Where to get radio installed - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 11, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Where to get radio installed

I am about 40 years older than the last time I owned a camaro and alot less flexible. Car has no radio this time,,just a huge ugly hole in the dash where it used to be. I really only want a basic am/fm radio but a regular simple cd player would be okay also. What would you buy? And where to get it installed.???

On a related note there is only a cut off black wire and a yellow wire(by back of radio). Towards the speaker there is a loose orange and white wire for front speaker,,,havent looked at whats on back window speakers. No terminals or ends anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 11, 02:52 PM
Mike

Re: where to get radio installed

I just picked up a Retro Sound radio myself. It's an AM/FM radio that also has USB,AUX ports too for an iPod etc... I installed it my self along with an amp and speakers etc. You could get something like that and take it to a place like Best Buy and get it installed if you don't want to fool with it. To do it right it is a fair amount of work. I already had the interior tore out so it wasn't quite so bad for me.

warning: there is a good chance that absolutely none of this is accurate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 11, 02:56 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Anywhere that sells radios "should" be able to install...But I would NOT leave it to be picked up later....I would wait
Not that I don't trust the installers...it's the 16-20something year old, keys, and a muscle car that doesn't set well with me. We were all there one time

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 11, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

went to leading place to see new radios. Bottom line am/fm radio with a cd player was about !10 bucks,,,not too bad.

Asked abount installation,,sent over to that place so they could look and see. Good news is guy said everything was right there and accesible for easy install. They are booked solid for at LEAST 3 weeks.

THEN they start spouting off this is such an old car cant just plug it together with normal 50 dollar install,,,so they surcharge it another 35 bucks plus various parts,,of which I dont know,,maybe a few inches of wire,,,anyway they said 100 bucks or so if they didnt find other problems of which they always do.

so long story short they want 100 to install a 110 radio,,,mostly cause its old and they get the keys in morning and you get them back that night. Dont think I trust these guys that far.

What happened to these shade tree experts that can put 4 or 5 wires together in about 20 minutes and hang it in the existing hole??
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 11, 06:18 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I don't see the "upcharge" as it's a straight forward install.... yes, it doesn't just "plug in" but ain't worth that much IMO.

Check a few other places out....

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 11, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

Re: Where to get radio installed

What shaft radio were you buying for $110.00?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 11, 08:47 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

They're wanting to charge you because they likely don't have wiring diagrams to show them what is what and there is no adapter available for your car. Most of their installs they're probable used to using the plug adapter that plugs into the car's harness and then wires to the new radio harness. If you know what wires go where, any one is a plug and play as far as I'm concerned.....pretty much every decent radio uses a plug-in harness so you can wire it up before putting the radio in, then you just plug it into the radio.

I'd get a decent Sony or something with a USB and aux input on the front off ebay and do it yourself if the hole has been hacked. Then pull the front seat out, put some cushions on the floor for your knees, and have at it.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Try to find a resto type shop to do the install. Stay far, far away from any "chain" type place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode