Wiper motor ground strap - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Wiper motor ground strap

I just bought a new grommet kit for my wiper motor and am wondering how to put the ground strap off the grommet into its original location between the housing plates?? Can you pry them apart or is there another solution?

My 69 Camaro Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 03:58 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Wiper motor ground strap

If I recall you just lift the ground loop back and replace the gromet. Am I forgetting something?

Edit: The replacement wiper motor should come with the gromet on place where the ground strap goes. I have a wiper motor on my bench without the gromet but the ground is in place and I the more I think about it I don't recall how I got the gromet and ground seperated. I don't recall it being a big issue when I did it though...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

Last edited by DjD; Jan 28th, 11 at 04:22 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Her's a pic, my old strap is broken off, the new strap is part of the new grommet. The original strap runs between the two housings.

My 69 Camaro Build

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 04:44 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Ok now I understand what you are talking about...

I looked at the remanurfactured one I have and it has big rivits holding the halves together... Here's a pic so I assume they replace the ground when they rebuild them. How correct are you looking for this to be? A small bolt or screw would hold the ground in place...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reman1.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	20201  

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 07:35 PM
Kevin

Doug, gently pry up the pressed corners of the rivet holding the end of the strap, I use a very small punch as you wedge the two halves apart. You might need to loosen the rivets nearby. Just enough to R&R the strap. Make sure you have bare metal where the brass goes. Then clamp the halves together and use a flat punch to drive the corners back down. You get one chance with the rivets, bend them too much and they break from fatigue. Luck!

They can be taken apart and put back together if you are careful

Kevin

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 11, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Doug, gently pry up the pressed corners of the rivet holding the end of the strap, I use a very small punch as you wedge the two halves apart. You might need to loosen the rivets nearby. Just enough to R&R the strap. Make sure you have bare metal where the brass goes. Then clamp the halves together and use a flat punch to drive the corners back down. You get one chance with the rivets, bend them too much and they break from fatigue. Luck!

They can be taken apart and put back together if you are careful

Thanks Kevin I'll give that a try. I guess I should have waited to paint it.

My 69 Camaro Build
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 08:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

Garage

Can someone elaborate on this topic? With pictures? I bought a new rubber bushing kit for my 69 RS and it came with a ground strap. I really don't see a way for this to go together. I've searched this site to the ends of Google, but can't find out how the new ground strap and rubber bushings go together.

Thanks.

Dan

There are only so many days in your life...So get out and drive your Camaro.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 09:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Hey Doug I put a new one on mine and it was really easy. Let me know if you need any info. I didn't take my unit apart to do it either.

The metal insert has a rubber gromet that acts as a cushion between the firewall and the motor wiper. You pull the metal insert out and place the ground strap under the top of the metal insert, and then slide the insert back inside the rubber gromet. Then you only have to spread the houseing of the wiper motor open and slide the insert with the gromet into place. The hole in the ground strap is for the small bolt that holds the wiper motor housing together.

Here is a picture of the original strap in place. You only have to loosen the 2 screws you see here. Slides in easy.

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

Last edited by 69z28freak; Apr 6th, 12 at 09:55 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 12, 05:26 AM
Kevin

Mike, looks like someone has already messed with your motor. The screws are not original.

Kevin

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 01:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Mike, looks like someone has already messed with your motor. The screws are not original.
Can you post pics of original screws?

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 05:57 AM
Kevin

Dougs pic is original, no screws at all. There are open rivits that secure the halves. You can take a wedge and open the folded ends and take the halves apart, but you only get to do that one time. after that the riveit corners tend to break

Kevin

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 15, 06:06 PM
Octavian

I found this post while attempting to resolve the same issue for replacing the wiper motor bushings. I came up with an even easier and less destructive approach to do the rubber bushing swap while keeping the original ground strap in place. Here are the steps:

1. Find the rubber bushing with ground strap on the wiper motor. Do not remove or tear out the any part of the rubber bushing assembly.

2. On the back side of the rubber bushing (i.e., firewall side) you can see the steel bushing inside the rubber bushing. The tip of the steel bushing has been pressed so that the lip widens and pushes tightly against the rubber bushing hole ID. The only purpose of the widening is so that the rubber bushing does not fall off the steel bushing when it's shipped loose or before it's fastened up against the firewall in the installed position. When the rubber bushing is in it's installed position, the rubber bushing is tightly secured in place between the steel bushing washer (on engine side) and the firewall, so the widened tip of the steel bushing no longer serves a purpose.

2. Given the conclusions in step 2 above, take a small needle-nose plier, open up the plier, and carefully wedge each plier tip between the rubber and steel bushing joint (1st photo).

3. Carefully squeeze the plier and crimp the steel bushing lips slightly (1st photo). Do this procedure twice or three times at equidistant spacing around the bushing circumference. What you've essential done is reduce the widened steel bushing lip diameter so that the steel bushing can slip off the installed rubber bushing from the front side (engine side).

4. Take a flat head screw driver and pry it off slightly to get it started before you pull it with the plier (2nd photo). Take the needle nose plier and pinch the wide steel washer of the bushing and pull it off the rubber bushing if it won't come off using the screw driver (3rd photo).

5. Pull the rubber bushing off the wiper body and the ground strap will remain in place (4th photo).

6. Take the new rubber bushing assembly and crimp the back side of the bushing as in step 3 above. Don't crimp the bushing too much or the mounting screw won't slide through.

7. Remaining steps for new bushing install require only steps 5 and 4, in that order. There is no need to go back and widen the crimped steel bushing tip since the rubber bushing is secured in place once wiper motor body is installed.

This repair keeps everything looking original, like it never got touched. No need to widen the wiper motor body rivet tabs and risk breaking them as in previous post above!

Good luck, guys!

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	96914

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	96922

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	96930

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	96938
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 15, 07:10 PM
Team Member
Bob

Here is a write-up I posted in another thread.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...or#post2326634

Hope it helps!

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode