Best. Horn. Ever. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pete

Garage
Best. Horn. Ever.

When it was time to replace my 68 Camaro horns many years ago I went to the junkyard to find a cheap, fun replacement. A buddy told me Cadillac horns have a melodic, distinctive sound.

So I searched the junkyard for the biggest Caddy I could find, the Cadillac Fleetwood was the Cadillac of Cadillacs. So of course thats what I looked for. I found a perfect car, a huge old Fleetwood, and took all three horns, thats right it has a TRIPLE note horn! Sounded very cool until a few months ago when one of the triple note horns died.

So this weekend I was back in the junkyard and thought I'd get a new horn to replace the old Caddy horn. Again I was looking for the biggest Caddy I could find to pull to horn from. But I was disappointed to find that the newer caddy's have quadruple note horns!! And they were difficult to get at. I really didnt want to spend all day taking off the horns and I didnt want to have to find room for 4 horns in the front of the camaro.

So after giving up on Caddy's I walked over to the Euro section of the junkyard just for kicks and I saw a 1989 BMW 750iL, which is of course the Cadillac of BMW's. Someone had already taken the grille off the car...and there were the two BMW horns sitting right there in plain site, smaller, lighter, one bolt each, and super easy to get at. And they are only $5 at the junkyard. So I grabbed em.

I gotta say they sound awesome!! SUPER loud, piercing...and very Euro of course. You really can tell they are made for the autobahn, GET OUT OF MY WAY IM DOING 150MPH!! Anyway, just a suggestion for anyone wanting something different.

Of course the Caddy horns are still awesome if you want to go that route.

Pete
1968 Camaro
2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 01:59 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Best. Horn. Ever.

I agree Pete. Those Beemer horns are scary loud. My little 1987 3 series is a load SOB!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 05:32 AM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

Funny you should mention horns, I too wanted somthing a little different. I installed two volkswagon horns on my 68, It sounds goofey, but it fits my personality.
Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 RS COUPE LS1

2000 F-350

3 HORSES

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 07:50 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

good info, my 68's horns have been sick for quite some time and I've been putting off replacing them. Maybe this will help motivate me, maybe.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 08:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

I've been looking for some horns to put on my commuter Toyota. It's sickly beeeeep inspires no warning or fear at all in the rush hour madness here in Dallas. I will have to get some of those.
I would actually like a horn so loud that when I hit it the ammeter gauge takes a noticable dip.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 08:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Have you ever thought of these? It would definitely make your ammeter guage flex.

1969 Chevrolet Camaro 396 SS X-66

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Terry

I will be running a second pair of Marine trumpet horns on the other fender. Amp draw is 7 amps. DBA rating 110 at one meter. With a pair of dual trumpet horns should clear the way. LOL

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the automobile, the pessimist seat belts, head rests, disc brakes, and air bags.

Last edited by IRON MAN; Mar 18th, 11 at 04:41 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 11:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Anybody got a link??? My old air horns are sounding lame. I want something that'll clear the stagging lanes.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 11:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

You guys are wearing out horns? My originals still sound fine when I have the chance to use them.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

I need to try the WD-40 trick in the screw hole on one of my horns. i over used it in a wedding parade a year ago. Sounds like it has a cold

Jim's '69

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 11, 06:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Anybody ever heard one of those locomotive horns? Some redneck in a jacked up F250 fired one off in the parking lot of the supermarket one day from fifty feet away and I damn near **** my pants. Alright, I'm being modest..... I did **** myself. They run from $200 all the way up to $1500.

Those Blazer Highway Blaster hi/lo combo horns at the parts store work OK and bolt to the factory locations fine. I've got a set on mine. Supposed to be 132 decibles. Believe it or not, the loudest horn I've got is the stock one on my VTX 1800R....it points straight down maybe eight inches off the ground and if you fire it off for five seconds in the garage your ear will ring for two days. Don't ask me why I did that.

I wanna hear the BMW horn. We've leased a few new ones in the last five years but the horns must not have been the Euro version you picked up.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 11, 12:13 AM
Senior Tech

I had Hella german horns on the Camaro for a while, but it sounded european. That might be good on a Corvair, but on a Camaro? I went back to GM baritone horn.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 11, 03:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
john

My wife had a '96 Park Avenue Ultra which had some of the loudest, most distinct horns I have ever heard.... for a domestic car.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity... Lick it once and you will suck forever!
Check out my Camaro build at

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 11, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Probe GT has a very nice sounding horn, it's BMWesque.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode