Friends 67 having electrical issues - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Friends 67 having electrical issues

I just got a call from a friend who's having issues with his 67. It has a non-original engine in it and my guess is he's got some wiring issues. He's had issues with the car not cranking over at all.

Here's what he told me:

1) he replaced the starter
2) he replaced the battery

He says that he also checked to see if the car was drawing current when just sitting and that it was not (I will verify this tomorrow when I see him).

He says that if he trickle charges the battery to the point of "the green light saying it's charged" when he tries to start the car it seems to discharge the battery "really fast"

So my guess is, given what hes said, it's either the battery or when he's in the process of trying to start the car there is a short.

Here's what I plan on trying:

1) I told him to trickle charge the battery tonight with it disconnected from the car - we can see if it starts
2) I will take the battery out of my 68 and see if that starts the car

Any ideas how I can check to see if there is a short somewhere when the car is trying to start?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 01:28 PM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Re: Friends 67 having electrical issues

It sounds more like a bad battery cable or ignition switch. Perform a voltage drop test with a digital multi-meter on both positive and negative cables. Check for 12 volts from ignition switch at the starter solenoid.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan E. View Post
It sounds more like a bad battery cable or ignition switch. Perform a voltage drop test with a digital multi-meter on both positive and negative cables. Check for 12 volts from ignition switch at the starter solenoid.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

What's strange to me as that he claims that battery goes from charged to not being charged quickly. I find that hard to believe even it there is a short. I also don't know how he comes to that conclusion other then his car wont start and he hears clicking. Should be a fun thing to debug!

One other thing that was interesting is he said that a puff of smoke came out of the battery.... something I've never ever seen... while he was trying to start the car

Ed

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Usually a puff of smoke is from the cable clamp and battery post being dirty and the current drawn is creating heat across the resistance. Wire brush both items on posts.
Do the same to the other ends of the cables and attach the ground to the block.
test light between a disconnected cable and battery post will show the current drawn and light filament will limit the amount of current drawn. Bright light means significate amount of current drawn. Little brillance means a reduced amount of current drawn.
Might have to view in darkness. Modern electronics will draw a miniscule amount for memory & clock.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Usually a puff of smoke is from the cable clamp and battery post being dirty and the current drawn is creating heat across the resistance. Wire brush both items on posts.
Do the same to the other ends of the cables and attach the ground to the block.
test light between a disconnected cable and battery post will show the current drawn and light filament will limit the amount of current drawn. Bright light means significate amount of current drawn. Little brillance means a reduced amount of current drawn.
Might have to view in darkness. Modern electronics will draw a miniscule amount for memory & clock.
Thanks. I wonder if his voltage regulator / alternator is putting out too much voltage? That might explain him smoking the battery. He took it back this evening and they gave him a new one.

Ed
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 11, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

VR could be set too high, always a possibility.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 11, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech
JAY

Greetings from Arizona
is this a new install or just a problem that came up?
if new install its recheck all wiring for proper connection and clean connections
also check engine to make sure it infact does turn over!
let us know what you find....

few years ago there was a new tool released to mechanics, Its called POWER PROBE! It is the best electrical tester I've ever used, you hook it up to battery on both power and ground....with its 20 foot cord you can test anywhere on the car without looking for good ground. and you can test both power and grounds at same time. I carry one in my car everytime I go out of town to car shows. handy if anyone has electrical issues and needs tester. Good Luck Jay

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 11, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

It's hard to tell if it's a new problem or not because he just bought the car.

Today we put in a new battery and cables. I also saw that his alternator was a 32A which is underrated for a car with AC. I happen to have a 61A rebuilt one so we put that in as well. Car started up right away as expected. Only time will tell if we solved the problem.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 11, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Glad you got it running and all should be normal.

You will probably measure charging voltage across the battery posts and this is a good thing. But, how much charging 'current' is the battery receiving? Kind of like a water-saving faucet, lots of line pressure (voltage), but very little flow (current) due to the orifice in the faucet head. Somewhere between the alt BATT stud and battery post, and ground side also, could be some resistance in the wiring and/or teminals or a broken crimp to reduce current flow.

Harbour Freight sells a cheap 50-0-50 ammeter for around $10 or 50% off with coupon, then $5, and you can insert it between the positive pigtail and junction block for test. Battery will draw close to 30-40 amps right after using the starter, then level off. Over 15-20 minutes, might draw 5-8 amps depending upon charge originally.

'
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 11, 06:16 AM
Retired
Jim

While you fiddle with elec. gremlins, go buy a Wells VR715 regulator, most parts houses carry them, they are electronic replacement for the old style points regulator. The original cap even fits over it... this will confirm your regulator doesnt have issues too.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode