Lets play a game called "where the heck does the wire go" - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Lets play a game called "where the heck does the wire go"

2 wires here. 1 on the top right, coming off the voltage regulator, the other on the bottom, left, which comes from the front wiring harness.

1 wire here, laying on top of the proportioning valve. It looks like it plugs in right on top of the valve, but I can't seem to get it to click in, and don't want to break anything.

There are 2 wires here spliced into the wiper motor which run across the front wiring gutter and has a connector just laying there. It looks like this was just spliced in for something, though I have no idea why. I'd like to just remove it if possible.

Thanks guys!

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 04:35 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Lets play a game called "where the heck does the wire go"

Jason - I've seen a few guys install over the counter carbs with electric choke and steal power from the hot wiper leg but not with a connector like that.

The voltage regulator wire kinda looks like a weird radio noise suppressor but its a strange way to mount it making it look like a ground connection. Mine just clamps under one of the mounting screws. Does your VR has a noise suppressor - can't see behind the wire bundle in the picture.

I'm stumped by the other two brown wires to a single connector. I assume its a female connection? Someone here will know exactly what accessory it powered - My first thought is a novelty horn?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 04:39 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

where on the VR is that thing connected? Top bus or side? Is the clip flush to one side of the barrel of the wire as if you slid it under a bolt head the whole unit would sit flush to the radiator support - assuming it is a noise suppressor and should be mounted under one of the top VR bolts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 05:11 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Ok I just hit the garage and on my 69 the brake connector should fit snugly. Try rolling up the bottom edge so the connector is exposed, slide on, then roll down the rubber boot.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 05:55 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

The brake connector won't fit properly, it's a factory connector and boot and the terminal on the aftermarket valve block is different than the factory item.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
The brake connector won't fit properly, it's a factory connector and boot and the terminal on the aftermarket valve block is different than the factory item.
Well that sucks. The brake kit was from Belair Bobs....I wonder what I have to do to get that to work. Surely I can't be the only one to run into this.

Jason
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 06:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

My kit from Bob came with a connector pigtail. Maybe check your boxes again.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
My kit from Bob came with a connector pigtail. Maybe check your boxes again.
It was installed over a year ago, and the boxes are long gone, but I don't remember ever seeing one. I guess I'll email Bob and see if I can get one separate.

Jason
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 09:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Yes, would be good to know where that first one connects on the VR.

The only brown stuff that is in that area is for running lights (and one in the VR connector). Maybe test it for voltage with key off, key on, lights on, etc.

Tan wire is figured out. Sweet!

Yah, looks like someone needed a key on 12V supply to something. Aftermarket coil, choke, etc.

I love guessing games! lol

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 09:51 PM
Stephen

I knew the brake wire as I found mine siting wound up next to the valve body. what does the wire poer though?

no clue about the rest....

1969 Camaro
LeMans Blue and white stripes
540 BBC, T56,12 Bolt, 3.42 posi
CalTracs Bars, linelock, 6AL-2
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 11, 10:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

The Tan wire that goes to the differential switch (originally) goes to the Fuse Block. It joins the Tan E-Brake wire that leads to the Instrument Cluster BRAKE warning light. When a leak is sensed in the diff. switch (a plunger slides to one side and grounds if there is low/no pressure to either the front or rear brakes), the BRAKE warning light illuminates.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 11, 02:43 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

By the wiring diagram in the assembly manual the 2 brown wires are part of the side marker lights. There should be a single brown wire there that it would plug into coming from the engine fuse block?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 11, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The cylinder lying on the top of the VR is a radio suppression filter, and as Brian suggests, Post #3, it should be mounted to a VR mounting bolt to ground the case.

These suppresion filters were added to suppress the spikes the mech VR generated when the relay contacts inside opened & closed reducng noise in the AM radio. Another filter is installed on the coil + terminal for the same reason, point set opening & closing. There may or may not be one installed on the blower power wire. These filters were installed on the power supply wire and IGN side because this is where radio gets its power. Modern and aftermarket radios have filters built in plus later models, 1974 and up, came with electronic VR's and electronic ignitions, no spikes.

Along with the filter were the ground straps, the copper braids, from the firewall to engine, one for L6, two for V8, and a strap on the pass side firewall body mount to subframe.

We Elderly mechanics used a simple transistor AM radio to set initial timing. Set the timing marks were you want, ie, 6 BTDC, turn on the AM radio and set it next to the dist, and turn the dist in the normal direction of rotation for point set opening and listen for the 'snap' from the radio. Tighten dist. Done.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 11, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Alright, so I'll connect the filter to one of bolts.
The extra wiring from the wiper motor is getting removed.
I'm waiting to hear back from Bob about the brake light from the prop valve and what I need to connect it.

I'm still confused about the double brown wire in the passenger side headlight/corner lamp area, as all of the lights work fine, and there is nothing matching it to plug it into.

Jason
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 11, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech
Dan

I had a similar situation with my aftermarket brake switch and ended up using a female single connector from an old motorcycle harness it fit perfect and I also used one on the e-brake pedal switch.

68 camaro RS 327/275 THM350 4 wheel disc brake 8.5 10 bolt 3.42 daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode