Tach drops signal, fuel gauge pegged full - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 11, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Tach drops signal, fuel gauge pegged full

I ran the car up to temp tonight after coming back from the body shop this winter. I have a couple issues that have sprung up that I did not have before it went in.

1. Passenger headlight is running at about half brightness while drivers light is fine.
2. Fuel console gauge is pegged at full when it only has about 1/2 tank.
3. Tach works fine until about 1500 rpm and then it drops off to zero. Let off the gas and it picks back up at around 1500 rpm.

Any ideas from the electrical guru's?

Thanks.

69 SS396 Camaro, 4link, 12bolt posi, Speedtech LCA / UCA's, Hotchkis 2" drop front springs/sway bar, QA'1's, Bilsteins, Wilwood 6 piston front/4 piston rear, Magnaflow stainless exhaust, Lemons Headers, Comp rollers/p-rods/cam, Fikse 18x8.5 and 18x10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 11, 10:02 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Tach drops signal, fuel gauge pegged full

Headlight - maybe ground or bad bulb. Grounds are always an issue with first gens.

Fuel gauge - most likely is the sender ground at the tank strap. Troubleshooter to isolate Gauge, wiring, sender https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...91&postcount=2 You can jump the existing tank strap ground to a new clean one with a alligator test lead if it turns out to be that one as a temp fix.

Tach - check the lead on the coil. Maybe loose or bad coil. Factory setup assumed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 11, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Headlight - maybe ground or bad bulb. Grounds are always an issue with first gens.

Fuel gauge - most likely is the sender ground at the tank strap. Troubleshooter to isolate Gauge, wiring, sender https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...91&postcount=2 You can jump the existing tank strap ground to a new clean one with a alligator test lead if it turns out to be that one as a temp fix.

Tach - check the lead on the coil. Maybe loose or bad coil. Factory setup assumed.
Thanks for the ideas. Headlights are brand new so I will double check the ground. Maybe the body shop didn't tighten the ground on that side properly.
I will check the tank strap ground. Any idea where the factory ground is located?
Coil is a new one. It seemed odd to me that it was fine at lower rpm's and would then quit at that specific rpm.

69 SS396 Camaro, 4link, 12bolt posi, Speedtech LCA / UCA's, Hotchkis 2" drop front springs/sway bar, QA'1's, Bilsteins, Wilwood 6 piston front/4 piston rear, Magnaflow stainless exhaust, Lemons Headers, Comp rollers/p-rods/cam, Fikse 18x8.5 and 18x10

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 11, 11:53 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by g356gear View Post
Thanks for the ideas. Headlights are brand new so I will double check the ground. Maybe the body shop didn't tighten the ground on that side properly.
I will check the tank strap ground. Any idea where the factory ground is located?
Coil is a new one. It seemed odd to me that it was fine at lower rpm's and would then quit at that specific rpm.
The fuel sender ground is attached to the tank strap at the back of the tank by the muffler housing. The ground gets corroded often when just sitting. If you can crawl under the tank its on the passenger side where the fuel line and return enter the tank.

Hum if the coil is new and the lead is tight could the Tach itself. Factory or aftermarket?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 11, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
The fuel sender ground is attached to the tank strap at the back of the tank by the muffler housing. The ground gets corroded often when just sitting. If you can crawl under the tank its on the passenger side where the fuel line and return enter the tank.

Hum if the coil is new and the lead is tight could the Tach itself. Factory or aftermarket?
Tach is an aftermarket repo from eBay.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 11, 10:09 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Steve
I would bench test the tach with a signal tone generator if you have one or access to one and set it to 12 volts DC. Google some how to build one and you can hop over to Radio Shack and cheaply get her done with a 12 volt DC power supply, a few test leads and few different diodes and a switch to test a few "ranges" by switching diodes. Youtube should also have a few ideas. Everett or others here might as well have a way to do it.

Or you can buy a diagnostic tester like this http://www.msdignition.com/product.a...7&terms=tester Plug it in and hook it up

Or sent it off to a rebuild shop for testing.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 11, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So, the passenger ground was not hooked up by the body shop. Problem solved with that issue.

Re-did the coil wiring but the Tach still drops off @ 1500 rpm back to zero and picks up again as the rpm's fall.

Pulled the console gauges and checked the connections there...everything looks good. Checked the rear tank ground and it is still the original connections sealed in undercoating. Wire is perfectly intact.

Wondering if maybe the gauge itself is mechanically bad or physically stuck in the full position. Doesn't move at all when the key is put into the start position.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 11, 10:17 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

OK so Headlight issue fixed.
Fuel Gauge -
Follow my troubleshooting test in the trunk, with the wire disconnected from the sender: I think I sent the link to you but in a nut shell...

Unplug the sender lead in the trunk - in a 69 it is the tan/brown single wire connection.
Turn key to on position.
Gauge should read past full.

Now ground the end of the harness leading back to the gauge - NOT THE LOOSE LEAD GOING UNDER THE FLOOR TO THE SENDER.
Turn key to on position.
Gauge should read past empty.

If it does both past full and past empty the gauge is in working condition and harness back to instrument panel is in working order.

If not you can test the ohms being sent to the gauge as described in the troubleshooting guide for the sender test.

TACH issue - I would get a tester or send it to a shop for diagnostics seems like you have done everything you can on it as it is.

Brian

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 11, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
OK so Headlight issue fixed.
Fuel Gauge -
Follow my troubleshooting test in the trunk, with the wire disconnected from the sender: I think I sent the link to you but in a nut shell...

Unplug the sender lead in the trunk - in a 69 it is the tan/brown single wire connection.
Turn key to on position.
Gauge should read past full.

Now ground the end of the harness leading back to the gauge - NOT THE LOOSE LEAD GOING UNDER THE FLOOR TO THE SENDER.
Turn key to on position.
Gauge should read past empty.

If it does both past full and past empty the gauge is in working condition and harness back to instrument panel is in working order.

If not you can test the ohms being sent to the gauge as described in the troubleshooting guide for the sender test.

TACH issue - I would get a tester or send it to a shop for diagnostics seems like you have done everything you can on it as it is.

Brian
Thanks Brian,
Do you know where the sender lead is located in the trunk?

Steve C

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 11, 11:15 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by g356gear View Post
Thanks Brian,
Do you know where the sender lead is located in the trunk?

Steve C
Yes right under the trunk latch you will see the connector - Three wires, two bundled and the tan/brown wire is a single connection that then travels through the trunk floor by the fuel filler.

Disconnect it there, and then attach an alligator clip to the harness bundle connection where you disconnected the sender single tan/brown wire and ground it to the trunk latch. This will ground the gauge. This should peg the gauge at past empty. If it does then your gauge and harness are in working order and the sender is at fault.

Even though the ground looks good it may not be, but you can use a multimeter and check the ohms through the sender. Half full tank should be around 45ohms. Use the disconnected end that travels through the trunk to the sender.

Maybe the sender float is stuck, or its bad. Ohms will tell you if it is sending ohms or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode