Battery Drain on new build - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 11, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Clint

Battery Drain on new build

Any advice on how to start troubleshooting a battery drain problem? I have a newer frame off resto, 350 crate and AAW classic update wiring harness. I finally had the courage to leave my battery hooked up for a week and now it's dead. Not sure where to start?

Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 11, 04:24 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Battery Drain on new build

Check the obvious things like an always on trunk light, glove box light, or hot wired radio. If not there then check electrical subsystems one by one.

Let us know the year and style of your ride along with options installed factory and aftermarket that will help. Is the Voltage Regulator new or original? Original or conversion alternator, stock distributor and ignition system?

Have you tested how much current is being drawn from the battery yet? I assume there is some original harnesses left when using the classic update or does it replace everything - only adding new style fuse system?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 11, 05:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

A quick test is to pull the fuses one at a time until the drain goes away. Though, not everything is fused... But other things can be disconnected, as well. Like the alt., VR, HR, etc.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 11, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Rig up a test light between the battery cable and battery post and look at the bulb glow.
As suggested, disconnect all electric devices one at a time and the one reducing the glow is the problem circuit.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Rig up a test light between the battery cable and battery post and look at the bulb glow.
As suggested, disconnect all electric devices one at a time and the one reducing the glow is the problem circuit.
Just so I understand this.........if I have a short the test light bulb will glow when placed between the battery post and cable, correct? Do I check this on the positive or negative or doesn't it matter?

Thanks everyone for the help. I will try this over the weekend and get back with everybody.

Clint
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 04:53 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

positive terminal to positive cable. If you have a short, it will light up (dim light usually)

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 11, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Clint

Thanks everyone for the help. Here is where I'm at..........I tried the test light between the cables and the light will glow for about 2-3 seconds and then go out. I removed the fuses and any other wires one at a time and still had the test light glow. I also removed my electric fan wire and the alternator battery wire and still had the problem. I also get a arc while connecting my negative cable up.

I have the AAW classic update kit with electric fan, Vintage air, Mallory SS Comp distributor and coil if that helps anyone.

Clint
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 11, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremie

Make sure the door is closed when you perform this test.

69 327/332hp Le Mans Blue

71 C-10
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 11, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN10 View Post
I did it with the door open. What problem would this cause?

Clint
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 11, 04:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Door open, dome lights on, do the test on neg cable, always disconnet neg first, connect last.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 11, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb90 View Post
I tried the test light between the cables and the light will glow for about 2-3 seconds and then go out. I removed the fuses and any other wires one at a time and still had the test light glow.
Clint
If test light is on for about 2-3 seconds, do you have an OE electric clock?
An aftermarket stereo/amp?
Unplug voltage regulator?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 11, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN10 View Post
Tried this and still had the same results.

Quote:
If test light is on for about 2-3 seconds, do you have an OE electric clock?
An aftermarket stereo/amp?
Unplug voltage regulator?
No OE clock. Have retrosound radio with no amp, pulled hot lead for radio during testing. Voltage regulator is internal to alternator and unhooked the battery leads to it and still had a glow on the test light.

Thanks to everyone so far for the help. Please keep the ideas coming if you could think of anything.

Clint
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 11, 04:25 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Watch this; it shows how to detect very small current drains :

http://www.youtube.com/user/scottyki.../0/B__DqK90IIc
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 11, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Keep the light hooked up and unplug every device one at a time and check glow.
When everything is unplugged, disconnect the red wire going into the firewall and check.
If it is still glowing, check/remove the positive pigtail junction block from the rad support next to the battery. Sometimes there is rust build-up between the stud and support - high resistance - very low current drawn.
If bulb goes out, then a dash harness problem. Red wire inside feeds two devices - ign sw & head light switch and fuse panel for convenience circuits - courtesy lights, glove box light, trunk light, cig lighter, any device you can think, disconnect it.

Once the light is out from the last circuit, reconnect the last circuit, disconnect both battery cables and measure the resistance across both cables - it will be a high resistance, >100K ohms meaning microamps of current drawn, a low glow.

Good luck, may the force be with you...........

'
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 11, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Clint

Quote:
Keep the light hooked up and unplug every device one at a time and check glow.
When everything is unplugged, disconnect the red wire going into the firewall and check.
If it is still glowing, check/remove the positive pigtail junction block from the rad support next to the battery. Sometimes there is rust build-up between the stud and support - high resistance - very low current drawn.
If bulb goes out, then a dash harness problem. Red wire inside feeds two devices - ign sw & head light switch and fuse panel for convenience circuits - courtesy lights, glove box light, trunk light, cig lighter, any device you can think, disconnect it.

Once the light is out from the last circuit, reconnect the last circuit, disconnect both battery cables and measure the resistance across both cables - it will be a high resistance, >100K ohms meaning microamps of current drawn, a low glow.

Good luck, may the force be with you...........
Everret, thanks for the reply. Where do I disconnect the red wire from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode