Fuel gauge problem please help. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 11, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Fuel gauge problem please help.

For starters I'm kinda new to this forum so thanks for your help in advance.

Okay, I have a 67 camaro and my fuel gauge is not reading accurately. When the tank is full it only reads to a little over half full. To be exact, on the gauge, the needle reads to the beginning of the "L" on the word "FUEL" on the gauge itself.

Before you answer, here is what I already did. I actually have 2 other fuel gauges that I tried and they read in the same exact way so I don't think it is the gauge itself. I did replace the in tank sender a few years ago, while I was restoring the car, but I never checked it with the gauge to make sure it was reading accurately. Is it possible that the float in the tank needs to be bent? Has anyone had an issue like this?
Is it possible that a wire on the sender is wrong that would create this issue too?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 11, 05:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Re: Fuel gauge problem please help.

Did you check your ground near the tank?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 11, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

I could check it again but I did reattach it to where it was originally attached.

If not attached properly is that what will happen?

Also anymore responses will help too. Thanks

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 11, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

There may be spring from a old style fuel station nozzle rolling around in the fuel tank.
It happened to me. If I remember right it was about 5 or 6 inches long and about 1" diameter and every once in awhile it would roll onto the fuel sender float and give me false fuel gauge readings.
I actually found it when I dropped my fuel tank during my resto-mod.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 08:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Are you using a stock gauge or autometer?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Isn't the easiest thing to do to disconnect the fuel gauge at the trunk lock connector and test the gauge with key on by grounding and ungrounding the lead to the gauge? That will at least tell him if the gauge is correct. If the gauge tests OK, I would be looking real hard at the sender.

alan
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

If two gauges provide the same reading, it sounds like a bad sending unit- or bad wire to the sender. In all likelihood though,the float has developed a small pinhole leak,which has allowed fuel to enter, thus preventing it from going through the full range of motion and reading full. Drop the tank, install a new sending unit,and the problem should be solved. It's not a ground,because if it were, the gauge would likely read nothing at all, or full at all times.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 09:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I would disconnect the wire for the sending unit in the trunk. Then turn the key on. With the wire disconnected it will read past full.

Next ground the wire that goes to the guage and then the guage will go to empty with key switch on.

This will check the guage and the wiring from the trunk.

If this works then its the wire to the sending unit or the sending unit.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Okay, that's what I needed. A bunch of answers to try to figure this thing out.

To answer some of the questions,
It is NOT an auto meter gauge. It is an original gauge.

Just to clarify, The fuel gauge does move as the gas gets used in the tank but it only goes to where I stated before when I completely fill it. As it gets used up it does go down and seems to read properly when it's nearly empty.

I'll check the ground wire as some of you suggested and if that doesn't work I guess I will have to drop the tank, unwillingly, to check the sender itself. The float filling with fluid is an interesting thought. Has anyone else had this happen? With my luck that's what it will be. After all, the sender is only about 2-3 years old and never has worked correctly, so maybe it was defected right from the beginning.

Last edited by Shady350; Apr 10th, 11 at 08:25 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 11, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Thats exactly what happened to mine. I bought a Spectra premium sender two years ago. The hollow plastic float got a pin hole in it and sank. Also the sender filter had fallen off. Pretty dissapointing after spending $87.00 on it. Mine was so bad all it would do was read empty all of the time. I hate to say it but Ford sells really nice brass floats for $14.00,it works great now.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 11, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech

The float is some kind of hard plastic foam stuff, It's not hollow and I've never seen one get saturated and sink. Check your wires, connectors and grounds.

Ron
The

An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 11, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Daniel

Hi Shady350,

I concur with L30 327, I also had the same problem as you have.

On my 1st Gen, I purchase two bad new repro sending units (giving bad readings) that I finally change for a Spectra Premium Sending Unit P/N FG104C (3/8 Single Line) that I purchased from NAPA.

Good Luck,
Daniel.

Daniel,
1969 SS-350 Camaro, Hugger Orange
2005 Black Mustang GT

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 11, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

L30, thanks for the in site on that I will try the wires and all but it seems the float has happened to more then one person here so maybe it's more common than I thought. Btw, where did you get the ford float and how did you mount it on.

Fbody, thanks for your experience too. It seems that L30 even had an issue with the spectra one, but I think that is gonna be the one I get anyway since it seems a little better quality. Oh and I think the one I need is 104B not C. I'm gonna say you might have a 69 camaro? I noticed there are 4 part numbers 104A is for 5/16 and 104B is for 3/8 for 67 when I checked. It seems that 104c came up for a 3/8 when I used 69 for the search. I don't know why but that is just what I came across.

Thanks again all. It's always great to hear from many to brainstorm on something. But I am still interested in that brass float idea L30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode