1967 console gauges - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Kris Boutilier

1967 console gauges

Hello, I just rewired my 1967 camaro with a painless kit. My gas guage and temp guage on console do not seem to be working. I believe there should be a 12 volt hot wire to each gauge, signal wire to each gauge and it gets its ground from the enclosure. Is this correct. how do I know which prong is for signal and which is for hot 12V.

One other thing I noticed is that when I pulled my car out from the garage to the driveway my speedometer did not seem to work. I had it disconnected at the dash when installing the new wiring. Anyone ever have this happen.

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 11, 08:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Aaron

Re: 1967 console gauges

Kris,

Yes, there should be a + wire going to both. According to my AAW kit it is a pink wire with 2 terminal ends. Have a look at the link below as the AAW instructions are so much better than the Painless. They have a nice picture of which wire goes where in the back side of the gauge cluster. I'm guessing should be same as yours. Tan for the fuel sending unit wire and green for the temp sending unit.

http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFL...20IN%206.0.pdf
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 11, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Kris Boutilier

Thanks alot, that shows the terminals perfect. Would you happen to have a similiar link that shows 1967 printed circuit board for RPM and speedometer module.

Kris

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 11, 08:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Aaron

There is this, but it doesn't show the circuit board itself, only which pins to connect which wire for. I thought I had a better diagram, but can't find it at the moment. The pcb is pretty simple to track as there aren't too many circuits and it's easy to see the routing of the wire.

http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFL...20IN%203.0.pdf

If you can't get this link(wasn't working for me at the moment here in China) send me a pm and I can email the file I have on disk.

Sorry, I'm not at home, I could have snapped a photo of the back of mine as it's out at the moment and photoshopped in the routing wires.

Aaron
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 11, 10:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Do you mean the tach isn't working? You said speedometer... How fast do you pull out of the garage? ;-) If it was in reverse, you wouldn't get anything, anywayz. lol

Tach is brown wire, upper left when looking at the back of the gauges. Trace goes to left nut on back of tach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Kris Boutilier

My tach is working but I didn't have a diagram. I was just curious if someone had one. I was not going fast at all coming out of the garage. I am hoping I did not damage the speedometer cable puting it back on. One thing though, my car just got back from body shop in December and the body shop forgot to plug it back in, so it did not work when I picked it up then. Maybe there is something wrong with the other end, they might have left it off there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 09:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Ah. Yah, I'd check to see if both ends of the cable are connected...

Here are a couple pictures of the back of the instruments. You can trace everything out easily... I took a picture of the back of my '68 instruments and used MS Paint to add color to the traces to make it easy to tell what is what...

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode