Temp. gauge problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
craig

Temp. gauge problem

69 Camaro with gauge package.Problem is when i turn the headlights on the temp. gauge pegs itself on hot.Happens with car running or not.All new wiring harness' from M&H.Any ideas? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 03:09 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Re: Temp. gauge problem

Bad ground. Most likely in the gauge pod area. You say new harness? Main harness? I would back track your grounds on that to. You'll be surprised what one bad ground will fix.

Most recent 01/01/10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideynut View Post
Bad ground. Most likely in the gauge pod area. You say new harness? Main harness? I would back track your grounds on that to. You'll be surprised what one bad ground will fix.
I agree with this. Definitely a bad ground. Like said above, it is probably around the gauge. Check and make sure you cleaned off all paint when you attached all your grounds. A ground needs to bond to clean metal to make proper connection.

67 Camaro

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 03:27 PM
Kris Boutilier

Temperature guage should have 2 wires, one hot 12 V one signal wire and ground comes from enclosure. It almost sounds like your hot 12 V is tied into your lights and is hooked up where your signal should go. Take a volt meter and see if your 12V hot switches on and off with your lights. If so you have wrong hot. Also switch signal and hot wire and see if guage still pins.

I just rewired my 1967 camaro and my temp guage is pinning too. I think I also have the hot and signal on wrong terminals. Going to fix later this week when I get back home.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
craig

It's a single wire sender.396/375.Also my fuel gauge reads 1/2 when it's full. I'll check my grounds again. Thanks again
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 11, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard View Post
It's a single wire sender.396/375.Also my fuel gauge reads 1/2 when it's full. I'll check my grounds again. Thanks again
So does the gauge housing act as a ground?

67 Camaro
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 11, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech
Jeremie

The gauge housing on my 69 acts as a ground. Mine has one ground that is coming from the gauge attached to the gauge housing, and another ground from the harness attached to the gauge housing.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 11, 10:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

The factory console temp gauge has two wires. The Pink wire is the power. The Dark Green wire is from the sender. The sender varies the resistance to change the gauge reading.

One set of the gauges (2 "pods" with 2 gauges each) is tied to the other via a jumper wire. Then, another wire from the harness is connected to the gauges and the transmission tunnel for grounding all the gauges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 11, 09:37 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Yeah! What he said.^

Most recent 01/01/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode