Voltage regulator issue? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 11, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Loreto

Voltage regulator issue?

Getting closer to getting my car on the road after 2 years of restoration. Encountered first bump on the road of proably many. While preparing to start the engine, noticed a live feed thgrough wires wven with key on off. After testing wires from front harness, I found terminal 4(brown wire) on regulator is grounding.... is this an issue? Wiring diagram show this brown going straight to fuse panel so I'm not sure its supposed to be grounded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 11, 06:51 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Voltage regulator issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loreto67rs View Post
Getting closer to getting my car on the road after 2 years of restoration. Encountered first bump on the road of proably many. While preparing to start the engine, noticed a live feed thgrough wires wven with key on off. After testing wires from front harness, I found terminal 4(brown wire) on regulator is grounding.... is this an issue? Wiring diagram show this brown going straight to fuse panel so I'm not sure its supposed to be grounded.
Brown heads to the firewall then to the GEN light. Is it live? or just grounded? I assume you get a GEN light when you turn the key?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 11, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Loreto

Here is my test setup. I have a test light betwenn neg cable and ground. If I run a wire from pos lead to the terminal 4 of the regulator, the test light lights up... which indicates the treminal 4 is grounding. (?)
This issue came up while preparing the car ready for its first crank. Here is what I did, No key in ignition. I connected front harness (minus the lights, horn and rs switches) to voltage regulator, alternator, horn relay and red to junction block. Engine harness was connected to starter (no distributor installed at this point yet). The postive cable was connected to starter and junction block. Red wire from harness was connected to junction block. When I went to ground the neg cable, I got a spark. I traced it to the brown wire on the harness which I then traced back to regulator. I dont have a lot of wiring knowledge but I think this is an issue.... what do you think.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 11, 07:50 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I'm not too sure at this point but I think the Gen light wire is correct, it should be grounded to dash side, juice sent from VR if there is a charging system issue I think- and sounds like the VR thinks there is an issue. Full diagram here https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect...g/charging.pdf

Is the Alternator connected in its correct configuration (assume its original style three wire?) maybe one of the connectors is misaligned? Horn Relay and VR are both bolted tight to radiator support for good ground? Maybe your VR is bad. Is it the original? Battery cables tight, main splice tight?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 11, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Loreto

Alternator not connected yet. Battery cables are tight. main splice (dont know what that is). horn and vr bolted to rad support. good ground. Test light comes on when I touch either vr housing or terminal 4.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 11, 09:21 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loreto67rs View Post
Alternator not connected yet. Battery cables are tight. main splice (dont know what that is). horn and vr bolted to rad support. good ground. Test light comes on when I touch either vr housing or terminal 4.
The main splice is the bundled red wire that loops from the Alternator, to Horn Relay and also to VR port 3. See the posted link to the wiring diagram. It is just to the right of the VR between it and the Horn Relay.

So the white and the blue VR wires are not connected to the Alternator so I think they need to be looped, or just hook the Alternator up ( don't have to belt or bolt it on, just connect its harness up) in order to test your circuit.

Everett would be the best one to PM on that. I had assumed the entire charging system was in place. I expect that the GEN voltage is correct if the white and blue are just hanging free.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode