Junk sockets - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darrell

Garage
Junk sockets

I have been rewiring the 68 Camaro and am now in the trunk. I bought replacements that look like the originals. I can't get them to lock, they just keep falling out. Any ideas? I would like a better quality/type of socket that would work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Camaro, GM Performance ZZ4, TH350 W/Shift Kit, Sanderson Headers, MagnaFlow SS Exhaust, Vintage Air, Unisteer Rack, Dakota Digital, Ididit Column, Eaton Posi, 4 Wheel Disk Brakes, Custom Stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 07:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: Junk sockets

The sockets have always been an issue unfortunatley. I believe AAW can supply you with correct color but you will still have reiability problems with sockets poping out for some mysterious reason.

you can start bending the tabs like everyone else does and hope they hold or break during the process but you will still find one day they have popped out again.

The other option is to go buy the all metal socket at your local part store! The ones i ended up purchasing were for "Ford" but they do not pop out and are a solid unit.

If you like just paint them black or go to the next extreme and drill out your old sockets and slip the plastic casing over the new socket prior to wiring them in if looks really take presedence with functionality.

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 08:53 PM
Senior Tech
BJ

I had the same problem on my new harness and I just bent the tabs a little and they are fine. Shouldn't have to , but that is typical for aftermarket.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Darrell..It looks like your car is going to come out great. Keep up the good work!

" Some like it Hot, I like it Red "... Sammy Hagar
'69 Coupe...Red of course!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 10:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RSSS View Post
The sockets have always been an issue unfortunatley. I believe AAW can supply you with correct color but you will still have reiability problems with sockets poping out for some mysterious reason.

you can start bending the tabs like everyone else does and hope they hold or break during the process but you will still find one day they have popped out again.

The other option is to go buy the all metal socket at your local part store! The ones i ended up purchasing were for "Ford" but they do not pop out and are a solid unit.

If you like just paint them black or go to the next extreme and drill out your old sockets and slip the plastic casing over the new socket prior to wiring them in if looks really take presedence with functionality.
I had the same issue with sockets ordered from one of the main stream autoparts stores. I got a set from one of the resto houses, and they were great.

Anyone need a set of lousy tail light sockets?

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 11, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darrell

Garage

From what I see the Dorman 85860 will do the trick. It also has a solder tab for an additional ground wire. I will pick up a couple today and see if they work and post my opinion.

1968 Camaro, GM Performance ZZ4, TH350 W/Shift Kit, Sanderson Headers, MagnaFlow SS Exhaust, Vintage Air, Unisteer Rack, Dakota Digital, Ididit Column, Eaton Posi, 4 Wheel Disk Brakes, Custom Stripes
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 11, 09:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

I bent the taps IN the sockets, the tabs OUTSIDE the socket, AND the round metal socket inside the plastic one to get a more snug fit on the bulb to keep it from rattling... Come on!

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 11, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

You could also use a little rope caulk (dum dum) around the socket. It would help hold the socket in place better, plus help seal moisture from getting in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode