68 Camaro e-z wiring harness install and Qs - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 11, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

68 Camaro e-z wiring harness install and Qs

these harnesses i guess are the ones you can buy from ebay. my friend wants me to install one in his 68. have any of you guys installed one of these? second, he wanted me to try and reuse all the stock connectors and obviously these are brittle and some corroded so i am going to need stuff like light sockets and stuff. probably some new switches too. where do you recommend i buy replacement light sockets and accessories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 06:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Re: 68 camaro e-z wiring harness install and Qs

Sounds like this harness is similar to Painless Wiring brand harnesses. They are cheap, but because they are universal, there is fair amount of splicing, cutting, routing, etc to do. You have to use a lot of your old parts like bulb sockets and connectors, etc.

The next step up would be American Auto Wire "Classic Update Series" of harnesses. They are specifically designed for your car and come with just about everything you need; light switch, ignition switch, dimmer switch, stock mounting fuse box w/bulkhead connector and ATC fuses, original style connectors, light sockets, etc. Plus it has options for different accessories, ignition systems, etc. A very complete system.

http://www.americanautowire.com/67-68camaro.html

Current Project:
69 Z/28 Resto-Mod
Next In Line:
83 Z28 Restoration
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 11, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: 68 Camaro e-z wiring harness install and Qs

i was/am gonna reuse some of the stuff but some of the metal terminals are breaking and some of the stuff is just rough. does american autowire sell these connectors and sockets? anyone else?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 11, 08:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

The correct sockets are hard to come by individually. The ones at the auto parts stores don't fit well. There are various vendors that sell connectors and terminals.

Here's a list I have bookmarked:

http://www.americanautowire.com/index.cfm

http://www.madelectrical.com/

http://www.ronfrancis.com/

http://www.riwire.com./

Current Project:
69 Z/28 Resto-Mod
Next In Line:
83 Z28 Restoration
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 11, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Go to AAW's website and see if they sell the connectors you want. But if you are replacing the wiring harness why not just buy the AAW harness. Then you won't have to worry about it. New connectors and no brittle wiring. You will have both. Third no headache. Like I have read of those that have used other brand wiring harnesses. As Larry stated it designed for your car, the bulkhead will mount directly where the old one was and it will have newer still fuses. They actully have 2 harnesses to chose from. Direct fit and the classic update series which is good if your installing new electrical powered items. i have one but have not gotten it installed yet, but will soon. Don't want to burn up my 69 with old wiring and connectors causing fire.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 11, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Larry brought up another good site. Mad electrical. Mark there is a small operation and he is very hard to get a hold of. He is in CA. Call him later at night. That is when I have had the best luck. Use his New System. It will take the load off of your stock system and help your lights be brighter and your elec. system be more efficient. I changed over to the a couple yrs ago and was amazed at the difference. I will again use that system when I rewire with AAW.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 11, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

thanks for the tips guys. unfortunately for me i have this harness here. its been here for a while and i had started to tag everything on the old harness. started to run into issues like brittleness and old repairs and then stopped realizing my hands were kind of tied. I will let the owner decide whether he wants to get the different harness or get the correct or close to correct connnectors and stuff. that seems like a lot of time consumed though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 11, 07:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Yeah, it can be hard to suddenly have to change horses in midstream. Just keep in mind the final product. What will be the best in the end?

I'm working on a 69 that was built by another shop. I was supposed to finish it for the owner, but there were so many workmanship issues including deliberately hidden rust, that we found another roller and started over. Even after investing thousands of dollars on the original car, we were time and money ahead starting with a new car instead of repairing all the problems the other shop caused.

Current Project:
69 Z/28 Resto-Mod
Next In Line:
83 Z28 Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode