1969 Camaro water temp gauge for console gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 11, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question 1969 Camaro water temp gauge for console gauge

Help. Not a master mechanic....brand new wiring and brand new console gauge package......water temp gauge is not working.

I have read where there might be a possibility that the water temperature sensor that goes into the head should have a threaded rod to attach the wire to with a nut, rather than the the style that has a "nail head" to connect a slide on wire connector.

Help!!! Is this my problem?? I currently have the nail head style, whereas the wiring harness came with a round loop connector....leading me to believe I have the wrong sensor.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 11, 11:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: 1969 Camaro water temp gauge for console gauge

Wrong sensor. You can't use the same sensor one uses with the dash warning lights. Check your usual atermarket vendors for the one you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 11, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Found it!!! Thanks

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 11, 11:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

nice!

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 11, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Mayday....trouble again! I just installed the new CORRECT sensor, connected everything and...............Nothing. still no temperature reading.

How do I test the new gauge to see if it is okay.....any suggestions??
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 12:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Bleh... Well, you'll have to do some experimenting then. Are you sure there is a good connection all the way from the sendor connector to the back of the gauge (no opens or shorts)? My brand new harnesses from AAW had two issues that needed to be fixed (not temp gauge related)...

The higher the temp., the lower the resistance from the sendor. With another person, you could short the sendor lead to ground to see if it will peg the gauge needle. Though, putting some resistor in there would keep things a little more on the tame side. Say...100 ohms.

Here is something I saved from another thread. It has all the values of resistance at various temps for three different brands of sendors. Your could also heat yours up in some water on the stove and see if the resistance is close to the listings...

quote: Gauge normally reads 1 tick above 1/4 scale with the engine operating around 180 degrees, thats just how the originals work.

Heres some resistance values for three senders 6 dollar TU5 Wells sender from Autozone, 25 dollar "correctly calibrated" Lectric Limited model 01513321, and an original GM 1513321 sender (for a Pontiac Firebird - one with the slide on connector- Camaros use a 1513462 with a screw on lug).

80 degrees: Wells at 650 ohms, LL at 573 ohms, GM at 549
90 degrees: Wells at 526 ohms, LL at 445 ohms, GM at 524
100 degrees: Wells at 429 ohms, LL at 365 ohms, GM at 409
110 degrees: Wells at 328 ohms, LL at 266 ohms, GM at 365
120 degrees: Wells at 283 ohms, LL at 227 ohms, GM at 323
130 degrees: Wells at 250 ohms, LL at 200 ohms, GM at 272
140 degrees: Wells at 216 ohms, LL at 170 ohms, GM at 227
150 degrees: Wells at 198 ohms, LL at 155 ohms, GM at 195
160 degrees: Wells at 173 ohms, LL at 133 ohms, GM at 175
170 degrees: Wells at 157 ohms, LL at 119 ohms, GM at 157
180 degrees: Wells at 135 ohms, LL at 101 ohms, GM at 140
190 degrees: Wells at 120 ohms, LL at 89 ohms, GM at 125
200 degrees: Wells at 109 ohms, LL at 79 ohms, GM at 109
212 degrees: Wells at 104 ohms, LL at 75 ohms, GM at 102

If you have a gauge with an external resistor you can change it from the stock 86 ihm resistor to a 91 ohm resistor and that will move the gauge up to 1 tick below half, at 180 degrees. I've done that, I use a potentiometer with two short leads on it, I adjust it to what i want the gauge to read and then lock it down in a ball of electrical tape so it can't change. If your gauge has the resistor built into it, then you have to live with it reading low, or get a sender that has a lower resistance at each of the temps above. As you can see the LL sender had a lower resistance throughout the range of the instrument for any given temperature so the needle would be higher on the gauge for the same temperature. :unquote

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 12:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Oh, and sometimes people put on a bunch of teflon tape and the sensor can't get a good ground...

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 11, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
Oh, and sometimes people put on a bunch of teflon tape and the sensor can't get a good ground...

Dam i also have the same problem... but i purchassed the sender from Ricks and i did purchase the one thats suited to my camaro and yes did have the small threaded lug... I did use teflon... but from looking at the threads they are tappered so i dont think i need the teflon and thats what may be stopping it from working.
BTW: my camaro came with gauge pack (factory)

I will also do the test you have mentioned with a 100ohm
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 11, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

And sometimes people forget to ground the two gauge backing plates together with a short jumper, and then to ground with the single ground lead provided in the harness.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 06:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
And sometimes people forget to ground the two gauge backing plates together with a short jumper, and then to ground with the single ground lead provided in the harness.

Guys

I did the 100ohm Test from the Green cable thats connected to the sender unit and it worked fine the Temp gauge moved so thats all good. the problem i think lies in the sender unit i purchassed it from Ricks and i did use teflon tape, im thinking it could be the problem or it may be the wrong type.

does anybody know the correct sender unit I should be using, its a 69 RS camaro with the gauge package factory installed.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 07:02 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

You can test the sender by removing the sender from the block, then grounding the sender, hooking the lead up to the gauge, then stick the end of the sender into a pot of boiling water. Be careful etc as it is boiling water after all.

The gauge should peg and then decrease as the boiling water cools down. If this works then the Teflon is preventing the sender from grounding on the block. If it doesn't work double check your ground. If that still doesn't work check the ohms off the sender. If it is a idiot light switch it will only have two states ground and ungrounded. The grounded state lights the idiot light. You can test that with the multi-meter.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 11:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Garage

Hi Ok

will do that test... i dont think we have an idiot light installed the gauge is on the centre console and from what i know I dont have it.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 11, 05:46 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

O-kay. BTW you don't need the idiot light to test to see if the sender is a gauge sender or a idiot light switch. Just a meter or test light or power probe tool will do.

The idiot light switch version will be just that - a switch with only two states on, grounded and off ungrounded. All you need to do is test in air unheated by the boiling water if it is off - ungrounded - can't pass voltage - with meter or test light probe. Then dump in the boiling water it goes grounded and lights the probe or kicks the meter.

The gauge sender version will have degrees of resistance in ohms as it goes through a range of possible temperature readouts. The temps and ohms are posted in this thread above by CB.

Happy testing. Should know in a short period of time what you have for a sender and if it is calibrated correctly.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 11, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

You may not be able to get a temperature switch to close in boiling water. I would suspect the switch wont close until the engine reaches around 235 degrees or higher. Might take a judisciaous application of a propane torch flame to the base to get the temp high enough to close the switch.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 11, 08:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

He has a guage, not a idiot light. So water temperature will cause the guage to move. If he has hot water the guage will move.

Either boil/heat some water and put sending unit in water to see if the guage will move or put some water in a metal pan and heat with a propane torch. Do you have a temperaure meter / guage to compare with for the console guage.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode