69 with a/c engine compartment wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 11, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Rob

69 with a/c engine compartment wiring

I have an unused OR ,single, possible 14G wire with a rubber boot on the end, exiting the wiring harness( in the vicinity of the heater blower resister). No power to it with ignition on. Is this possibly used on a non/ac car?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm having problems with the blower fan working properly, in all speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 11, 11:56 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: 69 with a/c engine compartment wiring

What color is the wire?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 11, 04:49 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Is it an orange wire? or a tan one?
Under hood light, aftermarket choke?

Do you have cowl induction hood options not being used? Check the fuse block for tie in wire, and the back of the accelerator for a one time or current switch as it could be the solenoid connection for the hood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 11, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

All 69's had the non A/C blower motor wire in the plastic wireway on the firewall above the engine. The A/C cars ahd a completely separate harness added to the car to connect the evaporator hardware and blower motor to the dash controls. The factory was suppossed to cut the non A/C blower motor wire off, tape up the lead and stuff it back into the wireway. Sometimes they forgot, or just stuffed the whole connector into the wireway. Its not connected to anything inside the car, since it originally would have come from the blower motor resistor bank that was in the inside heater core air duct box, which is obvioulsy not there in an a/c car.

If you have no speeds on the fan, check the fuse under the dash, then check to see if your compressor is engaging when you put the switch in A/C mode. If its not, check for power on the low temperature switch terminals (power to the clutch goes thru that connector) on the passenger side of the suitcase. If you don't have power there, but the fuse is good, then you have a problem with the low blow switch on the back left side of the heater control panel.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 11, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Rob

Here is what I currently have:

Fan only operates in Medium 2(fan switch is new)

No power at 18G ORANGE from switch to the relay with switch on high)

Relay for high speed checks OK and fan operates when wires are jumped

a/c clutch engages when the wires at the compressor are jumped but not with the a/c position on the control panel itself.

In line fuse checks OK with power verified at 12G Orange connection to relay.

Fuse in firewall box checks OK

low speed blower switch(bottom of control panel) checks OK when removed.

I've been working on this for weeks now and would sure like to solve it. It's the last thing to fix before I call the car "complete" and "turn-key", with everything working as it should.

Let me know if there is more specific wiring info I can post that may help someone figure out how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks in adance...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 11, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Rob

I located the wire terminal(tan from the harness and dark green from the compressor) on the passenger side of the suitcase you mentioned. There is no power to either wire with a/c selected. I believe you indicated there should be power there with a/c selected....is that correct?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 11, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Rob

I'm beginning to think there was a contest to see who could design and a/c &heat system using the most wires, connectors, relays, etc. on this car.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 11, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Rob

I believe everything is working properly now. It was "restorer error". I reversed the connections to the fan speed switch and low speed blower switch. Murphy's Law got me. The connectors fit both the same. I should have marked them for re-installing them, or double checked the wire coloring. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode