68 with idiot lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

68 with idiot lights

I've been going in circles trying to get what wires were original to a 68 with idiot lights in the front light harness. The AIM and chassis service manual diagrams have a mix of idiot light and gauge set ups. I'm looking for what came on the car from the factory in a few important places. Long story short: I put in a console conversion harness to fix the wiring that was hacked up for the console. Then I found the console wasn't original and now I have to un do what I did and am going to put in the idiot light pod. That part is easy, but since I didn't have the car when it had idiot lights, I don't know what wires only go for the idiot light set up. I've got most of it figured out but need help in a few areas:

1) I need to know if the white wire coming off the alt. turns into an orange wire with a fusible link as the AIM shows before it goes to the VR. Or if it was originally white all the way from the alt. to the VR. One other person said theirs was white but their harness was kind of hacked up.

2) The AIM shows a pink wire going from the terminal farthest to the right on the VR to the bulkhead connector. I have a brown wire in this position and assume this goes through to the dash and then to the GEN warning light. One other person has told me their wire is brown also, but I would like to confirm if someone else has an untouched harness they could look at and is this position D-U on the bulkhead connector?

3) The AIM shows an orange fusible link wire connected to the junction block behind the battery that turns into a black wire that goes to the bulkhead connector and then another orange fusible link that has a black wire with a white stripe that goes to the horn relay and then to the bulkhead connector. These are ones I added in the kit for the AMP gauge for the console and were not on the car. Are these not needed for an idiot light car?

If anyone has an original car or harness that could help I would greatly appreciate it. I have a week of vacation coming up and I would like to get this all back at that time.

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 9th, 11, 09:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: 68 with idiot lights

:-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
:-)
Thought I'd get more traffic over here. I can't believe no one has an original 68 with idiot lights. This wiring diagram BS is driving me crazy.

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 04:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

There should be people here that have done it all. Watch, once the replies start, there will be a ton. I know another guy here made his own schematics. I forget if they are for gauges or not. Again, I modified the schematics based on my new harnesses...

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

I've got tons of different wiring diagrams, but I can't gt those three items above nailed down. None of them show lights only. I saw some laminated ones for sale, but they don't show a big enough picture to see if they are the same as the lame AIM and I don't need to get more of the same.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
There should be people here that have done it all. Watch, once the replies start, there will be a ton. I know another guy here made his own schematics. I forget if they are for gauges or not. Again, I modified the schematics based on my new harnesses...

Where does your brown wire we discussed go into the bulkhead? Is it DU as listed above? And does yours have that orange wire to the terminal behind the battery and the one off the horn relay? If not I think I'm done. The white wire to the alt can wait.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 05:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

I really don't know what the DU and other letters you use are... Are they one the fuse block itself? I just drew a figure of the shape of the fuse block and added numbers where there were wires... Basically using the figures from the AIM schematics (BTW, I really use the separate Wiring Diagram Manual that can be bought).

According to my drawing, the Brown wire is in the second slot in from the left, bottom row, on the right half of the block (light harness). It has VR Red on the left (Black in AIM) and Right Turn Signal Dark Blue on it's right. Basically, where the AIM shows it. But the figure is rotated 90 degrees clockwise in the AIM from how hit mounts on the firewall, right.

I will guess that only one wire goes to the Junction Block if the car has Waring Lights. The second wire, Black with Orange fusable link, used in my harnesses, goes to the Ammeter. The other wire from the Ammeter ends up at the Main Splice (Main Splice connects to Junction Block, VR, HR, and Alt.). The one to the Main Splice is Black with White and then has an Orange fusable link. If your GEN Warning light gets it's signal from the Ignition Switch, I would say the B/W is not needed, either...

Also, from all the pictures of the VR that I have noticed and saved (only about 5), the wire is Brown, not Pink. In addition, I've seen other people's version of schematics that have been changed by the creater to Brown... They also have a straight White wire to the Alt. Even the Console Gauges and RS Schematics document has that for the 69...

Do you want my diagrams that I made? Yes, they are for a car with gauges (and a couple other options). But maybe you can work backwards from there???

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Thanks, I think I've got it. I have lots of wiring diagrams, but the biggest problem was the mix of gauges and lights in all of them and in the post on CRG I mentioned the 69 had brown like we have on ours.

My other problem is not knowing whether a PO had changed the harness or hacked it up etc. Having added the console gauges, I don't know what else they may have changed, but it seems it is the right harness and wires.

I added both the black and black with white striped wires to my car with the conversion harness, so it didn't have them before that at all.

I think I can go with your description of where the brown wire goes in the harness without seeing a pic. If you look on most of the wiring diagrams they have letters beside the wire positions and that's where I got the DU (they are on the bulkhead connectors too). Once I get the harness out and the dash undone it will be more clear to me how things go. I just wanted to be ready when I got there and not sit with it like that while I waited for an answer to something I couldn't figure out. Many thanks.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Now I need to find a source for some of the connectors and the wire.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 07:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68zproject View Post
Now I need to find a source for some of the connectors and the wire.
American Autowire will sell some of the connectors.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

1. Yes, white turns to orange between alt & VR. Orange is fusible link.White wire to left terminal on alt, orange on VR #2.
Blue wire from VR F to right terminal of alt connector. VR #3 is red from a factory crimp to red wire from junction block to horn relay, could attach to horn relay buss bar.

2. Pink from VR #4 to firewall connector, then brown inside interior. Then brown to inst cluster.

3. Not needed for idiot light dash, only used for OE ammeter.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old May 12th, 11, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968RallySport View Post
American Autowire will sell some of the connectors.
I e-mailed them and they said no.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old May 12th, 11, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
1. Yes, white turns to orange between alt & VR. Orange is fusible link.White wire to left terminal on alt, orange on VR #2.

2. Pink from VR #4 to firewall connector, then brown inside interior. Then brown to inst cluster.
Are you going from a car or the Wiring diagram?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old May 12th, 11, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Diagram and what I remember from previous owned Camaros.
Also, Motors Manual, 1974.
However, it may not be gospel by color, but, wire routing is correct.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 12th, 11, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode