Sense of Humor Failure - Harnesses!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 11, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Sense of Humor Failure - Harnesses!!!

Hey all, Happy Easter!
Mrs. ZLP955 came down with the 'flu, so Easter visiting family became Easter at home
Decided to use the time wisely and try to understand wiring harness requirements. I have no engine compartment wiring remaining, all the rear wiring has been cut and the under-dash stuff is incomplete and very brittle, so I'm planning to re-wire the entire car with all new wiring harnesses.

Then I discovered that trying to interpret the subtle differences between wiring harnesses is indeed a Dark Art.....

What are the references to "warning lights" in certain harness descriptions? Are these the in-dash colored warning lights? If so, why would a front light harness refer to warning lights?
http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-f...ghts-1969.html
Especially since the engine harness also refers to "warning lights":
http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-e...ghts-1969.html
Some under-dash main harnesses refer to warning lights with console shift, and others refer to factory console gauges but no mention of warning lights.....
The 1969 factory wiring diagrams only refer to "warning lamps" for the Corvette, for "Door Ajar", "Headlamps Up" and "Seat Belts".
I am now very confused and am hoping that someone can explain these differences to me - thus avoiding a sense of humor failure!
Do I need to lock myself away for a day with the original wiring diagrams to understand it? Is there a harness 101 class??

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.

Last edited by ZLP955; Apr 25th, 11 at 04:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 11, 06:39 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Sense of Humor Failure - Harnesses!!!

Because in the front engine harness you have temp and oil sensor and possibly tach if your car came with tach. Those will feed to the idiot lights on the dash if it is none console gauge car. If car has gauges on console then those wires will feed to the console gauges.

Did I make it any worse?

Bottom line. Do you have a factory tach? Factory console gauges? Or just use the idiot lights on the dash. WHat exactly do you have for gauges? Or what do you want to have?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 11, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech
Al

^^ X2 ^^

It's just that simple. The console gauge option slightly changed the wiring requirements, both under the hood and under the dashboard. "Warning Lights" was the basic package. (TEMP, OIL, etc) under the gauge pods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 11, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

John & Al,
Thanks for your replies, I get what you both said but I'd like to clarify before ordering parts. What the car has (or once had!) is this:
Instruments in dash carrier: speedo, center clock, factory tach.
Factory console with factory gauges and 4spd shifter.
No A/C, non-RS car.

As I understand it, I will need these main types (am not including misc stuff like heater harness, fan harness, center clock harness etc). I have used links to Ricks site just as examples:

1. Front Lighting Harness.
For cars with gauges (http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-f...uges-1969.html)
2. Engine Compartment Harness.
For V8 cars with gauges (http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-e...uges-1969.html) OR for V8 cars with gauges and carb solenoid (http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-e...noid-1969.html) How do I know if I have a carb solenoid? Is this for electric choke? (I have a 780 Holley 4053).
3. Main under-dash Harness.
For cars with manual console shift and factory console gauges (http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-u...uges-1969.html)
4. Passenger Compartment/Rear Lighting Harness.
A dash-to-quarter harness (http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-d...oupe-1969.html) and a standard (non-RS) rear lighting harness (http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-r...dard-1969.html)

So any references to "warning lights" on harness descriptions is for standard cars that didn't have console gauges, and if I use the above parts I will still have the necessary connections to my dash colored warning lights for overheat, brakes, high beam etc?

Guys, TIA for your help, I just don't want to order the wrong parts as it will cost me time and big $$ to return them from overseas....

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 11, 07:19 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post

So any references to "warning lights" on harness descriptions is for standard cars that didn't have console gauges, and if I use the above parts I will still have the necessary connections to my dash colored warning lights for overheat, brakes, high beam etc?

Guys, TIA for your help, I just don't want to order the wrong parts as it will cost me time and big $$ to return them from overseas....
That's how I understand it, Tim! What I'm not sure of - and I'm sure someone knows - is....did the factory console gauge cars still have the gen,oil & temp warning lights?

My take on the carb solenoid - I've always called it an "anti-dieseling" solenoid. It was mounted on the driver's side of the carb and was meant to close the throttle blades when you shut the car off to prevent run on. I think!! My 307 PG no-AC car had one. Anyway, the wire going to it is a "key on" 12v wire and is pretty handy to have. For example, if you're running an electronic ignition that doesn't call for the resistor wire, it's a good source for that, although you'll have to come up with your own connector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 11, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech
Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
That's how I understand it, Tim! What I'm not sure of - and I'm sure someone knows - is....did the factory console gauge cars still have the gen,oil & temp warning lights?
I am in the middle of rewiring mine now and would like to know that answer too. My biggest roadblock was when I realized I needed a volt meter (additional $125) instead of the ammeter because I purchased the American Autowire upgrade set. My biggest aggrevation has been cutting the wires and putting the connectors on, figured for that price they would be pre-installed. It is good that my son does this, cause I would have broken something by now.

By the way, does Rick's Camaros sell American Autowire?

Anybody know where the courtesy lights go, been a while since I have seen them, now I cannot remember where they go!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtlover View Post
I am in the middle of rewiring mine now and would like to know that answer too.
Hopefully somebody who knows one way or another can clear this up for us. I'm sure there would be a connection for the in-dash "idiot lights" on a gauges car because (as far as I know) the factory console gauges don't have any specific warning function, and the gauges are notoriously difficult to see from a normal driving perspective anyway.

Quote:
By the way, does Rick's Camaros sell American Autowire?
I couldn't find anything on the web site to confirm who supplies the harnesses that Rick's sell, but the American Autowire site does list Rick's First Gen as a dealer of their products (searched for dealers in GA).

Quote:
Anybody know where the courtesy lights go, been a while since I have seen them, now I cannot remember where they go!!!
I think the wiring for the under-dash courtesy lights feeds out from the kick panel (at least on a '69 coupe) with orange/white cables, but if you are asking whereabouts the actual lamps were positioned below the dash, sorry I don't know, hopefully someone who has them can post a pic or dimension. May also be in the AIM?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post

My take on the carb solenoid - I've always called it an "anti-dieseling" solenoid. It was mounted on the driver's side of the carb and was meant to close the throttle blades when you shut the car off to prevent run on.
Thanks for your reply Al, hopefully someone will clarify for sure. Interesting point on the carb solenoid, hadn't thought of that possibility. I'll do some research on the Holley model that I have.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 10:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Since you said "manual" shift console, I assume you have a 4-speed. So, you won't have a solonoid mounted on your intake/carb.

I wouldn't worry too much about weather you will have warning lights with the gauges harnesses. American Auto Wire usually gets it right. So, if they are supposed to be there, they will be. 69s are different, but 68s don't have warning lights for GEN and OIL if gauges are installed. Just BRAKE and (low) FUEL warning lights. While helping another person on here, it does seem that 69s have warning lights even with gauges. I would just buy the AAW harnesses and go with what they have and is more than likely correct...

Rick's and everyone esle sells AAW. AAW is pretty much the go to harness vendor for all the parts houses... Factory Fit is AAW's direct replacement harnesses. AAW Update harnesses have the blade fuses and maintain the factory colors and options. But I believe those kits one has to do crimping, etc. Factory fit, with original style fuses has all the correct connectors already installed. So, one just pulls out the old and pops in the new. OK, maybe not "pop"...

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 11:29 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
Thanks for your reply Al, hopefully someone will clarify for sure. Interesting point on the carb solenoid, hadn't thought of that possibility. I'll do some research on the Holley model that I have.
That solenoid wire would also be a good power source for an electric choke.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 03:25 AM
Senior Tech
Brady

AAW Update harness is what I went with. The bulkhead connector is a plug and play, but had to cut and crimp for the engine compartment, front lights and rear lights, etc. Once that is done, just plug it all together. The big thing that threw me was the voltage regulator, but past that now. The other is the courtesy lights, trying to remember where they go and realizing there is one on the console too. This is a pretty good kit though and you have plenty of extra wire left over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode