Questions on American Auto Wire Update kit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Questions on American Auto Wire Update kit

Hi all. I am in the process of installing the complete wiring kit in my 67 and have a few minor questions. Got the fusebox mounted, most of the engine harness connected & the ignition switch installed. The ignition switch they supplied only goes one way and the key ends up upside down. It will work fine but it's annoying. It's not a damn Mopar.. What's the best way to correct that ? Also looking at the diagram for the engine compartment harnesses (engine & lighting) I don't see a wire to go to the junction block or any going to the horn relay. Just one single wire labelled "horn" Are these 2 parts not needed with this harness or am I missing something ? Thanks for any advice. I can rebuild engines, Muncies, etc. in my sleep but wiring freaks me out..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 07:36 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Questions on American Auto Wire Update kit

I would give them a call. Doesn't sound right about the ignition. I've only worked with the Factory Fit line, never a Classic update.

Tech support 1-800-482-WIRE(9473) Monday-Friday 8:00am - 5pm EST

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks. I just got off the phone with them and I'm stuck either modifying the hole in the dash (not what I wanted to do) or maybe filing a flat on the opposite side of the ignition switch body, or living with an upside down key. The ignition switch they provide has to be used because it has 12 volts coming out to operate electronic ignition, etc. and for some odd reason it's made with the lock cylinder upside down. The other 2 questions were answered. The horn relay is in the fuesbox and the junction block on the radiator support is no longer needed. Back to the garage to figure out the best way to deal with the ignition switch. OK update. That wasn't so bad. Used a right angle die grinder with a 2" scotchbrite pad and made a flat directly opposite the one that was there on the body of the switch and it fits perfectly rightside up so the key dosn't look like it belongs in a Chrysler..

Last edited by NHBandit; Jun 16th, 11 at 09:10 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 10:14 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Good deal Mark.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 02:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

you modified the switch or the dash?

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 08:55 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBandit View Post
update. That wasn't so bad. Used a right angle die grinder with a 2" scotchbrite pad and made a flat directly opposite the one that was there on the body of the switch and it fits perfectly rightside up so the key dosn't look like it belongs in a Chrysler..
Armando he modified the switch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode