Turn signal woes 67 Camaro RS - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Turn signal woes 67 Camaro RS

Been trying to figure out why my turn signals dont work on my 67 RS. Emergency flashers work fine, but the left and right turn signals dont work. I've worked it to where I think its an issue with either the steering column switch or a wire is switched round in the steering column connector. The steering column switich is a new replacement from Ricks Camaros. Has anyone had any problems with these replacement switches? Whats wierd is if I apply upward pressure to the emergency flasher switch the left turn signal works fine. If i apply downward pressure to the emerg flasher button all signal lights blink. Dambnest thing. Any insights?

Also, another interesting thing is that when the headlights are on, the front partking lights are off. Is this right?

Thanks,

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 08:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

To answer your second question, yes that is correct operation of the parking lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 11, 09:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: Turn signal woes 67 Camaro RS

The wires to the turn switch are as follows:

Gray (if populated) = Column shift indicator light
Black = Horn
Light Blue = Left Front Turn signal
Dark Blue = Right Front Turn signal
Brown = Power from turn signal flasher
Purple = Power from hazard signal flasher
Yellow = Left Rear Turn signal
Dark Green = Right Rear Turn signal
White = Power from brake light switch

So, if you have power on the power lines (brakes applied for brake light power), then move on to the output wires.

With hazards and turn signals off, pressing the brake pedal should put power on the two rear turn signal lights/wires.

Brakes off, right turn signal on, should result in flashing power to the right front and rear wires. Add brake pedal and the left rear wire should get power. The way the turn signal switch works is that it cuts brake light power to the selected turn signal and routes the flasher power to it. Nothing changes for the front lights.

Reverse the above for the left turn signal.

Hazard switch on should override the rest (though, I think they stay on solid when brakes are applied) and provide power to all four corners.

If you are getting the correct power in, but not out, then it's probably the turn signal switch, a pinched/shorted wire(s), or something just put together incorrectly and not lining up.

If it's correct in and out, then it's in either the harness(es) or lights themselves. But if the hazards are working, then the lights are getting power and the harnesses should be good. So, back to the switch...

Also, the original model of flasher is kind of touchy when it comes to correct loading to cause the light to blink. You may want to use a newer version that doesn't depend on the load.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know the GM part number for the orginal turn signal switch? I'm tired of dealing with foreign repops.

Eric
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 11, 10:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Sorry, no idea on the part number. I'm trying to make sure I get the correct one, too. All I know is that it is the half circle version (no flat connector) and has only 8 wires/connectors... That is why I will probably buy it from a local vendor (Steve's Camaros) in case I have to keep trying different versions.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 11, 07:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
The wires to the turn switch are as follows:

Gray (if populated) = Column shift indicator light
Black = Horn
Light Blue = Left Front Turn signal
Dark Blue = Right Front Turn signal
Brown = Power from turn signal flasher
Purple = Power from hazard signal flasher
Yellow = Left Rear Turn signal
Dark Green = Right Rear Turn signal
White = Power from brake light switch

So, if you have power on the power lines (brakes applied for brake light power), then move on to the output wires.

With hazards and turn signals off, pressing the brake pedal should put power on the two rear turn signal lights/wires.

Brakes off, right turn signal on, should result in flashing power to the right front and rear wires. Add brake pedal and the left rear wire should get power. The way the turn signal switch works is that it cuts brake light power to the selected turn signal and routes the flasher power to it. Nothing changes for the front lights.

Reverse the above for the left turn signal.

Hazard switch on should override the rest (though, I think they stay on solid when brakes are applied) and provide power to all four corners.

If you are getting the correct power in, but not out, then it's probably the turn signal switch, a pinched/shorted wire(s), or something just put together incorrectly and not lining up.

If it's correct in and out, then it's in either the harness(es) or lights themselves. But if the hazards are working, then the lights are getting power and the harnesses should be good. So, back to the switch...

Also, the original model of flasher is kind of touchy when it comes to correct loading to cause the light to blink. You may want to use a newer version that doesn't depend on the load.
Hi I also discovered another problem with my 69 Camaro today I replaced the indicator switch and noticed that when i use the flasher (hazard) switch they work fine and they flash nice and fast.. when I try and use the indicators they will work and flash slow and then when I try it again they dont flash they just stay on and not flash. they never worked since purchassed the car 8 weeks ago so i purchaased new switch from Ricks Camaros and I had installed it this afternoon,,also noticed that when they did flash and I switch on the park lights they are fine but as soon as I went to drive lights they stopped flashing.. is this a typical blinker relay gone bad... the one behind radio can i buy an up to date fast flash type.

any help would be appreciated

thanks
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 11, 08:35 AM
r_w
Senior Tech
Robert

Sounds like the turn signals aren't pulling enough current to operate the thermal flasher. The thermal flashers indicate a bulb out by sticking on. This can also happen if you have bad grounds.

In the rear, pull the bulb socket and make sure the metal ground tabs are make a good pressure force against the hole it plugs into.

In the front, pull the bulb from the socket and check the resistance from the sleeve (ground for bulb) to the ground wire coming into the lamp assembly. It should be just a few ohms.

If I remember right, the ground wire is rivoted to the outer housing, which pressure fit to the next housing section, which has the brass bulb carrier press fit in it. Three points of corrosive failure. On mine the resistance was infinite...I had to braze them all together.

Oh, I didn't mention the simplest, bulb burned out, but I bet you checked that.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 11, 04:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Garage

[QUOTE=r_w;1608108]Sounds like the turn signals aren't pulling enough current to operate the thermal flasher. The thermal flashers indicate a bulb out by sticking on. This can also happen if you have bad grounds.

Ok thats sounding more like it but the funny thing is that they work when I use the HAZARD button on the side of steering colum. so this draws power from another source? Still doesnt make sense becuase it works via the flasher/Hazard switch but not via the indicator switch.

I have recently repalce all buld carriers in the rear and I do know what you are referring to regarding the metal tabs but how will that affect the flasher relay when infact the bulb carriers plug into the rear tail lights thats made of plastic.

I will go and check it again today after work

Love and hate jobs......

thanks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 11, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The turn indicator circuit, aka, turn signals, I would suggest replacing the OE thermal flasher for a heavy duty, 552, as it is an internal timed blinker and does not rely on load (number of bulbs) for blinking.

Flasher on fuse panel is for hazards, flasher in the clip under the dash is for turn signals.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 11, 04:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
The turn indicator circuit, aka, turn signals, I would suggest replacing the OE thermal flasher for a heavy duty, 552, as it is an internal timed blinker and does not rely on load (number of bulbs) for blinking.

Flasher on fuse panel is for hazards, flasher in the clip under the dash is for turn signals.

thanks I can see how that would work, my next question is how can I find one of these 552 I live in Australia and not that many Camaro outlets if any at all. Does Ricks Camaro keep them or can you point me in the correct direction.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Most any auto parts store would have one, look for a heavy duty flasher for towing.
It may be under another part number, but look for ...'up to 8-10 bulbs.'
www.RockAuto.com is a choice.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 04:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Most any auto parts store would have one, look for a heavy duty flasher for towing.
It may be under another part number, but look for ...'up to 8-10 bulbs.'
www.RockAuto.com is a choice.

Hi All how a simple $5.00 2 pin flasher fixed what i thought would be a hide and seak problem... I jumped the gun and purchassed one yesterday that suits the Australian GM cars and now its happy Days..

thanks guys
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Cool! Rock on, Dude!

'
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 08:12 PM

Red face Re: Turn signal woes 67 Camaro RS

I had problems with my turn signals not blinking. It was an easy fix. I checked my l bulbs and lights. I have driving lights and the turn lights came on. Read your posts about the flasher being under the dash. Sure enough, on the drivers side by the radio under the dash was a square flasher. Put a newer version in and pronto the lights have never worked better.
2Lman
67 camaro convt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode