OEM tach w/MSM dist + 6al - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 11, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

OEM tach w/MSM dist + 6al

I hope this is the right forum for this question?? I just installed a z-28 6,000 redline OEM tach in my '67 (non-tach model). I just started the car for the 1st time. 'Roughly' 900 rpms read 2300 at idle.

HELP!

Thanks guys!

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 11, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: OEM tach w/MSM dist + 6al

Is this with it connected to the the TACH output wire from the MSD box?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Jun 1st, 11 at 10:48 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 11, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

yes - ground to chasis, signal to the box, and red to ignition - from the OEM Tach

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 11, 11:35 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I'm out then.
http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3300

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 10:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Filter installed?

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 11, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Tach is reading the multiple sparks, it senses the changes in voltage, highs & lows.
2300 / 3 = approx 900 rpm.

Might try a MSD tach filter with the filter hooked to the coil as per instructions rather than using the TACH spade on the MSD for the OE tach. TACH spade would work for an aftermarket tach.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 11, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

No filter installed. I didn't need on with my column mounted tach. Fortunately I have a Summit Racing 7 miles from my house. I will go grab one (if in stock) and report back.

As always --> Thanks Guys!

Strick
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 11, 10:25 AM
Senior Tech
Kip

I had the exact same situation.... plus ... as the engine RPMs increased, the tach needle increased disproportionately.... It was way outa wack... I installed the 8920 tach filter. Its better than it was... Close at idle but it is still off by about 500 RPMS at 70mph. VERY irratating situation. I hope you have better luck with it than I did....

K
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv67ssrs View Post
I had the exact same situation.... plus ... as the engine RPMs increased, the tach needle increased disproportionately.... It was way outa wack... I installed the 8920 tach filter. Its better than it was... Close at idle but it is still off by about 500 RPMS at 70mph. VERY irratating situation. I hope you have better luck with it than I did....

K
How did you attach the 8920? I ignored the instruction and hooked it up initially 'in-line' with the old tach wiring and the tach wouldn't even work - Ground to ground, ignition to ignition, trigger to trigger, violet unplugged. I haven't had time to try the instruction route.

Strick
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Ben

I had the same issue. I changed out the fuel gauge for the tach and it was way off. The guy that installed it finally adjusted something behind the gauge(think he said he had to break a solder) to make the adjustment and ever since i have been within ~100rpm of my digital tach readout on my shiftlight.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensrat View Post
I had the same issue. I changed out the fuel gauge for the tach and it was way off. The guy that installed it finally adjusted something behind the gauge(think he said he had to break a solder) to make the adjustment and ever since i have been within ~100rpm of my digital tach readout on my shiftlight.
Thanks for that! Any idea what he did?

I have been thinking about the possibility of swapping out the internals with my old column mounted tach, but looks a little daunting.

Strick
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 01:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

Send a message via Yahoo to cadmanof50s

OK..according to the URL that Steiner posted, GM TACHs have an inline filter that has to be bypassed.. Any idea where this filter would be physically located?

I have a TIC-TOC in my car and I am thinking of getting an MSD system. My TAC connection consists of a single wire (can't make out the exact color) that goes to the negative side of the coil. I assume I have to disconnected it from the negative of the coil (as per MSD's instruction), remove the inline filter and then use the TAC connection on the side of the MSD unit. (?)

Vic

Vic Brincat

383 SB, AFR 195 Heads, 670 Holley, Doug Thorley Tri-Y Headers, Lunati "Voodo" roller cam, Weiand 8150 Intake, Scorpion Edurance Rockers, 700r4, Eaton Posi with 3.73 gears, Front Discs, Summit Legend 5 - 15" with BF Goodrich TAs
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 03:52 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmanof50s View Post
OK..according to the URL that Steiner posted, GM TACHs have an inline filter that has to be bypassed.. Any idea where this filter would be physically located?

I have a TIC-TOC in my car and I am thinking of getting an MSD system. My TAC connection consists of a single wire (can't make out the exact color) that goes to the negative side of the coil. I assume I have to disconnected it from the negative of the coil (as per MSD's instruction), remove the inline filter and then use the TAC connection on the side of the MSD unit. (?)

Vic
Well I have my 69 Tach out of the dash at the moment. I think it is the one or both of the green circuits shown here. They are attached to a white circuit board that connects to the three lugs on the rear of the tach. I don't know if 68 Tic-Toc-Tach has the same guts. I think the wire color is brown going to the coil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 544.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	22855  

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 08:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Brown wire to coil and Brown to circuit board connector for '68. It is a straight wire to/from fuse block. Power is Pink wire in connector.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 11, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
Brown wire to coil and Brown to circuit board connector for '68. It is a straight wire to/from fuse block. Power is Pink wire in connector.
Can you expand on that some? Are you speaking of the internal wires in the tach? Since I am replacing the fuel gauge, and had no tach, I have no 'stock' tach wires. I have to run a trigger wire on my own + ignition + ground from the back of the OEM tach I just installed.

FYI (to all) I tried hooking the tach up stock = trigger to (-) side of coil, ignition, and ground --> the tach did not work at all.

Strick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode