Bosch Relays, Diodes and Resistors - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Bosch Relays, Diodes and Resistors

Hi guys -

I understand the concept of voltage spike suppression with a relay, but don't really know what equipment it might damage in my car. I have a couple of Bosch relays wired into my car - one for the starter and one for the electric RS headlight doors, wired from the headlight switch. Both of these relays have an internal resistor across posts 85 & 86 for suppression purposes.

My research tells me that a diode does a better job than a resistor.

My questions:

- If I add a diode to the socket will it be compatible with the internal resistor?

- Is the resistor alone "good enough"? I don't have any stereo equipment. The electonics I might be concerned about are the gauges, the tach and the MSD E-curve distributor.

Thanks for any insight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 02:21 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Bosch Relays, Diodes and Resistors

A quick search found this...

Resistor: When a voltage is applied across a resistor, an electric field is established. This electric field "pushes" the charge carriers through the resistor. This "push" gives the charge carriers a "drift velocity" in the direction from high potential energy to low potential energy. As the voltage increases, the drift velocity increases. Since the amount of current flowing through a resistor is directly proportional to the drift velocity, the current is directly proportional to the voltage, which produces the electric field, which produces the drift velocity. This is the origin of Ohm's Law.

Diode: However, in a diode, the number of charge carriers is dependent on the number of electrons that have enough energy to move up an energy hill and across the p-n junction, producing current flow through the diode. The size of this hill, or energy barrier, is dependent on the amount and type of dopants in the semiconductor material of which the diode is made. As a voltage is applied (in the forward bias), the size of the hill is decreased, so more electrons have the energy needed to cross the p-n junction producing current flow. The number of electrons with the energy needed to move up the hill and across the junction increases exponentially as the voltage increases. Thus, the current increases exponentially as the voltage increases.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

A zener diode is best, in the ranges of 1/8-1/2 amp, 16V-18V (pick a voltage level) and attach across the coil with the arrow pointing away from ground/return or the white line on the supply side.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 04:39 AM
r_w
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Everett is right about the zener. Relays are typically only a problem when they actuate, the making and breaking of the contacts is "noisy.".

Most likely to be impacted is a pop on the radio.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 05:12 AM
Senior Tech

It's not the contacts that you are suppressing, it's the coil. When the coil is de-energized it generates inductive kick, same as you get with your ignition coil.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 06:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

sorry for the hijack, but in laymans (english for idiots like myself) terms, what diode should be placed across which terminals on a bosch type relay, given the posted info?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 07:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
It's not the contacts that you are suppressing, it's the coil. When the coil is de-energized it generates inductive kick, same as you get with your ignition coil.

So is 1 pos and 3 neg or 1 neg and 3 pos.

That is what Derek wants to know.

I believe 1 is pos and 3 is neg.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

The diode across the relay coil you have pictured above, is to suppress ac line transients from falsely energizing the relay (re: relay chatter).

That is typical for an RF circuit to shunt a coil as pictured, as RF is harder to control.

Relays and the function of them will have no adverse effects on gauges, tachs and MSD's.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech

The diode serves to suppress the inductive kick when you de-energize the coil. In the diagram, 1 would be the +DCV and 3 is ground.

Diode snubbers
Main article: Flyback diode

When the current flowing is DC, a simple rectifier diode is often employed as another form of snubber. The snubber diode is wired in parallel with an inductive load (such as a relay coil or electric motor). The diode is installed so that it does not conduct under normal conditions. When current to the inductive load is rapidly interrupted, a large voltage spike would be produced in the reverse direction (as the inductor attempts to keep current flowing in the circuit). This spike is known as an "inductive kick". Placing the snubber diode in inverse parallel with the inductive load allows the current from the inductor to flow through the diode rather than through the switching element, dissipating the energy stored in the inductive load over the series resistance of the inductor and the (usually much smaller) resistance of the diode (over-voltage protection). One disadvantage of using a simple rectifier diode as a snubber is that the diode allows current to continue flowing, which may cause the relay to remain actuated for slightly longer; some circuit designs must account for this delay in the dropping-out of the relay. This delay often leads to greatly decreased life of the relay contacts due to arcing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snubber

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 11, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Interesting.....and thanks!

I'm assuming the GM starter solenoid produces this same spike, as does the horn relay, and that the GM engineers thought it wasn't a problem? Am I worried about nothing?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 11, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes, it does. But, accessories are off during the start position.
By the time the ign/acc voltage comes into play, spike is gone.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 11, 09:39 AM
r_w
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
Actually both. The coil generates the most noise, but we've had to turn on contacts soft with a parallel FET to pass radiated emissions in the past, depending on the spec.

Thanks for the correction though, I'm the mechanical guy of our group and all this invisible electric hocus pocus stuff, well, you just can't see it.

All that said I wouldn't worry about it too much...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 11, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech

The contacts are in a totally separate circuit from the coil, hence the diode only snubs the coil. You may employ other devices to reduce contact arcing, but it will be another device.

Here is some interesting data from Arc Suppression Technologies:

http://arcsuppressiontechnologies.co...ubberMyth.aspx

http://arcsuppressiontechnologies.co...20Snubbers.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode