Wiper adjustment - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 11, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kevin

Wiper adjustment

I am trying to hook up wipers on my 68. Motor is in, wired, ( appears to be never reasd any operating fine) have what seems to be the correct arm yet when attatched to the wiper transmission it runs 1/2 and seems to jam. I cannot see it binding anywhere. When trans disconnected from armm everything seems to move freely. It is almost like the arm is the wrong lenght. I check against pictures here and everytghing seems ok. Do I need to put a little bend in the linkage or am I missing something. I've searched, seen others with a similar problem but never read of a cure HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 11, 01:00 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Wiper adjustment

I had an issue just like that last time I got the car painted....only time I have had the car painted rather than do myself
Afdter a lot of measuring, cant find anything, turnd out someone had climbed up on the car ro sand the roof or something, put their weight on the area under the cowl and the 'plate parts had been 'pressed down slightly....
A bit of tweeking with the crow bar and blocks of wood fixed the issue.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 11, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kevin

I got to the point where I had to walk away. I can't find what is binding. I can see around everything. I'll go back to it tommorrow and see what's what. It acts as if the linkage is too long and won't swing past the 2 o clock mark on the motor.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 11, 11:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

To check if the arm is too long, have you tried moved the trasmission in a simulated circle the arm travels with the trasmission off the arm?

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 11, 11:24 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

also, check to make sure the screws that hold down the cowl panel are not too long otherwise they will interfere.....ask me how I know

Gary
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kevin

If I try to rotate as if it were on the arm I get the same effect (binding) If I chocke up on the throw I think they would rotate fine.

As for the cowl panel that's not an issue (yet) as the panel is not on
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Does the arm linkage return to the correct "park" position after completing a cycle?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kevin

wiper motor returns to the same 7 o clock (looking at the nut inside the cowl) when switch is turned off.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

I had a similar issue once. In my case it was caused by someone snapping and re-drilling the wiper mounts a little off. Apparently it doesn't take much.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kevin

It almost seems like the wiper motor offset shaft is too far towards the passenger side. I have a lot of throw area to the drivers side but not the passengers. Can the motor be turned in the housing?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I had a similar issue once. In my case it was caused by someone snapping and re-drilling the wiper mounts a little off. Apparently it doesn't take much.
Correct which was my issue in a different area

Are these the orginal arms that have worked in the past....Im assuming yes up to this point.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kevin

I don't know. The transmission was there. The wiper motor and arm are new from Ricks. I never got a wiper motor with the car.
They(Ricks) only make one wiper motor for a 68, the transmission linkage may or not be original.

It appears that if the ball on the arm was where the shaft itself is it would work properly.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 07:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

The arm on my spare motor measures about 1 15/16" from the nut to the ball. The arm is about 1" from the body to the face where the ball mounts (ball side). My arm stops closer to the 8 o'clock position as shown in the AIM. It's almost at it's furthest to the driver's side as it gets, relative to the trans. arm/rod.

Do you have a gasket between the wiper motor and firewall? Maybe that is enough to make a difference (if missing).?.?

You might also do a couple firm pulls against the binding to see if you can hear where it is? I'm thinking out loud here...

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 11, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kevin

Does anyone have the measurement differences between 67&68 linkages. The motor, arm and mounting all seem to be correct. The linkage can't go in backwards can it? One rod from DS wiper to PS wiper and one rod from PS wiper to motor.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 11, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kevin

Update. Knowing I had the right motor, arm, & transmission I started from scratch by removing the transmission. Started on the passsenger side and found one bolt was about 1" long and the other about 1/2". I remounted the passenger side with just the 1/2" bolt and tested the fit. Well don't you know it worked. The 1"bolt was bent and I cut a good 1/4" off and reused it. Cowl is on, wipers are on and we're good to go!! \Thanks for all the suggestions and guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode