to be tight....they have to make good contact, a lot of paint can spoil the grounds, See if you add extra grounds to switch helps problem. Jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 11, 10:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Shane, you'll probably be moved by the moderators to the electrical forum by tomorrow. The experts there hopefully will help. Yeah, lots of us have had gremlins like yours. There will be more than a few lurkers on this one. Good luck.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 04:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Did you replace the blinker flasher. It is the one under the dash behind the radio. The one on the fuse block is for the emergency flashers.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 05:55 AM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

First and formost check to make sure you have the correct bulbs in the sockets, I say this because I chased a similar problem for hours. I really didnt pay too much attention to what bulbs went to what sockets. I had some single element bulbs in a double element socket and vice versa and it caused all kinds of weird problems. Im not saying thats your problem, just giving you something easy to check first.
Scott

68 RS COUPE LS1

2000 F-350

3 HORSES
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

Fred did not even realize we had an electrical forum been here for at least 4 years and have never used it I guess.

Prostreet that is great info did not realize that there is a flasher there will have to check into that yeah I already replaced the one on the fuse block.

Ol School I did just installed all new bulbs so I guess this could be a problem. Anyone know the current part numbers for new bulbs in a 68 could check this think I can dig out packages they came in.

The only thing that I cant understand there is as mentioned when I hit the brakes without lights on the blinker works fine.

I agree Jayarter on the grounds this is the where I tohought the problem to be all along. I will pull all of the wires and hit metal underneath with a wire wheel to make sure I have good contact.

Thanks for all of the replys keep em coming I will let you know of any progress.

Shane
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 08:11 AM
Retired
Jim

Use star washers under your grounding wires, they will nick thru the paint and into the metal. This has solved most ground issues over the years in here.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 08:51 AM
Guess

From here: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

1968 CHEVROLET Camaro

High & low beam headlamp
H6024
H6024ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H6024XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
H6024CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

Parking light
1157A
1157ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front turn signal
1157A
1157ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear turn signal
1157ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
1157LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Tail light
1157ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
1157LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Stop light

License plate
67LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Back up light
1156ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
1156LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front sidemarker
194NA
194NALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear sidemarker
194NA
194NALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Ash tray
1445LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Glove box
1895LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Map light
562LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Dome light
211-2
211-2LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Step/Courtesy light
631LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Trunk/Cargo area
1003LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Under hood light
93LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Instrument-general
1445LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
1816LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Brake warning
1816LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Automatic transmission indicator

Clock
194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Directional signal indicator

Radio dial
1893LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

__________________________________________________ __

The applications presented in this replacement guide have been compiled using the best information available from the vehicle manufacturers at the time of your search. This guide is intended for general information purposes only, not to be construed as any type of warrantee as to any particular application. For specific applications the vehicle owner's manual should be consulted.

When two or more lamps are listed for the same application, remove the lamp and check the numerical designation.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
From here: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

1968 CHEVROLET Camaro

High & low beam headlamp
H6024
H6024ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H6024XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
H6024CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

Parking light
1157A

Front turn signal
1157A

Rear turn signal

Tail light

Stop light

License plate
67LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Back up light
1156ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
1156LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front sidemarker
194NA

Rear sidemarker
194NA

Ash tray

Glove box
1895LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Map light
562LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Dome light
211-2
211-2LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Step/Courtesy light
631LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Trunk/Cargo area
1003LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Under hood light
93LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Instrument-general

Brake warning

Automatic transmission indicator

Clock

Directional signal indicator

Radio dial
1893LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

__________________________________________________ __

The applications presented in this replacement guide have been compiled using the best information available from the vehicle manufacturers at the time of your search. This guide is intended for general information purposes only, not to be construed as any type of warrantee as to any particular application. For specific applications the vehicle owner's manual should be consulted.

When two or more lamps are listed for the same application, remove the lamp and check the numerical designation.
Wow thanks Joe!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 01:05 PM
John

Garage

Check the connection under the battery try that goes to the right parking light.

It easily gets corroded.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 11, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

Well after I got Joes list I checked and found I had 1156 bulbs in my tailights which are single element instead of dual like I need. Put new bulbs in and everything worked like a champ. When I got the new bulbs I just went to my local carquest and told them I needed new bulbs for everything I never checked anywhere else I just put what bulb they told me went where really did not know there was a difference. Also I just knew I had screwed something up since I had so much of the wiring removed at one time goes to show always check simple things first.

Thanks for all of the replys and special thanks to you Ol School for pointing this out and Joe for the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode