Radio Electrical Plugs - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
BJ

Radio Electrical Plugs

Does anyone know how many plugs the original radio on a 69 Camaro had and what color on the plug wires. I'm putting the car back together and everything is hooked up except the radio and I have two plugs that I can't identify. Both are flat with two contact wires. The one plug has a black wire and a yellow wire side by side which I think is the power for the radio, and the other plug is flat with two contacts side by side. The one contact wire has two pink wires together and the other contact has one green wire. They don't show either of these wires in the wiring diagrams or any wiring for the radio for that matter.

Last edited by Man In Black; Apr 5th, 11 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 01:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Radio Electrical Plugs

'Search'

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62311

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
BJ

Re: Radio Electrical Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
OK that tells me that the yellow and black are for the power and ground for the radio, but I assume that the other plug with the double pink on one terminal and single green on the other terminal is not even for the radio, so what is it for. The wiring diagram doesn't even show a plug with those colors.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 03:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Red face Re: Radio Electrical Plugs

Sorry I don't have a 69 diagram to look through here ...
Isn't 'Pink' an key-on accessory lead?
'Green' should be a speaker lead.
Is this a standard single speaker AM (RPO-U63?) or did this vehicle have a rear speaker/fader or AM/FM option of some sort?

Hopefully somone will chime-in soon with a diagram.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Pink should be "key on" 12v to any gauges you might have.

Last edited by BPOS; Apr 5th, 11 at 05:10 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
BJ

I don't see anything on the schematic that would indicate a plug with double pink wires and a green wire. I'm stumped on this one.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Sorry I don't have a 69 diagram to look through here ...
Isn't 'Pink' an key-on accessory lead?
'Green' should be a speaker lead.
Is this a standard single speaker AM (RPO-U63?) or did this vehicle have a rear speaker/fader or AM/FM option of some sort?

Hopefully somone will chime-in soon with a diagram.
It was nothing fancy. Just a single front speaker. No other options except rear mount antenna. The antenna is retractable but I don't know if it came as stock equipment. The plug that I am refering to looks like it is factory, coming out of the main harness.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 11, 07:34 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Black flat plug from the speaker plugs into the radio, white plug from wire harness plugs into the back of the black plug.

1969 Z28

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 12:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Pink and Light Green is usually the back-up/neutral safety switch.?.?

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
Pink and Light Green is usually the back-up/neutral safety switch.?.?
Would that have a double pink and one light green wire? This wire doesn't come down in that area though and the car is a factory 4 speed with the backup switch on the transmission. This wire comes out of the main harness at the same point as the radio wire, thats why I thought it might be for the radio.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 10:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

I have a '68 with a '67 radio. So, I was kind of using the '69 AIM and thinking out loud...

I have a Muncie and my back up switch lead penitrates the firewall just above the transmission hump. It only has two Pink and one Light Green wires. A short pigtail plugs into it with Dark and Light Green wires. The other end of the pigtail is a connector at the firewall. Anyway... The '69 schematic shows a bunch of Pink wires coming together in the same area. Since I have never had my hand on one, I don't/didn't know if there is a "main splice" or they met up at other locations and/or connectors... The only other Pinks I see are in the instruments and warning lights.

My radio power is Yellow, also... The '67-8 AM/FM mono radio uses one power and two speaker wires in the 3 slot connector (really one slot plugging into a three slot that plugs into the radio). The radio chasis is the ground. If one believes the '69 AIM drawings, it is similar. I have no idea about other radio options...

Sorry if I'm confusing anyone. Just trying have some fun solving a "puzzle"...

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 11, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
BJ

I don't know what the plug is for since everything is working, so I guess I will just let it hang. Thanks to everyone for the ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode