Gauge & misc. wiring ?'s - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 11, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
AJ

Gauge & misc. wiring ?'s

Pulled the ins. panel out of my '68 today because the gauge lights are no longer working.
When we first bought & restored the car in '05-0'6 the gauges worked, then stopped, then about a year later the back lights for the gauges (the nice green glowing ones) started working again, then they have not worked since. The idiot lights work, high beam indicator and turn signals, but not the backing lights.
I noticed the flex panel circuit isn't really glued down anymore, and many of the bulbs are burned out. If the circuit board is dead, wouldn't all of the lights in the dash be out? Should I replace the board along with the bulbs?
Also, which bulbs are correct for the backing lights, turn signals, and idiot lights?
One other thing, the dome light used to work, then when I closed the door one day, the light stayed on? Couldn't get it to turn off, even when twisting the dimmer, pulled the light and unplugged the wire from the door plunger to prevent shorting.

Now onto my next and most important question, I was looking at the wiring since I was looking for an auxilary spot to run other electronics from and found the hot lead going to the coil was actually spliced into the original ballast wire, since all the places in my fuse block are taken, where can this be run from, also, how difficult is it to install a new engine harness, mine looks like an accident waiting to happen, wires are good, but the plug in the fire wall looks terrible.
Thanks in advance, sorry for being long winded.

Pics:

Also, thought this was very cool, I love finding original stickers, markings, writing on these cars, so far mine all matches up, not that it matters since I'll never sell it, just think it's neat:

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 11, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Gauge & misc. wiring ?'s

The engine harness is very easy to replace. Remove the bolt you see in the center of the plug, and pull both harness plugs straight out. The two harness plugs (engine & front harness) will come out as a single unit, then you separate them by sliding them aprart.

I had the same issue as you on the fuse box - needed more spaces. I attached a terminal block to the under side of the steering column support, and ran a 14ga wire with an inline fuse from the ACC spade to the block, and then wired new stuff to the terminal block. http://bluesea.com/category/9/35/products/2314

I noticed you have something connected to the top center spade on your fuse box. That is the BATT terminal and is hot at all times.

The ACC terminal is hot with the key in ACC and run positions.

The IGN terminal is hot with key in run and while cranking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 11, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

The instrument panel grounds through a strap on that runs to the top center bezel screw. If you're testing it not mounted, make sure you ground that strap.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 25th, 11, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

All the bulbs in the inst cluster are 194.
Follow Al's suggestion for more power.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 25th, 11, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

The top row of bulbs are the instrument lights. The bottom row are the warning and turn signal lights. The turn signal lights are bottom center of each pod. Sometimes, the sockets have to have their contacts bent up to contact the circuit board more firmly. Some cleaning of the circuit board and socket contact areas might be in order, too. Plug contacts, as well... I don't believe the circuit board is "glued" down to the housing. It is held in place by the nuts, harness connector, and sockets.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode