Right rear taillight dimmer than left - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 11, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

Right rear taillight dimmer than left

My right rear taillight on my 1969 Camaro is dimmer than the left one. Looks like a ground maybe. Where would I look to find that ground. Wiring is not my thing but I think I can figure it out. Thanks, Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 11, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Right rear taillight dimmer than left

The ground for the trunk harness on a 69 is on the trunk latch support, but that doesn't sound like it's your problem. Make sure you have the correct bulbs in the sockets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 11, 04:53 AM
Kevin

Switch the bulbs from side to side. If the dimmness follows, then you do not have the correct candles power of lamps. If it stays on the same side, then it could be the ground. The ground starts at the plug end of the harness and actually splits into mulitple legs to feed the bulbs. It is possible for a leg to have a weak connection and the rest do not. If you have a ground issue and do not know wiring, get a new taillamp wiring harness.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 11, 05:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

If the sockets have been replaced or messed with it is possible that the wires were switched going to the socket. As in the tail light wire is connected to the brake light lead, this would be on the brighter blub.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 11, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Assuming correct lamp

Thge ground is as describes above, but u will find the problem will be in the socket connection joint

Does the lamp tend to blow more often than the rest?
inspect the lamp glass ..does it have a blackish/silvering coating on the inside of the glass?
Bloth of the above indicate a bad ground.....the bad ground is a resistance in the circuit...this draws extra current...sort of 'sucks' extra current thru the lamp, over heats the filtment, which tends to vapourise a little, and the metal condenses on the inside of the glass.

Check and clean the blub holder and where the wires go in...
If fresh paint...use a star washer to cut thru to metal on the ground to the body,,,,or just clean up.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 11, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Fwiw, I had a similar problem when I first got my 68. I spent hours trying to troubleshoot the wiring, sockets, bulbs, etc. and finally gave up. Pretty sure I had 2 bad sockets so I replaced all 4 sockets, put in new bulbs, and ran an extra ground lead. Haven't had a problem since.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode