1967 brake tail and dash lights went kapoot @ once - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 11, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
kp

Question 1967 brake tail and dash lights went kapoot @ once

Hello All,
I'm lost...and have lost My tail lights, Brake lights and Dash Lights went out at the same time on my 67. I have torn the dash out and replaced the headlight switch and no help. I can jumper the red lead in the switch to the brown wire in the switch and I get tail lights. When I connect the new or old switch I get zippo. In the light switch connector there are 2 orange wires that are hot when the switch is pushed in and go dead when I attempt to turn lights on. As I said I'm lost.......

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by Docheese; Aug 7th, 11 at 07:36 PM. Reason: lack year info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 11, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
kp

Re: 1967 brake tail and dash lights went kapoot @ once

Here is another weird thing that started as well with the light switch pulled half way out for running lights on, the left turn indicator lights up but goes away with light switch pulled out all the way. The headlights and high beams work still.

Last edited by Docheese; Aug 7th, 11 at 08:03 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 11, 08:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Have you checked the fuses? I think the tail and brakes are on the same fuse so if it blows they both go. I know for sure the dash lights are fed thru the tail light fuse so when it goes so do the dash lights.

Jeff

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 11, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
kp

Hello Jeff,
I checked the fuses and all seems right. I will check the fuse block with a meter in the morning. I was able to jumper from the switch connector to the tail lights and they worked. Is the fuse before the switch or behind the switch?
Thanks,
Kevin
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 11, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
kp

Alright here was the fix. The voltage at the fuse block was good with no lights the minute the lights were turned on the voltage at the fuse block died.

I disconnected the two engine compartment harnesses at the bulkhead of the fuse block and pulled the fuse block from the inner fire wall and split the block. It turns out that the red power wire spade connector had rusted and one side of the connector had split off and left a marginal connection.

I replaced the connector and viola all is right with the world (except for the fact that we are being plunged into the financial abyss).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 11, 03:08 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docheese View Post
Alright here was the fix. The voltage at the fuse block was good with no lights the minute the lights were turned on the voltage at the fuse block died.

I disconnected the two engine compartment harnesses at the bulkhead of the fuse block and pulled the fuse block from the inner fire wall and split the block. It turns out that the red power wire spade connector had rusted and one side of the connector had split off and left a marginal connection.

I replaced the connector and viola all is right with the world (except for the fact that we are being plunged into the financial abyss).
Fuse blocks always looked so cool as a kid but in my advancing years I all too soon learned they are a royal PITA when a connection goes bad behind or a fuse clip breaks off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 11, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good job in troubleshooting and the fix.
I'll have to work until I'm 90 to retire..........

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode