Instrument lights, tail lights and no brake lights! help!!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 11, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
justin

Unhappy Instrument lights, tail lights and no brake lights! help!!!!!!

hey guys.. im very new to the old cars and just got my first. Just bought a 1967 camaro and shes a beautiful ride. Was driving home tonight and all of a sudden the instrument lights, tail lights and turn signal lights that are usually on just stopped working. I have head lights but that's it. WTF?? i checked the fuses and they looked ok. I replaced some anyway just to be sure but still no dice. Even when i hit the brakes there's nothing. What do i do and where should i start? just bought the car and love it but cant drive her..

Last edited by blackberryman; Feb 11th, 11 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 11, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Re: Instrument lights, tail lights and no brake lights! help!!!!!!

I would start with the harness and connectors under the dash....check the connections and make sure they are good and tight. Follow those to the trunk and check all the connectors/harness's in the trunk area....start there and get back to us with the result...lots of GREAT GUYS/GIRLS here with vast knowledge of the ALL-MIGHTY CAMARO.....

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!

1969 - 383, 4sp.,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 11, 10:29 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via MSN to Orange68SS Send a message via Yahoo to Orange68SS

Sometimes in the old fuse boxes you will get corrosion on the connectors that hold the fuses. Take out the fuses and use some wet/dry light grit sand paper and clean the contacts of corrosion. It is the tiny fuse that runs the dash and the running lights, start with that one. Also, the connector gets distorted and does not clamp down on the fuse, check to see if the fuse is clamped tight.

68 SS Camaro - 468 BB, Tremec 5 Speed, Wilwood Brakes, Curry 9 inch (370 gear)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 11, 04:04 AM
Senior Tech

i put a new turn signal swithch in my 68 and evertime i used the turn signal the lights shorted out. the new wires on the switch in the column were a bit too long and were shorting out the circuits. the fyse kept on blowing.

my friend had some tpye of device that afret we took apart the steering column, it detected the short before it occurred, saving fuses and allowed to fund the problem. two short wire nips and problem solved.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 11, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange68SS View Post
Sometimes in the old fuse boxes you will get corrosion on the connectors that hold the fuses. Take out the fuses and use some wet/dry light grit sand paper and clean the contacts of corrosion. It is the tiny fuse that runs the dash and the running lights, start with that one. Also, the connector gets distorted and does not clamp down on the fuse, check to see if the fuse is clamped tight.
the tiny fuse??? they all look the same size to me? thought it was the ten amp fuse?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 11, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
justin

the tiny fuse??? they all look the same size to me? thought it was the ten amp fuse?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 11, 08:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

The stop, tail and turn are all on the same fuse. It will be the same size as most, the inst lps fuse is smaller (like 1/2 inch long). Check to be sure all the fuses have power on both sides with the key on first. The inst lps won't have power until the tail lights are on.

Jeff
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 11, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

I had the same problem on my 67 and 69. On the 67, the harness was pinched and shorting out around the steering column (I had lowered the column to fix something and probably pinched the harness when reassembling). On the 69, the short was in the console as one of the illumination (gray) wires was in contact with the shifter itself and shorting out like crazy.

A good trick is to disconnect sections of the harness (e.g. the wires running to the middle and back of the car) to isolate the problem. Good luck, it can get frustrating but when you find it it'll be real obvious.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 11, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberryman View Post
Maybe the fuse box is different on 67 than my 68, but this is the fuse I was referring to:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Box.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	20520  

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 11, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
justin

guys.. thanks for all the help thus far... here is a picture of the fuse box.... which one controls the running lights/brake lights/instrument panel

also... to just restate.. looking through some posts there are step by step ways to fix and troubleshoot the gauge lights but i have no running lights at all so this must be a grounding prob and not in the light switch....can it? are all these lights connected to one ground maybe?? the turn signals work!!! this is too odd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse box.jpg
Views:	3109
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	20522  

Last edited by blackberryman; Feb 11th, 11 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added question
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 11, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Sorry I couldn't help you Justin, being that mine is a 68 my fuse box is totally different than yours. But I did have the same issue as you last summer when I was driving home from a car show and turned on my lights and noticed I had no instrument lights and running lights, just headlights. The culprit for me was a broken fuse clip that (loose) was not clamping down on the small fuse that runs all of that.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 11, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Running lights and inst lights are from the same power source, the headlamp switch.
Inst lights have another control in the circuit after the headlamp switch and it is the headlamp rheostat - turn the bejesus on the knob. Both lighting circuits have the same power source. Inst & lights, two separate fuses.

Stop lights have battery power, a separate power source from the headlamps/tailights.
However, they go through the turn signal switch and hazard switch. Hazard switch overrules the t/signal & brake lights and t/signal switch overrules the brake lights.

There is a fuse for the INST (fourth fuse up from the bottom) and STOP/tail lamps(bottom fuse). Check for power at both ends of the fuse because as suggested, the sockets do rust and/or lose the tension to squeeze against the fuse. Other than this, it can be a iring, more like a harness connector, failure.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 11, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
justin

so probably the problem the in the headlight switch? when i press the brakes ive got nothing and nothing when i pull the switch on.. it was acting funny tho the other day so maybe ill try the switch first..
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 11, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish420 View Post
I would start with the harness and connectors under the dash....check the connections and make sure they are good and tight. Follow those to the trunk and check all the connectors/harness's in the trunk area....start there and get back to us with the result...lots of GREAT GUYS/GIRLS here with vast knowledge of the ALL-MIGHTY CAMARO.....

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!
connectors look good.. i have hazards and turn signals but no gauge lights or brake/running lights... this really blows
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 11, 02:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Justin,

Where do you live at?

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode