Any way to modify a cassette radio for aux input? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Any way to modify a cassette radio for aux input?

I don't know if this is the right forum for a question about a radio in a 68. I was wondering about the radios sold by many aftermarket parts places like Classic Industries. The ones that fit right into the dash w/o cutting. Some say they now have auxiliary input. How is that done? Is there a jack hole in the front plate or external wiring of some kind?

I have an after market cassette player radio in mine now. I have one of those cassette adapters that has a wire attached that you can plug into a MP3 player or iPod and use it as auxilary input. I don't like the wire coming out of the cassette input hole. I was wondering if I could take the radio apart and tap onto any wires that lead from the cassette pickup? Then I could run the wire out the back of the radio and under the console and hide it in the console glove box to plug an iPod into.

Any idea if that would work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 10:03 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Any way to modify a cassette radio for aux input?

What you are using now just tricks the unit by placing the external mp3 or CD player output on the tape heads of the tape player. To do what you want would require adding an aux circuit internally with a jack for the input. I know it's being done as you can send out your factory AM or AM/FM and have it converted to look stock but do everything but cook toast! The conversions cost big bucks and I found a better solution.

Any big box electronics store that carrys car audio stuff has mp3 car adapters that you plug into the cars lighter/power port and it transmits to your radio over an FM signal. You tune it to a frequency that doesn't have a station broadcasting on it and it uses that station to transmit to your cars radio. I have one that lets me put music on a memory stick or plug in an i-pod, mp3 or CD player. I use the memory stick because there are no extra cables or components to set someplace...

Search ebay for "car mp3 fm transmitter"...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 10:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Search ebay for "car mp3 fm transmitter"...
I haven't had much luck with those. I've used a couple different brands over the years and always found that you get station interference as soon as you drive anywhere.

I guess if you are in a pretty rural area without a lot of different stations broadcasting, then you could be ok. But if you are in a metropolitan area it just seems like there really are no blank radio frequencies.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 10:27 AM
Kevin

Ken, I use the Aux input devices in my 2004 Impala from PIE www.pie.net But did not see anything for really old fashioned radios (just ones with RCA inputs). You could buy an amp that has line level inputs and then get a mini plug to RCA conversion wire. The just plug the IPOD line into the amp.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 10:29 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
I haven't had much luck with those. I've used a couple different brands over the years and always found that you get station interference as soon as you drive anywhere.

I guess if you are in a pretty rural area without a lot of different stations broadcasting, then you could be ok. But if you are in a metropolitan area it just seems like there really are no blank radio frequencies.
Unplug the radios antenna and see what happens... My hidden antenna works about as well as if I didn't have an antenna at all. I get perfect uninterupted music from mine.

In the truck it's kinda like you say but only on trips where you are driving long distances and picking up new stations as you drive. Around town if you have a frequency that doesn't have a station on it, it's good for 20-30 miles or more. I'm in San Jose which is the 3rd largest city in CA and 10th largest in the states...

...Dennis

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 11:42 AM
Kevin

unpluging the antenna is a great idea! I had an FM ipod converter around someplace, have to dig that out!

Kevin

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

What about one of those tape cass adaptors that go into the Cass player and have a cord out for the IPod? I have one of those for my '04 Highlander and they work well but tend to get a bit noisy (not through speakers but mechanical noise of playing in the cass) after a lot of use.

Ed

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 01:16 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Ed that's what the first poster is trying to get away from...

...Dennis

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

"I was wondering if I could take the radio apart and tap onto any wires that lead from the cassette pickup?"

To really answer your initial question: YES it can be done. You have to bypass the head preamp circuit as that would just overdrive/distort the low level-in from an ipod etc.
Could you do it? Prob not, it would take experience with component level amp circuits to do it.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 03:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post

I agree. Around Boston I have to completely collapse the antenna on my Toyota to get my Sirius to fm converter to work without static.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 03:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock1969RS View Post
What about one of those tape cass adaptors that go into the Cass player and have a cord out for the IPod? I have one of those for my '04 Highlander and they work well but tend to get a bit noisy (not through speakers but mechanical noise of playing in the cass) after a lot of use.
Most of the noise is generated by the tape drive motor. If you disable that as I have done in the past they sound way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Ed that's what the first poster is trying to get away from...
Oops sorry missed that, ignore me then

Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode