Any instructions/diagrams on how to install audio in a 67? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Any instructions/diagrams on how to install audio in a 67?

Finally getting around to installing some audio in my car but have no idea where to begin since I have never done a project like this. My car has nothing audio related in it right now so I will be starting from scratch.

Here is what I have so far:

67 AM radio converted to AM/FM with aux input
1 Kenwood dash speaker
2 Kenwood 4x6 speakers for the kick panels
2 Pioneer 6x9 speakers for the rear package shelf
100' of 18 gauge speaker wire

Is there anything else I am missing? Do I need some type of radio harness?

I have provided a pic of the backside of my radio as a reference. Can anyone provide step-by-step instructions on this? Maybe a diagram too? Is this too big a job for someone with very limited knowledge of audio wiring? Should I just take it to someone? I am not afraid of trying it myself but need some help getting started...

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Last edited by cam1967rsss; Oct 12th, 11 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 09:11 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Re: Any instructions/diagrams on how to install audio in a 67?

Do you have any documentation with the radio? Usually, that tells you how to hook everything up. Typically, you will have a hot, a ground and then 4 channels (positive and negative for the speakers) front-left, front-right, rear-left, rear-right.

alan
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 09:35 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Doesn't look too bad but you're not going to be able to fade anything I don't think.

Here is what I would do. It would be a nice little weekend project and would involve pulling the seats out to make things easier.

-Run the speaker level wires (the gray and white pairs) to your stereo dash speaker.
-Put something like a 4 x 60W RMS or so amplifier in the trunk either bolted to the seat back support or upper trunk pan if you don't have a spare and jack....a marine amp will be water resistant if you're worried.
-Use a 15ft RCA cable and run that from your RCA pair down your driver side wiring gutter with the existing rear harness to the trunk. You'll either need a set of RCA y-cables to turn your single set into a pair or use an amp that lets you select four channel mode while using only a single pair of inputs. Typically you want your signal wires away from other voltage sources but I have not had any noise doing it this way with good RCA cables.
-I believe the blue wire is most likely an amp turn on lead so that'll have to be run to the amp as well.
-Run one pair of your speaker wires from the amp back to the front of the car in the driver side wiring gutter with your rear harness and to your kick panel speakers.
-Connect the other set of wires from the amp to your 6x9's.
-You'll need an 8AWG power cable from the battery to the amp if you use one like I mentioned. I've done it a couple of ways. On the last car I drilled a hole below the antenna hole behind the passenger side kick panel, installed a grommet, and ran the fused power cable from the battery -> behind the fender -> through the grommet -> along the passenger side wiring gutter -> into the trunk.
-Clean off a spot on the trunk floor, drill a hole, and use that to ground your amp.

Once you've got everything in you'll need to tune it since you can't really fade anything. One way is to turn your amp gains all the way down and turn your radio volume up 50-70%. Then adjust your amp gains and crossovers up until the sound blends how you want. If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and get a five channel amp and run a 4AWG cable in case you want to add a sub on down the line.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 11, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Doesn't look too bad but you're not going to be able to fade anything I don't think.

Here is what I would do. It would be a nice little weekend project and would involve pulling the seats out to make things easier.

-Run the speaker level wires (the gray and white pairs) to your stereo dash speaker.
-Put something like a 4 x 60W RMS or so amplifier in the trunk either bolted to the seat back support or upper trunk pan if you don't have a spare and jack....a marine amp will be water resistant if you're worried.
-Use a 15ft RCA cable and run that from your RCA pair down your driver side wiring gutter with the existing rear harness to the trunk. You'll either need a set of RCA y-cables to turn your single set into a pair or use an amp that lets you select four channel mode while using only a single pair of inputs. Typically you want your signal wires away from other voltage sources but I have not had any noise doing it this way with good RCA cables.
-I believe the blue wire is most likely an amp turn on lead so that'll have to be run to the amp as well.
-Run one pair of your speaker wires from the amp back to the front of the car in the driver side wiring gutter with your rear harness and to your kick panel speakers.
-Connect the other set of wires from the amp to your 6x9's.
-You'll need an 8AWG power cable from the battery to the amp if you use one like I mentioned. I've done it a couple of ways. On the last car I drilled a hole below the antenna hole behind the passenger side kick panel, installed a grommet, and ran the fused power cable from the battery -> behind the fender -> through the grommet -> along the passenger side wiring gutter -> into the trunk.
-Clean off a spot on the trunk floor, drill a hole, and use that to ground your amp.

Once you've got everything in you'll need to tune it since you can't really fade anything. One way is to turn your amp gains all the way down and turn your radio volume up 50-70%. Then adjust your amp gains and crossovers up until the sound blends how you want. If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and get a five channel amp and run a 4AWG cable in case you want to add a sub on down the line.
Wow! Thanks for the instructions, that is exactly what I needed. Cant wait to tear into it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode