69 parking lamp issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Eric

69 parking lamp issue

Hey guys, the parking light on the passengers side of my car will not light up when I turn my lights on, but the blinker still works. The drivers side and all the rest of the lights are working perfectly.

I've already checked to make sure the bulb is good, and the grounds don't seem to be the problem either.

I don't have much experience with this so If someone could throw out some ideas or school me on what to do here I would really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: 69 parking lamp issue

Check the connector plug where the light assembly plugs into the harness between the battery and the fender. Also check for power to both contacts in the socket with a test light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Eric

Ok will do.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Eric

Ok so the connector plug looks fine, but I'm not getting any power when I checked it with my test light. What now?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 09:24 PM
Senior Tech
Al

You are doing the test with the lights turned on, right?

When you use the test light - alligator clip to a good clean ground, and probe the socket contacts with the pointed tip. I always "test" my test light across the batt before I use it.

Undo the plug mentioned earlier and test the contacts on the harness side of the plug and see what you get. With light switch "on" and key "off" only one of the contacts should be live.(park light) With lights and key both on, and right t/s activated, both should be live.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Eric

Haha yeah lights were on...

I'll give your next suggestion a try.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Eric

Ok I did what you said, and it is getting full power through both leads at the wiring harness when lights are on and turn signal on. And only one wire gets power when only the lights are on.

So the problem must be with the parking lamp itself then right? Or am I wrong?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 11, 11:07 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Progress!! You've narrowed it down to the brown wire in the socket housing/pigtail. The harness is good.

I would clean the contacs on both sides of the connector plug, and clean the 2 nubbon contacts and the inside wall of the bulb socket.(sandpaper, wire brush, etc.) It's possible but unlikely that the brown wire is broken between the lamp housing and the plug. It's easy enough to remove the lamp housing and the pigtail to inspect it carefully.

PS The plug connector isn't the greatest design in the world - sometimes just fiddling/jiggling around with them a bit will cure the problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode