Team Camaro Tech banner

Junk sockets

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  tgifford5 
#1 ·
I have been rewiring the 68 Camaro and am now in the trunk. I bought replacements that look like the originals. I can't get them to lock, they just keep falling out. Any ideas? I would like a better quality/type of socket that would work.

#2 ·
The sockets have always been an issue unfortunatley. I believe AAW can supply you with correct color but you will still have reiability problems with sockets poping out for some mysterious reason.

you can start bending the tabs like everyone else does and hope they hold or break during the process but you will still find one day they have popped out again.

The other option is to go buy the all metal socket at your local part store! The ones i ended up purchasing were for "Ford" but they do not pop out and are a solid unit.

If you like just paint them black or go to the next extreme and drill out your old sockets and slip the plastic casing over the new socket prior to wiring them in if looks really take presedence with functionality.:)

#5 ·
The sockets have always been an issue unfortunatley. I believe AAW can supply you with correct color but you will still have reiability problems with sockets poping out for some mysterious reason.

you can start bending the tabs like everyone else does and hope they hold or break during the process but you will still find one day they have popped out again.

The other option is to go buy the all metal socket at your local part store! The ones i ended up purchasing were for "Ford" but they do not pop out and are a solid unit.

If you like just paint them black or go to the next extreme and drill out your old sockets and slip the plastic casing over the new socket prior to wiring them in if looks really take presedence with functionality.:)
I had the same issue with sockets ordered from one of the main stream autoparts stores. I got a set from one of the resto houses, and they were great.

Anyone need a set of lousy tail light sockets?

#6 ·
From what I see the Dorman 85860 will do the trick. It also has a solder tab for an additional ground wire. I will pick up a couple today and see if they work and post my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.