Headlight upgrade - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 11, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

Send a message via Yahoo to cadmanof50s
Headlight upgrade

My '68 has a set of T3 headlamps.
Correct as they are, their light is yellowish and not that bright.
I would like to pull out the lamps, carefully store them away and put in updated headlights.

I know nothing about the different lamps and conversions that are available. I read through many posts..and I have decided I want to modify as little as possible.

All I want is something brighter. If possible I want to stay with a 7" sealed-beam that is a direct replacement for the T3. Do they make such a thing as a Halogen sealed beam?
Will my wiring and headlight switch take the current load from a halogen lamp?

I don't have to have fancy colored headlamps...just something brighter than I have today.

Thanks!

Vic

Vic Brincat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

383 SB, AFR 195 Heads, 670 Holley, Doug Thorley Tri-Y Headers, Lunati "Voodo" roller cam, Weiand 8150 Intake, Scorpion Edurance Rockers, 700r4, Eaton Posi with 3.73 gears, Front Discs, Summit Legend 5 - 15" with BF Goodrich TAs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 11, 08:25 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Headlight upgrade

There are a few decent H style conversion kits out there that use the existing setup and harness. A converter plugs into the standard plug and the sealed beam gets replaced with a plastic lens to house the halogen bulb. It is a quick conversion and works well. Here is a link to a conversion at Ricks http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-h...1967-1981.html

There are also those who put HID systems in which are NOT street legal since they can blind on-coming drivers because of the lack of a self leveling system. If someone would design that system HID could be legal, but until such time all those conversion kits being sold are not legal and should not be used.

Here are some other solutions using the existing T3 system intact. Many folks have installed power relays so power tap comes straight from battery side direct power, much brighter output since not using power from the alternator side. Here is a great how to from Mad Electrical:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...adlights.shtml

Others report that a simple change of the old style mechanical Voltage Regulator to a solid state external makes all the difference in the world for some.

I have a solid state VR myself, but I never had dull headlights with my mechanical one so I can't say myself if that was enough to boost output at the headlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 11, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The problems with dim headlamps:
1. External reg'd alts put out less voltage, especially with more electrical loads applpied.
You can check this voltage at the battery posts, or, at the headlamp socket.
2. Along with #1, the lamp power goes through the firewall twice, battery to h/lamp switch to dimmer sw to lamps. Dimmer switch might need replacing.
Measure voltage at the h/lamp socket and you might see 11+ volts.

A couple of fixes are install an internally reg'd alt and/or wire in a relay for each h/lamp using localized power, ie, pass side junction block for pass h/lamp, horn relay buss bar for drvr side h/lamp. And of course, ensuring a good ground is provided for all circuits to complete the circuit.

There are halogen lamps on the market as well as HID's, high intensity discharge lamps. There will require localized power due to the current drawn and h/lamp circuit becomes a control circuit instead of a function circuit.

Brain & I wrote at the same time. Yes, as Brian suggested, installing an electronic VR, Wells P/N VR715, does improve the performance of electrical system, plug & play.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 11, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

Thanks guys.

Everything is brand new or rebuilt. (Including wiring). So IMHO all components are functioning as they were intend to. I think the issues is I'm just used to driving newer vehicles which by their nature have better illumination systems.

I will look into using a Solid state external regulator.

If that doesn't work, I will investigate adding individual relays to head headlamp.

I definitely don't want to do an HID "conversion" especially if it implies anything legally questionable. But the one conversion from Rick's Camaros looks like the least amount of rewiring and work. (Will I still need to convert the existing wiring to handle higher current with this conversion...??)

Thanks again folks.
Let me try of out some of the suggestions.

Vic Brincat

383 SB, AFR 195 Heads, 670 Holley, Doug Thorley Tri-Y Headers, Lunati "Voodo" roller cam, Weiand 8150 Intake, Scorpion Edurance Rockers, 700r4, Eaton Posi with 3.73 gears, Front Discs, Summit Legend 5 - 15" with BF Goodrich TAs
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 11, 10:29 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I have Wagner Halogen sealed beam bulbs in my '69 that require no changes to your charging system and no mods to your car. Take the old lamp out and replace it with these...

They won't break the bank either.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WA...%7cYear%7c1969

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 11, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

Thanks Dennis,

After reading your post I went down to my local car parts jobber and asked for a set of halogen sealed-beams. Sure enough, they had a pair of 7" round made by Sylvania.

They were not quite as cheap as the ones you suggested but certainly reasonably priced. Installed them..and they worked great!! I ran the car with the lights on for a few hours to make sure that they weren't going to tax the electrical system and cause a fault. No problems.

The only thing I had to do (for what ever reason) is reset the aim a bit. Otherwise...they were a no-brainer swap and they illuminate much better than the old T3s.

Thanks Dennis and all.

Vic

Vic Brincat

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 11, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech

Vic...check for pm, eh?

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 11, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

Capt, got your PM.

I did reply, but not sure if my replies are going through. So please email me privately at [email protected].

Vic

Vic Brincat

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 11, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech

Got your pm...and answered.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 11, 06:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I went with the Sylvania Silver Star Halogen headlights. No fancy hookups needed. Nice and bright white light. I got them from Advance Auto a while back for $26.00 each.

Kev
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 11, 07:00 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Thanks Dennis ! I'm ordering mine tonite.
Had no idea they were that affordable. My lites are about as bright as candles.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 11, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

I did the MAD electric relay conversion for my headlites and changed to the Sylvania Silver Star Lamps (H6024), night and day difference. I now have bright lites. One other thing to look into is the voltage regulator, I had pulsing from the old mechanical regulator and changed it out for a new electrioic one. Got it at Autozone around $14 (Wells VR715), I also put the old cover on the new regulator for a better look.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

I have purchased an electronic voltage regulator to replace my old mechanical. (Has not arrived yet).

But did not deploy relays for the headlights. I have been running with the new headlights for several days...no issues. I would think that if they were drawing too high of a current load, the circuit breaker on the headlight switch would have kicked in. There is a circuit breaker on the headlight switch, right?

Vic

Vic Brincat

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Vic,

Right

Everett

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 12, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Is there any problem with using these new Halogen bulbs (6024) in our cars without the relays.. I have a new Factory Fit American Auto Wire harness and don't want to burn out anything. I heard the wiring can get hot.. And the lights could "flicker".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode