Electric fan keeps blowing fuse. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randal

Electric fan keeps blowing fuse.

As an avid viewer, but first time poster I am anxious to see how the communal knowledge of thousands can help troubleshoot my fan problem. I've installed an electric fan with a Mr. Gasket thermostatic wiring kit in place of the clutched factory fan and have been running my 68 vert in above average CT summer weather for the last two weeks without any problems. Yesterday I smelled some burning, and the fan stopped operating so I checked the fuse to find it blown and the end caps looked like they had become un-soldered. I've had no problem for two weeks so I'm confused. It seems like the fan was running constantly at operating temp without any breaks which seems odd to me as well. I have the ignition activated 12-volt power supply run to the available ACC spade on the fuse panel and the constant 12-volt supply line attached to the right hand tab on the horn relay as if sitting in the driverís seat. itís a short season here in CT so I better figure this out soon of I just might go out and buy a Prius. Just kidding. any help is very appreciated.

Last edited by 68 CoNvErTiBle; Jun 26th, 12 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 10:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Electric fan keeps blowing fuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 CoNvErTiBle View Post
As an avid viewer, but first time poster I am anxious to see how the communal knowledge of thousands can help troubleshoot my fan problem. I've installed an electric fan with a Mr. Gasket thermostatic wiring kit in place of the clutched factory fan and have been running my 68 vert in above average CT summer weather for the last two weeks without any problems. Yesterday I smelled some burning, and the fan stopped operating so I checked the fuse to find it blown and the end caps looked like they had become un-soldered. I've had no problem for two weeks so I'm confused. It seems like the fan was running constantly at operating temp without any breaks which seems odd to me as well. I have the ignition activated 12-volt power supply run to the available ACC spade on the fuse panel and the constant 12-volt supply line attached to the right hand tab on the horn relay as if sitting in the driverís seat. itís a short season here in CT so I better figure this out soon of I just might go out and buy a Prius. Just kidding. any help is very appreciated.
Are you feeding the fan (rather than a relay which powers the fan) through the fuse block?

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randal

Ill include the Mr. Gasket wiring diagram that I followed when installing the set-up. I used the kit supplied relay and all of their wire too.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Ill include the Mr. Gasket wiring diagram that I followed when installing the set-up. I used the kit supplied relay and all of their wire too.
Did you install the optional on/off switch? I ask because I don't understand the ground going into the on/off switch - it should simply provide 12v to the "signal" side of the relay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randal

That is a negative. I did not install the on/off switch (it sort of seems like wiring in another liability to me) The instructions recomended "If optional "on/off" switch is not used, do not crimp female connector onto wire. Insulate wire (GREEN) end using a good grade electrical tape to prevent the possibility of an electrical short."
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randal

The part that confuses me is that everything has been fine for about an entire week of daily driving and suddenly this. Can the fan motor have failed in some way and be causing this. Also do you think I should be concerned with the addiquit level of cooling this set-up provides if the fan while moving is still running all the time?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 11:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
The part that confuses me is that everything has been fine for about an entire week of daily driving and suddenly this. Can the fan motor have failed in some way and be causing this. Also do you think I should be concerned with the addiquit level of cooling this set-up provides if the fan while moving is still running all the time?
If you're just running around town, I wouldn't be surprised if the fans are on most/all of the time. (I hear it's hot back there.) Try going for a freeway run when it's cooler and see if the fans dis-enage. Do you have a coolant temperature gauge? If so, what's it telling you?

If you're blowing fuses in the fuse panel, the issue is on the sensor/relay side. If you need to troubleshoot it, I'd confirm that all the wiring is correct, swap the relay to see if the relay has failed and then see if there's some way of determining in the sensor has failed - perhaps throw an ohmmeter across it when the car is cold and then see what readings you get as the car warms up.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

So take the cycling factor out of the picture, the fans are rated start-run-stop repeatedly with a 25a fuse. This 25a fuse is melting the solder out of the ends, and you distinguished a burn smell. The fan/fuse circuit was electrically budgeted properly I assume from the manufacturer.

One, or both, fans are defective. Once the fan heats up it draws more current. The burning smell could be the motor windings (laminate) wire burning and then shorting against itself = more current draw. That equates to fewer windings, less resistance, more current draw.

Another scenario is the fuse holder does not make solid contact against fuse causing a heated/arching connection which will melt solder.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randal

Unfortunately I do not have a temp gauge but my infrared thermometer said the rad temp was about 250 when I noticed the issue. my coolant had been bubbling into the overflow so it was really hot. also the fuse in question that is popping in the inline 35 amp just before the fan so I would believe it's an internal issue with the fan motor itself or the relay, but who's to know for sure. Can you test a relay with a multi-meter? if so how?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 11:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Unfortunately I do not have a temp gauge but my infrared thermometer said the rad temp was about 250 when I noticed the issue. my coolant had been bubbling into the overflow so it was really hot. also the fuse in question that is popping in the inline 35 amp just before the fan so I would believe it's an internal issue with the fan motor itself or the relay, but who's to know for sure. Can you test a relay with a multi-meter? if so how?
I missed that part - I thought the fuse that was blowing was in the fuse block.

Chops is right.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 01:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Do you have a DC amprobe to check the current draw on the fans. Either a fan is bad or the fuse block has a bad connection to the fuse like mentioned above. I doubt it is the relay.

I would also run a seperate relay and fuse for each fan. Then if one blows the fuse there is your problem. I dont like the 1 relay and 1 fuse suppling 2 fans and I wire them all the time.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randal

I'm only running one fan so I can't troubleshoot that but I agree it would be wise to have a two relay set-up in the event of a dual fan rig. I think ill test the fan tomorrow and post my findings. Thanks for the idea, if I'm destroying 32 amp inline glass fuses then my gut says its the fan.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 11, 07:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
Did you install the optional on/off switch? I ask because I don't understand the ground going into the on/off switch - it should simply provide 12v to the "signal" side of the relay.
The ground on the switch is because the switch lites up when on, the bulb has to be grounded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Either a fan is bad or the fuse block has a bad connection to the fuse like mentioned above. I doubt it is the relay.
Can't be the relay it's on the supply side of the fuse. You need a new fan motor or a heavier duty fuse holder. IMHO

Jeff
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 11, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randal

What sort of amperage draw should i expect to see form a cooling fan?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 11, 11:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Depends on the size of the motor. On initial startup around 20 amps and running constant 10 to 15 amps.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
blown fan fuse, electric fan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode