New Wiper Motor Won't Work - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 11, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

New Wiper Motor Won't Work

I posted this in the Troubleshooting section but thought to try here as well it could be a wiring issue.....

Okay, I just replaced my wiper motor (the old one would work for 5 mins then shut off). Now nothing happens. I checked the ground strap on the motor and it's connected to the back of the washer. Should the copper tab be against the firewall or the inside of the washer sandwiched between the washer and the rubber grommet?

Tested the wires on the motor and the one tab in the middle won't work. The two outside tabs are fine. I checked the switch and it is secure to the dash.

Now after leaving the power on for a few mins, the wiper motor is hot to the touch.

Any ideas what the issue is here??????

I'm thinking of just ordering a new wiring harness as my current one looks original.

Thanks,
John

1968 Camaro, 454 BBC 500HP, M21

My Camaro:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 11, 10:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: New Wiper Motor Won't Work

I thought that copper tab got sandwiched between the two motor halves? It is "captured" by one of the "rivits" that hold it together? My grommet with the tab is basically under yellow wire side of the motor.

FYI, only power goes to the motor. The circuit ground is the motor itself. That tab is a part of that... The switch provides different resistance to a second ground path.

As far as the wires connected to the motor:
black is high
light blue is low
dark blue is wash
yellow is power

The top connector gets the yellow wire.
The middle gets the light blue wire.
The lower gets the black wire.
Another connector has the dark blue and yellow wires for the washer.

There is a test circuit drawing on here that has been passed around a lot. I downloaded it myself!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 11, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Help!!!!

I still can't get my new wiper motor to work. I purchased/replaced the dash wiper switch. still nothing happens........however, the motor did get hot after leaving on the key for a few minutes. Hopefully I didn't burn out the motor.

Here is what I did so far:
  • New wiper motor
  • Replaced the engine wire connectors with new ones
  • I checked power on the wiper motor, the wire in the middle does not light up but the two outside wire do
  • Copper tab is clean and connected to the motor and the bolt w/washer is screwed into the firewall, so it is grounded
  • I even ordered and replaced new rubber grommets
Not sure if I can return this new motor because I painted it before I installed it (i know, should have tested first).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John

1968 Camaro, 454 BBC 500HP, M21

My Camaro:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 11, 09:33 PM
Senior Tech

Try a temporary ground jumper wire from the body (sorry scratch off a little paint) to th engine block or battery - terminal.
Second, try giving the motor a little help starting the movement. Wiping a dry window may be more resistance than it can handle.

Most wiper problems are ground related, just because it looks like a good ground doesn't mean it is.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 11, 11:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

I'm not sure what you mean by "works" (first post) and "lights up".?.? Are you putting a meter from that terminal to ground (not the motor body or grommets)? Are you using a test light from that terminal to ground? Or are you measuring between the terminals themselves?

I ask because the yellow is 12V. The others are just wires that run to the switch. You should be able to ground the other terminals to get the motor started (instead of going through the switch). That could help isolate the switch.

But, as stated, make sure there is a good ground between the body, copper tab on grommet, and firewall. The switch needs to get ground from it't mounting hole, too. You have to test it, not just look at it... All this painting and replacing makes me think it's a ground or connection issue.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 11, 05:07 AM
Senior Tech
BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
I thought that copper tab got sandwiched between the two motor halves? It is "captured" by one of the "rivits" that hold it together? My grommet with the tab is basically under yellow wire side of the motor.

FYI, only power goes to the motor. The circuit ground is the motor itself. That tab is a part of that... The switch provides different resistance to a second ground path.

As far as the wires connected to the motor:
black is high
light blue is low
dark blue is wash
yellow is power

The top connector gets the yellow wire.
The lower gets the black wire.
Another connector has the dark blue and yellow wires for the washer.

There is a test circuit drawing on here that has been passed around a lot. I downloaded it myself!
I guess I'm not getting my point across. I know what the wires do and how the switch works with the grounds , but need a picture to see their physical location on the motor because I don't know what each terminal on the motor is for and don't want to damage the new motor. Apparently my motor has different connections than the one you are describing because I have three seperate plugs, one black in the rear by itself, two more on the motor itself, ( yellow and light blue )and two more foreward on the washer pump ( Yellow and dark blue )which has the wires cut and no plastic plug because it is missing . I just need to see the location of these colors on the motor.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 11, 05:46 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Well if I were you I would bench test the motor off the vehicle. Here is the referenced diagram of how to do this. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...11&postcount=1 Set it up and let it run for 30 minutes just to make sure it is not the motor. If that works, it could be grounding on the firewall.

Second inspect the wiper transmission - the motor maybe fine, but the guts in the cowl may be hanging on some debris or are bent etc overheating the motor. Current thread about wiper transmission issues. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196522 If you can manually operate the transmission with no binding or issues, and you can bench test the motor for more then 30 minutes without it slowing down or crapping out all together then sand clean the mounting points, make sure the brass tab is making good conduct and see if that restores functionality to your wipers.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 11, 09:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Black View Post
I guess I'm not getting my point across. I know what the wires do and how the switch works with the grounds , but need a picture to see their physical location on the motor because I don't know what each terminal on the motor is for and don't want to damage the new motor. Apparently my motor has different connections than the one you are describing because I have three seperate plugs, one black in the rear by itself, two more on the motor itself, ( yellow and light blue )and two more foreward on the washer pump ( Yellow and dark blue )which has the wires cut and no plastic plug because it is missing . I just need to see the location of these colors on the motor.
This part isn't helping at all????

"The top connector gets the yellow wire.
The lower gets the black wire."

That's the three wire plug. The two wire plug for the washer I can't say. My car never had it... The pictures of other cars that I have show the Yellow on top and Dark Blue on the bottom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode