New battery, voltage reg, alt, not charging - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 11, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

New battery, voltage reg, alt, not charging

I have a 1969 Camaro, 350, 4 speed. I have a brandnew battery, voltage regulator,and a rebuilt alternator. I can drive the car then turn it off and the battey will not turn the car over, and there you sit. This also did it with another battery and Optima also, so it is not a battery issue. The alternator was rebuilt and is fine as is th new voltage regulator.I am driving the car to the shop who did he alternator, as he thinks that the voltage regulator does not have any power going to it. Anyone have input on this before I go to the shop. Thanks, Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 11, 09:48 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: New battery, voltage reg, alt, not charging

If your 69 charging system is a still factory set up alternator, Voltage Regulator, and Horn Relay bus.

Here is the wiring diagram for reference.
https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect...g/charging.pdf

The Voltage Regulator should have four wires in the connector.
Three wires from the Alternator:
Terminal F or #1 on the Regulator is Blue wire from the Alternator F port terminal. (Tells the Alternator field to generate power to the battery)

Terminal 2 on the regulator is the white wire from the R terminal of the Alternator.

Terminal 3 on the regulator is the orange fusible link spliced into the red wire that comes from Alternator and connects to the Horn relay which is mounted below the voltage regulator.

Terminal 4 is the brown wire that heads into firewall to the GEN light.

I would start here to make sure the alternator is routing power correctly and more important is being told to charge the battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 11, 09:56 PM
Terry

Is your rebuilt alternator still stock amperage (60A)?
If higher amps, the VR needs to suit. 100A current will fry a stock/similar VR.
I ran into this exact problem last week.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 11, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

The shop gave me the new voltage regulator to go with the new rebuilt alternator. I also have the horn relay next to the voltage regulator and it looks to be orginal. Do not know if this could cause a problem also. As far as wiring goes I cannot get it. The shop owner who is also the one who also works on the stuff said to bring the car down and he can figure it out. Cannot really go anywhere with the battery not holding a charge. Thanks, Jerod
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Is there a electrical device staying on when car is off?
Was a charging voltage measurement made across the battery posts after all new parts installed? Should look for min 13.5 volts to 14.5 volts.

Let us know what the Man finds wrong.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech
Jeremie

It is not unheard of to get a bad new part. I boight a new voltage regulator that was bad about a year ago. I agree with everett, have you checked to make sure there is not a draw on the battery?

69 327/332hp Le Mans Blue

71 C-10
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 05:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Ckeck your grounds,especially the main battery ground both at the battery terminal and at the block.Make sure the wire is not cracked or broken.Physically wiggle the battery terminal to see if it is loose.I had a no start problem a while back.The car would run and charge fine while running,had 13 volts at the battery when the car was off,but would randomly not start,not even a click from the starter.Turned out that the negative battery terminal was loose.By looking at it,it appeared to be tight.I had some one wiggle it while I cranked and the car fired right up.Anything is possible with these cars.Good luck.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 06:14 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlynch71 View Post
As far as wiring goes I cannot get it.
While some wiring can be confusing, Alternator, Voltage Regulator hook up is real easy as there are only three wires to trace. And the wiring diagram posted here shows the colors so its easy as one two three.

If the blue wire on the Voltage Regulator is connected to the F- Field post of the alternator and the connection is good and if the voltage regulator is not damaged and correct amp rating for the alternator then it should trigger a charging state when needed.

I agree with Matt on a double check of the battery connections, as the charging system may be working just fine, but a battery drain or dodgy cable or master connection could be preventing correct grounds and therefore poor or nonexistent charging.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 11, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

The shop said that one of the wires that connects to the voltage regulator would not stay on, so he soldered a new connector onto the wire. He added a ground wire from the voltage regulator, and cleaned up the junction block as it was corrorded. I have the negative battery cable running to the long alternator bolt to the block. He told me to move it to one of the empty holes down by the fuel pump, and to clean the paint beore I mount it. Hope fully this will fix it. As now it turns over then stops then cranks again after a second or two. So it sounds like a ground. Thanks, Jerod
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 11, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Not the best place for a ground cable hook-up, it misaligns the belt by throwing off the alt, but still, a good ground.
However, the places he suggested are good.

Quote:
As now it turns over then stops then cranks again after a second or two. So it sounds like a ground. Thanks, Jerod
A couple reasons could be a partial discharged battery. Yes, it is a new one, but it may not have ever gotten fully charged due to other influences. The other reason could be too much initial ignition advance, but I don't think so. The symptom you gave is the starter stops, then turns - again, battery generating current demand slowly because of its state of charge.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode